This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

1979 Animated LWW Film

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

1979 Animated LWW Film

Postby narnia fan 7 » Mar 02, 2016 8:20 pm

I couldn't find a topic for this so I'll start one.

Back in December I watched the 1979 Animated LWW Film for the first time. I had vary low expectations going in and thought it was okay for the most part, the voice acting was not vary good and the animation is decent at best.

But I still found it to be entertaining mostly because of the unintentionally funny moments such as the scene when the wolves are chasing the children and bevers and the used the same four clips of animation over and over, and when Aslan defets the White Witch and she disappears in a puff of dust. I don't know why I found those bits to be so funny but I did.

I did think the way the film opened with Lucy coming back out of the wardrobe and showing her first entering Narnia through flashbacks was a interesting idea.

So what are other people's thoughts on the film?
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: 1979 Animated LWW Film

Postby Glumpuddle » Mar 03, 2016 9:32 pm

I actually overall like this version. The animation is crude and the cast is hit and miss... but I still find myself enjoying the overall flow. The fast pacing somehow seems to work pretty well for the most part. I feel the wonder and excitement of visiting another world, and get caught up in the future of Narnia as a country moseso than in Walden's version.

Opening the movie with Lucy jumping out of the wardrobe was a fascinating decision.

So yeah, pretty good overall. Someday I'll do a proper review.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby the4signs[repeat] » Mar 03, 2016 9:53 pm

I agree with the statements made so far about this version. Beginning with Lucy coming out of the wardrobe really helps us identify with the other children’s point of view regarding the whole business. It seems natural that they would not know what to make of Lucy’s behavior and would discuss it with the professor.
But I still found it too be entertaining mostly because of the unintentionally funny moments

I couldn’t agree more. I was an adult when I saw this cartoon for the first time, but the scene where the White Witch hands her wand to the dwarf made me laugh till I cried. =)) What a comical look he had on his face!
Grammatical garden or the Arbour of Accidence pleasantly open'd to Tender Wits by Puverulentus Siccus
the4signs[repeat]
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: On the balcony of my air castle... dusting the railing.

Postby King_Erlian » Mar 04, 2016 3:17 am

I rather like the 1979 cartoon. It doesn't have the polish of a Disney production but I think it's quite charming. The style of animation reminds me of the Beatles' "Yellow Submarine" film.

One little gripe I have is that, when I first saw it on British TV, it had all British voices, including a wonderful Mr. Beaver voiced by Arthur Lowe (best known as Captain Mainwaring in the British TV sitcom "Dad's Army" in the '60s and '70s). On subsequent repeats it's had all American voices except for Aslan. I believe it was originally recorded with American voices and they dubbed the British ones for UK digestion.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Mar 04, 2016 9:30 am

My favorite part of the cartoon was that they had an extended 'hunting the stag' scene. Most of the other adaptations make the end seem more like they're out for a ride, but I've always felt there was something significant about the fact that they were hunting a stag that granted wishes.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 04, 2016 1:26 pm

King_Erlian wrote: On subsequent repeats it's had all American voices except for Aslan. I believe it was originally recorded with American voices and they dubbed the British ones for UK digestion.

I do note that Aslan, in this version of LWW, was voiced by Stephen Thorne, who as a British radio star, also voiced the BBC audio dramas of all seven books. It was William Todd-Jones who voiced Aslan for the BBC television series, and, of course, Liam Neeson who was the voice of Aslan for the Walden versions.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Narnian88 » Apr 26, 2016 4:18 pm

I was a wee lad when I first saw this cartoon, I think on PBS. I thought it was great! A few years ago I bought the DVD and watch it once in a while. It still has that magic.
I don't like it more than any of the other incarnations of the story. I like it just the same, because it's different.
Sure it completely changes how they received their gifts, but it's the only version that includes Aslan and the girls playing at the stone table after he comes back to life. And I like the way Aslan kills the White Witch and she (as Narnia fan 7 mentioned) disappears in a puff of smoke, as opposed to the BBC and Walden scenes.

I wish they had made more. :(
"I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." - VDT
Narnian88
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby milmolsilsol » Nov 27, 2016 5:31 pm

I have a very deep attachment for this film. I have watched it over and over and over through my life time and have since introduced my children to it. It is still a favorite and I cry every time.
Until you find something worth dying for you're not really living.
Don't wish for a better day. Be glad and use the one you're in.
Pain has been the catalyst to my heart's happiness.
milmolsilsol
NarniaWeb Fanatic