This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Song of the Beginning

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Song of the Beginning

Postby Mehinen » Jul 29, 2016 10:21 am

This was the work of a nice weekend day. I had seen years ago a great painting of Aslan singing the world into existence, and had wanted to do something like it ever since. This seemed like a good time to try, and here it is! It was done with black markers. Also, it has been a very long time since I last read The Magician's Nephew, so I had forgotten the order the things were created. So, let's put it down to artistic licence that Aslan is creating the grass in starlight and not in sunlight.

And here is a larger version.
My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Song of the Beginning

Postby johobbit » Jul 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Mehinen, your stirring work is beautiful, giving me goosebumps. You capture Aslan and his creation singing so, so well! He feels really alive to me. The textures of your drawing are very effective: for example, the shading on the mountains. There is so much life in this picture!

I think artistic license can be allowed for. ;))
johobbit

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 29, 2016 10:10 pm

That is beautiful, Mehinen! It almost looks like a movie poster for The Magician's Nephew. :ymapplause:
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 01, 2016 6:21 am

Oh. Wow. That is stunning, Mehinen! I love the way the grass is rippling out from Aslan... it's a gorgeous visual for the song.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Pretzel » Aug 02, 2016 9:07 pm

OH MY GASH. That is amazing. Woooowwww. You're really good. It really does look like it could be a movie promo poster.
Pretzel
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Mehinen » Aug 08, 2016 2:36 am

I didn't expect a response quite like this. :ymblushing:

johobbit: Thank you! I'm glad it had such an effect on you, giving goosebumps! I think that as the world was newly created, it must have been virtually bursting with life, and it would all be coming from the lion. So, it's really nice to hear that it looks alive :D .

The Rose-tree Dryad: Thank you! Oh, I didn't think like it when doing it, but now that you said it, I could really see it as a poster, with greyish-blue tones and Aslan shining with white or golden-white light and casting shadows over even the distant mountains...

Meltintalle: Thank you! I'm glad to hear that the grass worked, I was a little afraid that it wouldn't make sense to have it spread like that. "... [a] visual for the song", I didn't notice it myself but I really like that view! :)

Pretzel: Thank you, and welcome to Narniaweb! It is really nice to hear how much you liked it. Now I'm almost tempted to color it on the computer to make it poster-like... :-?
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby johobbit » Aug 08, 2016 5:30 am

Ooh, I meant to say a big Ditto re the rippling grass. This effect adds beautifully to the movement and dynamic life of the scene.

Now I'm almost tempted to color it on the computer to make it poster-like... :-?

It sure would be interesting to see that result too! B-)
johobbit

Postby Pretzel » Aug 08, 2016 9:16 pm

Mehinen wrote:Now I'm almost tempted to color it on the computer to make it poster-like... :-?

=o Dooo iiiittt. It would be amazing. Image
Pretzel
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby narnian1 » Aug 09, 2016 7:23 pm

Can't say more than what's already been said: this is stunning work!
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Aug 11, 2016 5:24 pm

This is stunning Mehinen. I wish I can put into words just how breathtaking it really is. Great job!
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 21, 2016 7:57 pm

Wow, Mehinen! The detailing on your picture is incredible. Like Mel said, the grass flowing out is very nice, and I also like the starry sky. I would be very interested to see it coloured! :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Mehinen » Sep 15, 2016 7:44 am

Finally, here is the colored version with the original image printed on ordinary copy paper and colored with acrylics. I'm sorry for the low quality of the image, I have no idea why it is slightly fuzzy.

narnian1: Thank you, I'm glad you like it! :)

DamselJillPole: Thank you; it is also hard, almost impossible, to put into words how heartwarming these comments are!

ValiantArcher: I wanted to show the sky full of stars and their light, as it was brand new and everything was bright, so it is really nice to know you liked the sky :D . Thank you!
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby johobbit » Sep 15, 2016 12:21 pm

Oh, oh, oh! 'Tis marvelous, Mehinen. Everything we said above has been augmented in such a beautiful and vibrant way. 'Though the black and white is stunning too. I especially like how the glittering starry sky comes alive in this second drawing. Bravo! I'd love this as framed artwork in our home. :D
johobbit

Postby wild rose » Sep 15, 2016 1:01 pm

oooh, I love it so much! That is truly stunning work!!! I think the mountains are the best part for me. Acryllics have a majesty to them, their not my favorite to work with but I love looking at art others have created with them. It's truly a work of art. So beautiful!
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Ohh, that is lovely!! :ymapplause: The colors you chose really enhance the primordial aura of the original drawing... it looks so ancient and cold, with golden Aslan in the center as the first warm breath of a newborn world. Awe-inspiring. :D
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 15, 2016 2:20 pm

Gorgeous! I particularly like how the sky is so full of stars.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Next