This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 09, 2015 11:59 pm

@IlF: Sydney Swans started by taking over a South Melbourne club, their colours being red and white. Perhaps your brother felt that Swans ought to mean the Western Australian black swan?

Years ago, my cousin and I went on a wonderful excursion to Koala Park. On the way home she saw what she thought was a cemetery. But when I followed her gaze, it was a cricket game at a suburban oval. She never lived it down. Neither did cricket in my opinion.

gymfan wrote:I suspect it comes from the California Gold Rush in 1849, and Wikipedia confirms it:

Yes I suspected it might be something like that, though forty niner just happens to rhyme with miner, which could be any valuable mineral product. But thank you and aileth for the answers. I thought the California gold rush started significantly earlier though than the first confirmed Australian discovery of gold at Bathurst in 1851 or even earlier. It seems to have been gold for Jarryd Haynes though.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 10, 2015 5:48 am

@wagga he started following them back when he was young in Tassy. We had not even shifted to queensland yet. Maybe at the time they played better than dad's team (the hawks).

Haha a mixture of truth and nearsightedness?
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 12, 2015 1:51 pm

This has be the best time of year for sports, postseason baseball is less than a month away and college football is back, oh and there's the NASCAR Sprint Cup final race before the chase tonight. :) Yep, best time of the year. :D

The Cardinals have hit a rough stretch having lost 8 of 11 games this month, still hanging on to the best record in the MLB and the NL Central. If they can just start scoring some runs again, they will be fine.

Hopefully I will get to watch the Mizzou game online in few hours, didn't get to watch them last week. I love watching the Mizzou Tigers. B-) Should be an interesting year for the Tigers having two really good QBs; Maty Mauk and Drew Lock.

And lastly, my two favorite NASCAR drivers should both make the chase this year. :D Carl Edwards has won twice this year and I didn't get to watch either race, including last week. So I plan to watch tonight's race, well at least part of it depending on the Mizzou game.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 27, 2015 12:08 am

@ IlF: The West Coast Eagles are doing you proud. Next week the AFL Grand final will be featuring a Perth side against the Hawks of Hawthorn. Not quite West Coast Vs Dockers, but not too bad.

Back in the NRL, it will be Queensland Derby, and maybe IlF will be thrilled that she can choose between Brisbane Broncos and North Queensland Cowboys in next week's grand final.

Well, the shot is up but no, it isn't good. Not for Rugby League, Down Sydney way, at any rate. The Rabbitos ended in a stew, the Sharks are now too gummy to be a threat in the Grand Final, the Knights have been caned with a wooden spoon, and Wests have to remember that Balmain tigers don't cry. The Minor Premiers can't crow any more, having been turned into feather dusters. The Canberra Raiders got raided, whilst Melbourne Storm simply ran out of puff.

Meanwhile the Rugby Union World cup is being played at Twickenham in England. The Wallabies have won against Fiji, but Japan actually defeated the mighty Springboks. I thought they would be real competition against the All Blacks. Does USA have an entry in this competition? I didn't look.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 08, 2015 9:28 pm

IlF wrote:@wagga he started following them back when he was young in Tassy. We had not even shifted to queensland yet. Maybe at the time they played better than dad's team (the hawks).

Well as we all know by now, it was the Hawks (Hawthorne) who won again. And over in Sydney, at Homebush, where for some reason the two Queenslander teams competed for the NRL trophy, the Cowboys did manage to beat the Broncos. By a lousy single golden point right at the very end. We should be nice to horses.

And so it is only the World Rugby Cup at Twickenham which is left to entertain for now. This weekend should be quite good with Australia against Wales in Pool A, with Scotland, Argentina, Ireland and New Zealand among the other teams qualifying for the Quarter finals.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby starkat » Oct 09, 2015 6:33 am

College football in my hometown is always an interesting topic. There's the Aggies vs the Longhorns (a rivalry that's not as bad as it used to be due to them now being in two separate divisions) and the University of Houston Cougars. Saw on FB last night that they are red hot. Go Cougars!

NFL... eh. I'm not really a fan. I am however loyal to the local team no matter how badly they may be doing (and they are doing pretty poorly).

Baseball... Now that's a topic that's heating up. Go 'stros! I've been a fan of the Astros since I was little. No matter how well they do in the post season, I just hope they have fun and learn a lot. It's a fairly young team compared to the last time the 'stros were in the playoffs 10 years ago.
starkat

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 15, 2015 8:08 am

Baseball... Now that's a topic that's heating up.

I was always under the impression that baseball was a summer sport which finishes in the autumn, just as football of whatever code is a winter obsession. Baseball isn't one of the better known sports here though we hear results from time to time. It seems a bit like softball or rounders, which was the sport we were consigned to at school, when for one reason or another we couldn't go swimming. At home kids used to play cricket. Apart from tennis, the Sydney to Hobart yacht race, and the Melbourne Cup, the most popular competitive sport over Christmas would be cricket, which becomes International in the off-season. Much like Rugby, Soccer and Rugby League.

The World Rugby Cup quarter finals starts this weekend. One game is Australia V Scotland, which will definitely be interesting in this household. The other three games are New Zealand (All Blacks - the most fearsome team) versus France, Argentina (Pumas) against Ireland and Wales against South Africa (Springboks).
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Oct 15, 2015 8:51 am

You're right, wagga, baseball has always been a summer sport. But, the leagues have expanded to more teams, which leads to expanding the playoff schedules and extending the season. The World Series used to come at the end of October but now is in early November. (This has also happened in hockey and basketball, traditional winter sports that now have playoffs extending into June).

