This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Movies Thread!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

The Movies Thread!

Postby shastastwin » Jun 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Welcome to the Movies thread! Here you can discuss all your favorite films -- past, present, and future! Is there a movie you love to revisit over and over again (perhaps quoting along with your friends)? Have you seen a movie recently that you'd like to recommend to others? Did you hear the latest exciting news about a movie coming out in the near (or far) future? This is the place to share all of that and more.

I'll answer a few of my (mostly rhetorical) questions to get us going.

The Princess Bride is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I can quote at least 80% of it without prompting. (This has led to my wife not being willing to watch it with me, as she says she doesn't need to see it if I can quote so much of it. ;)) )

The only theatrical film I've seen lately is The Avengers: Age of Ultron. I recommend it, primarily for fans of superheroes and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it had some great themes and moments that I thought were larger than genre.

Inside Out, Disney/Pixar's latest film, seems to be garnering all manner of rave reviews from professionals and audiences alike. I hope I get to see it before it leaves theaters.

For future movies, I'm looking forward to the latest installments of the MCU. Incidentally, the casting of the latest Spider-Man was just announced. Other than that, I'm not sure what all is coming out that I'll want to see. Maybe I can get some good recommendations here. ;)

A few notes from the moderator team:
* Make sure all images you post are family-friendly
* Any links/videos for trailers should include the movie rating
* Please note if there is any content that is not appropriate on any page you link to
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Re: The Movies Thread!

Postby starkat » Jun 23, 2015 1:17 pm

This year is the 20th anniversary of the Apollo 13 movie. It's one of my all time favorite movies. The sound track is magnificent. They made a serious effort to be as historically accurate as possible. Gene Kranz, Gerry Griffen, John Bostick and John Aaron all gave it their stamp of approval and were involved in the making.

NASA offered them the original Mission control to film in, but they turned NASA down because of the shape of the room meant they would have had to pull up consoles to fit the cameras in. They instead went and created their own that was so detailed that the mission controllers who worked there made the comment that "My house was just out that way" when he meant Houston and they were in California.
starkat

Postby fantasia » Jun 23, 2015 1:24 pm

I love that movie. It's soooo good.
Speaking of Apollo 13, James Horner was killed in an airplane crash last night. :(( So sad. He was my favorite composer.

Has anybody seen Inside Out? And if so, what did you think? I wanted to see it until I heard it was a little more on the sad side, and I'm in warm fuzzy happy movie mode right now. :P I still want to see it, just maybe not in theaters. (It's so hard to get to the theaters with little ones. :P )
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Jun 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Inside Out looks interesting. If I see it in the theater it'll be in a matinee. I'll post here should that happen.

Tonight's news broadcasts talked about James Horner's plane crash. A lot of people may not recognize his name but they've almost certainly heard his music. It's amazing the number, variety and quality of movies he's worked on.

Apollo 13 is also one of my favorites. I may watch it soon in honor of its anniversary (now I feel old. ;)) I remember how exciting it was to see in the theater 20 years ago, and that in many ways it was like watching a documentary on the big screen - though going far beyond the boring reputation documentaries often have).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Arwenel » Jun 25, 2015 12:40 am

Just saw Inside Out tonight. I don't think it'll be my favorite Pixar film ever, but it was pretty darn good. It had its sad moments, but it was also very funny.

Most of the trailers for future movies i found uninspiring, but Zootopia looks like it might be cute.

I need to re-watch Apollo 13. I bought on DVD or Blu-ray not too long ago, but it's been years since i've seen it the whole way through.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby aragorn2 » Jun 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Pixar has made yet another masterpiece with Inside Out!
Pete Docter's latest takes us on a bright and colorful journey into the mind and emotions of an 11 year old girl. It's a film that perfectly marries the manic comedic genius of Monster's Inc with the wonderful emotional depth and honesty of Up. Creating a film that is full to the brim with hilarious slapstick and yet is able at the drop of a hat to turn and deliver some of the most beautifully moving and insightful moments the studio has ever made. And that's not even getting into the sheer brilliance of the films portrayal of the inner workings of the mind.
A hilarious, insightful and deeply moving work of true genius.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jun 27, 2015 7:30 pm

I got together with friends tonight to indulge a bit of guilty pleasure: the big-screen disaster movie. Like most of these, San Andreas is rather formulaic and predictable (you know who is going to live or die by the end, lots of things crash/burn/fall apart, narrow escapes, etc) - but we still enjoyed it.

Disaster special effects have come a long way even since 2012.

