This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Has your favorite book changed over time? (NEW POLL)

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Has your favorite book changed over time? (NEW POLL)

Postby Glumpuddle » Sep 11, 2015 9:57 am

I just started another Favorite-Book poll on the homepage (bottom-right corner). I like doing one every year or so to see how the results change. So far, SC is getting more votes than usual.

Has your favorite book changed over time? After my first reading, my favorite was SC. I switched to VDT after my second reading, and it has stayed there ever since. Though HHB has come close a few times.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Re: Has your favorite book changed over time? (NEW POLL)

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Mine has always been The Magician's Nephew, and the older I get, the more and more "real" the themes become to me, and the more I like it. I guess that the same can be said of all of the books. . . but MN will always have that special place in my heart.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby King_Erlian » Sep 14, 2015 6:50 am

When I first read the Narnia books when I was 6, The Magician's Nephew was my favourite as it was the most "science-fictiony". Now I'm greying and middle-aged, The Horse And His Boy has overtaken it.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Varnafinde » Sep 15, 2015 6:54 am

I loved LWW for more than ten years before I knew for sure that there were more Narnia books. They hadn't been translated into Norwegian yet.

When I was 21, I went to England for the first time, and bought the whole series there. I've read all the books several times since then - I don't know how many times, I've lost count, and I've read some books more often than the others.

SC has become my new favorite, largely due to Puddleglum the Marshwiggle, my favorite Narnian character. But LWW is its closest competitor.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby johobbit » Sep 17, 2015 11:17 am

I so enjoy reading these comments!

I have always loved The Silver Chair, especially, mostly because of Puddleglum, too, Varna. He is my favourite Narnian character. What a marvelous, brilliant (sub)creation of Lewis'! Now I wish I had known CSL's gardener, Fred Paxford, after whom that beloved Marsh-wiggle was based. ;))

When I first was introduced to the Chronicles as a preschooler, and then when I read them myself, I recall The Horse and His Boy being my least favourite ... although I hasten to add that I still liked it very much. But I had fallen so much in love with the land of Narnia from the other tales that I missed being back there in that story! However, as an adult, THaHB has risen substantially. In fact, it may even tie with TSC as top favourite. The beautiful elements of God's providence are so interwoven through the entirety of the tale: as an adult I have been through enough that this impacts me far more than it would a child, who has experienced, overall, very few of life's curves.

But, really, I treasure each of the seven books to such an extent that my favourite line (and I think I originally read this of Doug Gresham) is that "my favourite Chronicle is whichever one I am reading at the time". Truly. Each one holds a very special place in my heart. :)
johobbit

Postby wild rose » Oct 30, 2015 2:52 am

My favourite book has always been The Horse and His Boy, from the first time I read it I fell in love with the story, I enjoyed visiting the other lands of Narnia, I loved the relationship between Shasta and Bree, Shasta and Aravis, and Shasta and Corin. Aslan was also somehow so real to me when reading that book. As time has passed I find that my love for the book has grown even more, it's still my very favourite of all seven books, I love the issues addressed in the story, I love th adventures....basically I love everything :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby narnia fan 7 » Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am

I think Voyage of the Dawn Trader has pretty much always been my favorite book. All though The Horse and His Boy is a close second, VDT is in my opinion a masterpiece and every time I read it I love it more.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 03, 2016 8:57 pm

It has once :P When I first read the series I could not get into HHB, cuz it was the first time I experienced a multi-character focused series and it was distracting for me not to see the Pevensies as I had expected, but after rereading it... it jumped from last to first now that I can just sit back and enjoy the action instead of waiting for focus that doesn't exist on characters that the book's not about :P (previously it was either VDT or LWW) Since then, it's remained my favorite, although the midrange of my ranking changes order frequently :P PC has been last since then as well.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby fledge1 » Jul 12, 2017 6:21 am

From my childhood on through high school LWW was my favorite. When I hit college and kept re-reading I found that I was so emotionally drawn to Horse and His Boy. Ever sense that has been my favorite. I enjoy many parts of each book, but the anticipation of reading that one is way higher. I read them in original order almost every year and waiting for that one is like Christmas. LWW would be a close second because of what it meant to me as a child.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glumpuddle » Jul 13, 2017 9:15 am

It's that time again. I've started another poll on the homepage asking which book is your favorite.

Currently, The Horse and His Boy is easily winning the top spot but the race for 2nd place is very tight.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Lady Haleth » Aug 08, 2017 4:25 pm

When I was younger, VDT was my favorite. Then when I got older, SC became my new favorite because it made me feel better when I was depressed.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Aug 09, 2017 4:58 pm

In what manner, Lady Haleth? I find Magician's Nephew to be much more comforting. (P.S. It's GREAT to see you back ;)) )
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby AJAiken » Aug 10, 2017 2:29 am

It's interesting no one's mentioned The Last Battle so far. That used to be my favourite. I think it is the hope in the face of death and destruction that I love so much about that book. However my favourite now is The Horse and His Boy because I love so much about it - the characters, locations, the journey both literally and emotionally. As to why that's changed, I can't really say ...

However, I like all of them. :D
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fledge1 » Aug 10, 2017 7:18 am

AJAiken wrote:However my favourite now is The Horse and His Boy because I love so much about it - the characters, locations, the journey both literally and emotionally. As to why that's changed, I can't really say ...

However, I like all of them. :D

I am the same way AJAiken. I like them all but The Horse and His Boy has become my favorite, for some of the same reasons. I have been really focusing lately on our story. Meaning, the story of me. Everyone has a story, be exciting or boring, we all have a story, and ALL stories have meaning. I think I love Horse and his Boy because of Shasta finally getting to live his story. Just a great book. I always get depressed when i read The Last Battle. Dont get me wrong it is amazing, but I hold on to memories and love thinking about what was, when houses get tore down, or major changes it makes me think about endings. Last Battle Narnia gets destroyed. I mean yes there is a newer and better Narnia, but the nostalgia in me gets bummed. Until I start reading them again. HA!
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AJAiken » Aug 21, 2017 2:11 am

Hmm, it's funny, I've always found The Silver Chair to be somewhat depressing, but never The Last Battle. It is a sad book, I guess, in that sad things happen; it is painful to see Narnia destroyed, much as it's awful to see things change in life. However it's not the end. There's something better. I love the part in LB when Jewel says "I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now. The reason why we loved the old Narnia is that it sometimes looked a little like this."
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Postby glimfeather46 » Mar 30, 2018 10:43 am

When I first read the books as an elementary schooler, Prince Caspian was definitely my favorite in the series. But now that I'm older, I really love the Last Battle. I think it's so applicable to the current state of thought in our world, and I love the way that Tirian is portrayed. He might be my favorite Narnian character, alongside Hwin from HHB. And as AJAiken said, the Last Battle isn't really depressing at all. It's sad to see Narnia gone, but it was necessary for that to happen so that a better Narnia could exist.
glimfeather46
NarniaWeb Newbie