This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

Postby wild rose » Feb 28, 2015 6:01 am

I've been meaning to post here for so long.

So I started taking classes and they are a lot of fun, though my teacher is SUPER strict and meticulous, which is actually a good thing :) During autumn and the beginning of winter we learned about reading patterns and sewing skirts and now we have moved on to blouses and dresses. Thanks to these classes I have happily remembered how good I was at geometry in school and how terrible I was at algebra ;)) Anyway, like usual, I'm pretty slow and picking things up, but once I understand them, I understand them for good :)

Here are two of the baby blankets I made. This one is the one I made for my goddaughter, I found this cute pattern on youtube and used it to make a blanket:
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l50 ... lanket.jpg

And this is the one I made for her little cousin, it was my first attempt at patchwork :)
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l50 ... anket2.jpg

Fk, no, those crazy looms are for belt weaving ;)) Here's one of my recent belts
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l50 ... C_0271.jpg
The quality of the picture is terrible, the blue of the belt is actually very rich in color. I made this for a friend and was really sorry that I had to give it away ;))

I'm working on another belt right now, but it's a complicated design and I sort of lost the insperation for it. I promised my teacher it would be ready by next Wednesday, so I suppose I shall have to buckle down and do it ;))
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby ValiantArcher » Feb 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Those blankets are lovely, wild rose! :D And the belt looks very nice too. :)

So, it's been ages since I was last here :ymblushing: and since then I have finished several knitting projects: I did end up doing a dishtowel (basket weave, and I was pretty happy with how it turned out), a scarf for Summer's Christmas present (...which was presented still on the needles because I wasn't sure how long she wanted it, but I did get it finished shortly after ;)) ), and a beret (...which turned out way too big :( ). I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to redeem the beret, but short of pinning it to my hair, I'm wondering if I could knit an i-cord and thread it through the ribbing (which is useless, pah!) or if that'd be completely ridiculous. ;)) I may just knit the i-cord and see: it'd be a good experience (I've never knit one before) and I probably have just enough yarn for it. :P ;))
Otherwise, I'm trying to come up with a new project based on the yarn I have. But the beret was pretty discouraging, so... :P I should try searching Ravelry for yarn type & length I suppose.

Oh! Also, stwin, ages ago you'd asked for pictures of the yarn I got for a someday sweater. :ymblushing: But here and here is what 1700 yards of wool looks like.
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby ValiantArcher » Jul 11, 2015 8:13 pm

...so, anyone working on any projects right now? ;))

I had four flights over the past few days and meant to do some knitting, and learn how to do yarn-overs and slip them off again, but ended up not taking the yarn and needles out until the last flight, which was less than an hour long. :P But, I still managed it. ;)) I didn't have the right size needles for the yarn so it's quite loose, but I'm working a seafoam pattern in neon blue yarn. I'm not sure if it's too loose for me to like it, but I think for now I'll just keep working the pattern and see if it looks like it could turn out to be a reasonable scarf. :)

By the by, if anyone's curious, I did knit the i-cord and looped it through the beret. It's still quite floppy, though. :P I think Twig's suggested I stick it through the dryer; I may give that a shot.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 14, 2015 7:25 am

That sounds like something i would do. I take a book to read on a flight/long train/bus ride, but don't start it until the last 30 minuets.

I am planning on doing some chain stitch again. My sister is obsessed with woodland creatures, so I am going to make a fox pillow. I like doing this sort of stuff when sewing because I am far better at it than sewing clothes.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 16, 2015 12:39 pm

A fox pillow sounds quite neat. :) How long, on average, do you think it would take to make one?

I'm a semi-new knitter, but still very much a beginner. I was introduced to knitting a few years ago when a friend taught me. Unfortunately, I didn't have any knitting needles, so after I left the house, my project soon unraveled. A few false starts later, I now know how to do basic knitting, but I have yet to finish anything yet. I have a scarf that is slowly, but gradually coming along.

I have a lot of things I'd like to knit (or sew), but unfortunately, my skills are nowhere up to that level, in either medium. I can't follow patterns, so that doesn't help either. I was actually planning to buy some fabric this week, since it was on sale, but then I realized I had absolutely no idea what to do with it. :ymblushing: As it is, I already have about two yards of fabric I had been planning to make a cloak with, but haven't had the courage to start with.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 17, 2015 11:30 pm

It depends when i start it i guess. Once I start it, i usually will finish it but I am yet to start it. Chain stitching the fox is the hardest and longest part, putting the pillow together will not be hard at all.

I don't know how to knit at all, so you are doing better than me @snow.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby wild rose » Jul 18, 2015 11:52 am

Valia, lol. I always plan these great craft ideas for when I am traveling and then never follow through with them

IlF, ooh, a fox pillow, sounds neat.

Summer, good luck with the scarf. I know how it feels to want to do something but not know how to do it. Cloaks are pretty easy, I hope you'll find the courage to make it. What kind of a cloak do you want to make?