Congrats to the hometown WNBA team, the Minnesota Lynx, which won its third championship in 5 years last night.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Oct 15, 2015 9:05 am

starkat wrote:Baseball... Now that's a topic that's heating up. Go 'stros! I've been a fan of the Astros since I was little. No matter how well they do in the post season, I just hope they have fun and learn a lot. It's a fairly young team compared to the last time the 'stros were in the playoffs 10 years ago.

Sorry my [default] baseball team won last night Kat, but my baseball-loving Kansas friends are pretty excited. ;)) I really don't care terribly much one way or another, I just follow the news so I don't look like an idiot when I'm talking to a sports fan. ;))

But on the other hand, the Kansas City Royals were so AWFUL for so long, it's nice to see them winning again. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby starkat » Oct 15, 2015 11:18 am

Eh. I'm just happy the Astros got as far as they did. They are actually quite a young team with like 3 - 6 years experience a player in the major leagues. The last time the Astros were in the playoffs, I think the average was like over 10 years experience per major player. So it should be interesting to see what happens next year.

Good luck to the Royals!

Ditto on the comment about now seeing an awful team playing so well. The nickname the Astros got tagged with for several years was the "Lastros" so yeah... I know that one. ;)
starkat

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 15, 2015 3:51 pm

Starkat wrote:Good luck to the Royals!

Crikey! Which "royals" do you mean? /:) So far in the Rugby World Cup Australia's Wallabies have done extremely well, and though I have cheered for Wales (Prince William) against England (Prince Harry), I am not cheering for any other team that faces the Wallabies. That also includes the Scottish team (Princess Royal). I'll leave that to hubby. :ymdevil: Oh sorry, you meant Kansas, not UK or Oz. :D Odd that in Kansas of all places there, you would be barracking for the "Royals".

When you refer to a world cup in baseball, do you have overseas teams competing as well?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Oct 16, 2015 11:34 am

While baseball is very popular in Japan, Cuba, Dominican Republic and other places, at this time the only non-US team in MLB (eligible for the World Series) is the Toronto Blue Jays (which, incidentally, face those Kansas City Royals in the next round of the playoffs).

Wikipedia says the KC Royals take their name from the American Royal, a livestock show, horse show, rodeo, and championship barbecue competition held annually in Kansas City since 1899.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 18, 2015 2:47 pm

stargazer wrote:Toronto Blue Jays (which, incidentally, face those Kansas City Royals in the next round of the playoffs).

Now that should be an interesting and fitting baseball game! Toronto would be a Canadian city, and of course Canada, like Australia and New Zealand, is a democratic nation under the Westminster system, where the Prime Minister is Canada's equivalent of Germany's Chancellor, Angela Merkel. But like Germany's head of state, President Joachim Gauke, Canada's non-political head of state is the Governor-General, acting in place of the Queen, on behalf of Canada and its elected government. There is to be an election there tomorrow which will decide whether or not Stephen Harper, leading his political party, will remain as Canada's Prime Minister. Should I cheer for Toronto's Blue Jays? :D Or the Kansas Royals? :ymdevil:

What an interesting competition this World Rugby Cup has been! England, which hosted it, was pushed into third place in Pool A, having been beaten by both Wales and Australia. But Australia topped Pool A in the deciding match, then Wales was defeated by South Africa in the Quarter Finals. Australia scraped into the Semi-finals by beating Scotland by a whiskery one point, after a thrilling game in which Scotland was in the lead until the dying moments of the game. In the other quarter finals, Argentina beat Ireland, whilst New Zealand absolutely slaughtered France.

For the first time in ages, all the four countries which make up both UK and the Republic of Ireland, have been eliminated, plus Japan, France, Romania, Italy, USA and Canada. All the semi final teams will be from the Southern Hemisphere. Australia will be facing Argentina, whilst New Zealand and South Africa will compete to enter the finals. The losers of both games will be competing against each other for third place. I doubt that South Africa, having had a surprise loss to Japan, in Pool B, would be strong enough to beat New Zealand's famous All Blacks.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 02, 2015 6:42 pm

I meant to post here so many times in the last month, but never got around to it. However now that the World Series is over I have to because the ROYALS are WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS! ;) B-)

My brother and I were talking after the game last night about how spoiled the younger siblings are - in the last five years our teams (Cardinals and Royals) have been in the World Series four times and win it twice. :) Totally awesome, but it won't last forever. Definitely going to enjoy it while it lasts. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 11, 2016 11:25 am

It's that wonderful time of year when baseball has returned! :)

The KC Royals are 4-1 and the STL Cardinals are 3-3, after starting 0-3. I'm hoping I get to watch the Cardinals home opener today, I only saw part of the opening day game. Really want to see the team in action, highlights just aren't same. I never realized how spoiled I was when I lived in an area that had FSMW and I could watch the Cardinals every single game of the season until we moved.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jun 20, 2016 5:49 am

I want too say Congratulations to the Cleveland Cavaliers on end cleveland's 52-year championship drought.

I'm not much of a basketball fan (I prefer baseball) but having lived in northeast Ohio my hole life I know much it means to people here for a team to finally end the sport's "Curse".
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext