This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Aug 21, 2017 - Eclipse in Missouri (hopefully), come join us

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Aug 21, 2017 - Eclipse in Missouri (hopefully), come join us

Postby fantasia » Jul 01, 2016 1:43 pm

King_Erlian's post here got me thinking... back in the day NarniaWebbers had a few opportunities here and there to meet each other, either through Lion Parties or other gatherings like that. But now that we don't really have any Narnia related reasons to get together, we don't have the opportunity to meet in person.

Well, I wanted to let you all know that some of the mods and I are planning a get-together for the 2017 eclipse. We are going to be meeting probably starting the evening of August 19, 2017, doing some fun things in Kansas City, Missouri on the 20th, and then traveling a very short distance to watch the eclipse on the 21st.
I'm in the very early stages of planning so the details are not at all worked out yet. What I do know is that if you are interested in coming, you need to find a place to stay pretty much asap. Most hotels are already full because a full solar eclipse is a rather rare thing.
So if you are interested in coming, please post here in the thread, so I know whether or not to include you in planning details. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: Aug 21, 2017 - Eclipse in Kansas (hopefully), come join us

Postby stargazer » Jul 03, 2016 1:46 pm

I've been looking forward to this eclipse since...well, for a few decades now. ;)) (Ryadian's father and I drove to Canada for the last one covering part of the continental US way back in 1979, and we made passing references to how very old we'd be at the next one. And now it's coming up fast!)

The NASA eclipse web site has an interactive map that allows you to see how long the eclipse will last, when it will be, and where the sun will be in the sky. While the sun will be totally covered anywhere between the two blue lines marking the track, the closer you are to the center line (red) the better. At best totality lasts less than three minutes, and it goes by very fast! If you're near the outer edge of totality it is only a few seconds, and it may come and go before your eyes have a chance to adjust.

Weather and lodging accommodations are crucial, especially for this event, when millions may travel.

This is among the rarest of predictable astronomical events - on average, a spot on earth sees totality once every 360 years. Some places beat the odds; there is another total eclipse in 2024 that will cross the US again, stretching from Texas through northern New England.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby King_Erlian » Jul 04, 2016 3:52 am

Hmm, I'm very tempted! I could just about afford it... Only problem at the moment is, the online booking websites here in the UK won't let me browse beyond June 2017.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Jul 04, 2016 6:40 am

We're running into the exact same problem King_Erlian. The places that do let you book that far in advance are already full. I have several things going on this week and following weekend, but after that I'm going to devote my time to finding places that do book this far in advance. I did have some luck finding available locations on AirBNB but I've never used it before and I don't know how many people to book besides my own family.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby King_Erlian » Jul 04, 2016 7:33 am

I hadn't thought of using AirBnB, but that's an excellent idea. I've used AirBnB in the UK a couple of times, and it's been great.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Jul 19, 2016 3:19 pm

King_Erlian (and anyone else who might be following this thread), I wanted to let you know that we're having enough issues finding a place or places for all of us to stay in Kansas City that we're looking a little further out. Right now I'm checking into a place in Columbia Missouri. Just wanted to give you the update. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby King_Erlian » Jul 20, 2016 1:28 am

Thank you fantasia_kitty! I think for me, it all hinges on how expensive the accommodation is, as I'll be looking at around £700 ($850) for a round-trip air ticket.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Adeona » Jul 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Wow, this is really neat! It's a fun kind of crazy, too, that everyone is already booking tickets and what-not.

I wish I could be in the area, but God willing I will just have been in Missouri (about two hrs south of the event horizon or whatever the blue lines should be called :p ) the month before, and I can't really travel back again so soon! If that changes though I'll be sure to let you know. You all will have a great story! I hope all the scheduling works out. :)
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Re: Aug 21, 2017 - Eclipse in Missouri (hopefully), come join us

Postby fantasia » Jul 28, 2016 3:31 pm

To update, we have settled on a house in Columbia, MO through AirBnB (I've corrected the title in the thread). Our hostess said she's fine with having more than 20 people in the house sleeping on air mattresses and such, but we'll have to start sharing bathrooms. I don't think that's a problem per se, but I'm concerned as we're starting to creep towards 30 people. That's a lot of people in one house! :-o ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby King_Erlian » Jul 29, 2016 3:58 am

Fantasia_kitty, can you let us know the dates for which the house in Colombia has been booked, so those of us flying in can look at booking flights?
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Jul 29, 2016 10:11 am

Yes, for those needing the specific dates, let me know and I will send you a PM. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » Aug 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Actually, I see no reason why I can't share the dates on here. We have the house reserved for August 19, 2017 through August 22, 2017. Location, Columbia, MO. :D

Less than a year to go now everybody! :D I'm really happy to have that house reserved as the eclipse was trending on my Facebook page for close to 48 hours. ;)) Hotels should have opened up yesterday. I was tempted to call some of them to see if they were all full already. ;))
Oh, and Johobbit ordered a huge box of eclipse viewing glasses, so we're covered for viewing the eclipse, or at least our eyes are. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Aug 22, 2016 1:39 pm

:D

Wups, I meant to post in here re the eclipse glasses, thanks, fantasia. And ;)) about us being 'covered', haha.
johobbit

Postby Shawna » Sep 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Apparently the eclipse will also be happening in my city, so as much as a meetup sounds like fun, it'd be silly of me to travel across the country to see something I can see by walking out my front door. Maybe if I'd noticed this thread earlier we could have scheduled the meetup in my city.
author webpage: http://shawnacanon.com
Shawna
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby stargazer » Sep 14, 2016 6:35 pm

How awesome that you'll get to see totality in your city, Shawna. It'd be fun to meet up but it's hard to beat the convenience of watching from your backyard. While there's no shortage of online information about what to look for, I'd be more than happy to try to answer any questions if you wish.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby King_Erlian » Sep 28, 2016 4:09 am

Right - I'm definitely coming. Just booked my flights. I'll be flying to Chicago on Wednesday 16th August, spending three nights there, then on Saturday 19th August I'll take a "local" flight to Columbia, MO. I thought I'd combine the trip with a short break in Chicago as it's a city I've always wanted to visit. I'd like to stay in the "Moot House" from the 19th if that's OK. Then on Tuesday 22nd August I fly from Columbia back to Chicago and then back to Manchester (England). It's not going to be a cheap trip (just over £1000), but then a week in a bed-and-breakfast in England, plus train fare, would cost at least half that, and if the weather's poor (as it often is in England!) I wouldn't enjoy it. So, Eclipse Moot, the British are coming! (Well, the Brit - singular - is coming.)
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Next