I made another baby blanket, this time for my sister's friend who just recently had a baby girl, only I forgot to take a picture of it ;))

I finished a year of sewing classes, and I hope to take another course next year if funds will allow. I've made a couple of skirts and was even able to master the blouse, but I haven't had time to take any pictures of my works yet, I've been busy working on a large sewing order to make historical costumes for a friend and his family. It's a lot of work but thankfully I'm almost done :D

My plans now are to make a summer dress for my sister (before summer is up, lol) and crochet an amigurumi farm for my nephew's 3rd birthday :). And I want to crochet some baby ballet slippers for my sist'er friend's baby (the mother is a dancer, so I thought it would be a fun sort of gift).

Recently a friend gave me a whole bag of yarn \:D/ which is amazingly awesome because now I can make stuff without having to spend money on materials, lol. Anyway, I hope to get pictures of my works up soon, as soon as I get back from my summer travels :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 22, 2015 11:30 am

Hello, lovelies! I was wondering if any of you happen to have done freehand patterning, and if you have, if you have any tips/tricks/advice/etc. I have a friend who is an unusual size, but doesn't really have the tools to pattern on a computer, so this is a new turn for me. I've a bit of experience with pattern modification, and I know how to create patterns on my computer, but she would largely be working by hand, and she's further frustrating me by wanting to start working on her project now, but wants to lose weight before she finishes it, so she won't let me make a form to work off of. So I thought I would pop in here and see if any of you had any insight for me. :)
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 22, 2015 12:07 pm

Wrose, I am not sure, honestly. I had found a pattern online, but I don't remember what it was. I think it would just be a very simple cloak, as the fabric is broadcloth, and I don't have enough for anything too elaborate. I should probably try to look for another pattern and hopefully, I'll have enough fabric and skill to make it work. I have heard cloaks were easy to make, so hopefully I won't have any major problems.

When you get a chance to take and upload some pictures, I'd love to see your work. It's quite exciting you were able to master making a blouse! And making historical costumes sounds quite neat. What time period are they from?

I can't offer any suggestions, Lady Arwen, but I wish you the best in figuring it out. :)
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 23, 2015 8:25 am

What sort of a project is your friend doing, Wren? How much time is she willing to put into it?

Possibly the easiest thing to do would be to look into taking a pattern from an existing piece of clothing that fits--or fit in the past and ought to fit again when she's lost weight.

There's a method where you lay the garment out flat on butcher paper or whatever and use pins to mark the seams for each piece. Then you can draw over it with a marker and see what you've got, smooth out the lines and whatnot and then you'll have a basic pattern to work with. (I know there are tutorials for this if pictures would be helpful.)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 23, 2015 4:11 pm

She's actually doing a costume, Mel. Her goal is to finish it by hallowe'en, since she doesn't usually go to fairs or cons. She's making part of it out of warbla, so she's willing to put in about...three months of work? ;)) I'm a little concerned, because she's chosen quite the ambitious project for her first full costume, has basically none of the tools I have, and is expecting me to guide her through it. Unfortunately, the sewing part looks to be the easy part--it's almost all straight lines, and no sleeves.

The butcher paper technique is a good idea, at least for getting the pattern started. If you have any you could shoot over to me, I would be quite appreciative. :)
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 25, 2015 6:35 pm

Here's a single picture of the process, a slightly more in depth blog entry, a variant on the technique, and another possibility. :) Hope that gives the two of you something to work with!
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby IloveFauns » Jul 27, 2015 8:23 am

Oh that looks good, I have always wanted to use some of my favourite dress designs but with cool fabric i find but I am not great at clothes. Though it is good to go op shopping and re-purposing some old garments. Usually that consists of making old jeans into shorts.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 31, 2015 6:21 pm

You should try taking a pattern from a favorite dress, ILF, and let me how it works. :)

Speaking of re-purposing old garments... my little brother is spending time at a fur trade encampment living history thing this weekend and I was inspired to take an item from my costume closet that had developed holes and cut it down to a shirt for him. (Now he wants a rapier to accessorize. ;)) )

Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby ValiantArcher » Nov 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Nice, Mel! :D

Okay, I need some help: How do you keep your knitting on double-pointed needles? I've knitted several items in the round before and haven't had trouble on my size 6 needles, but I can't get things to stay on my size 8 ones. They're metal, but surely there's some method of keeping the knitting from sliding right off the ends. I'm pretty sure I'm losing stitches and/or messing up the tightness of the knitting and it's getting very frustrating. Please advise. :ymblushing:
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby shastastwin » Nov 16, 2015 7:18 am

Hmm... I have a project on metal dpns at the moment (one that's likely to never be finished at this point ;)) ) and I think I've just been keeping one end of the needles stuck in the skein while I'm not working and gathering the work toward that end to keep the stitches on. Metal needles are the slipperiest, I think, so that's a bit of a concern. I don't think my wood needles have had that sort of trouble. (I know my one ill-advisedly purchased acrylic set doesn't slip, even when I want it to. :P)

I hope that helps. You might also look for point protectors for your needles. It might make knitting a bit slower, but it should keep you from losing stitches along the way.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

PreviousNext