A familiar face to NarniaWebbers is Ioan Gruffudd (Amazing Grace; TV's Forever). Also starring are Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Carla Gugino (Night at the Museum).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby flambeau » Jul 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Yesterday my family and I did a rewatch of the 2008 Sense and Sensibility miniseries, and I was reminded of how much I enjoy and love it. It's easily one of my favorite Austen adaptations.

The most recent movies that I've seen in the theater would be Age of Ultron and Mad Max: Fury Road. I was underwhelmed with AOU (it did not live up to the hype in my opinion, which was disappointing) (this is coming from a die-hard Marvel fan too), but I was absolutely delighted by Mad Max. I never thought post-apocalyptic car chase films would be a thing I was interested in, but this one hit the mark across the board. Has anyone else seen it? (I did a quick check through this page and the last page of the old thread and haven't see anyone talking about it)

Upcoming films that I'm interested in seeing are Captain America: Civil War, maybe Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, and possibly The Martian. The fifth Bourne movie is on this list as well, even though there still has been no real information released about it yet and it doesn't start filming until this fall.

--- flambeau
"It. Doesn't. Have. To. Match."

President of the Manalive Conspiracy
Founder of Team Hoodie
Icon by me
flambeau
Moderator Emeritus
A Concerned Third Party

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jul 29, 2015 10:10 am

^^ Good to see you, flam!

I was happy to see another MI film. I enjoyed the last, largely due to Brad Bird and Jeremy Renner. I might not see this one in theaters, but it depends.

I saw The Inside Out a day or so after it came out. Watching it again will make me more decided on it, but right now it is not my favorite Pixar film, but it is excellent. I think it's one of Pixar's strongest films since the climb up from falling with Cars 2. It was an original idea, and it adhered to the characteristics of what we have come to love of Pixar's storytelling. Pete Docter is a master at that. Great film! I can't, can't, can't wait for The Good Dinosaur! :D
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby parableproductions » Aug 07, 2015 9:22 pm

shastastwin wrote:

The Princess Bride is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I can quote at least 80% of it without prompting. (This has led to my wife not being willing to watch it with me, as she says she doesn't need to see it if I can quote so much of it.

I love The Princess Bride too! And I quote it often. I quote a lot of movies - but that is probably the one I quote the most. In second place would be Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I told a coworker the it was his job to make me laugh on that particular day (my mom was dying and I didn't want to be crying when I was dealing with customers) - so he came by quite often that day and quoted large portions of dialogue from both those movies to me. And I was able to greet my customers with a smile on my face.

My list of favorite movies would be extremely long. Pretty much any Cary Grant or Jimmy Stewart film. I love old films like The Thin Man series and musicals like Brigadoon and The Music Man.

So, what have I seen recently that I liked - well, I've enjoyed The Hunger Games movies so far and Divergent (haven't seen Insurgent yet). I missed the latest Avengers movie - but hope to see it soon.
Further up and further in!!
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby 220chrisTian » Aug 12, 2015 11:58 am

I saw The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934) with Leslie Howard and Merle Oberon last Saturday, and I was impressed with the acting, script, and sets. I still think the 1981 version is better, but Anthony Andrew clearly based his performance on that of Howard – the original Pimpernel! :)

Parable: I liked "Princess Bride" as a child, but I outgrew it. :P I love Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart movies too, plus "The Thin Man" series and Brigadoon (see my review below). I'm a classic movie buff. :D

https://artsandculturereviews.wordpress ... to-change/
220chrisTian

Postby starkat » Aug 12, 2015 12:00 pm

Is that the same version of The Scarlet Pimpernel with Nigel Bruce as the Prince of Wales? I got to see it once. I loved it.
starkat

Postby 220chrisTian » Aug 12, 2015 12:02 pm

220chrisTian

Postby SnowAngel » Aug 12, 2015 11:10 pm

Oh, I love The Scarlet Pimpernel! I recorded it off TCM a couple months and it's staying on the DVR until I get my hands on a DVD of it. :)

I was placing a Walmart for the other family members recently and I stumbled across a set of Hitchcock movies on Blu-ray for a pretty good price, so much for my not spending any money. ;) It's Rebecca/Notorious/Spellbound, I have seen Rebecca a couple of times and the other two once each. Looking forward to watching them again.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby fantasia » Sep 02, 2015 2:33 pm

I hear that Kenneth Branaugh is directing Artemis Fowl. :)) I'm pretty happy to hear that news. Artemis Fowl is such a guilty pleasure read. I ought to go reread it again.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 02, 2015 7:25 pm

Oh, really, fk? Wow. ;)) Hopefully that means it'll be a fun romp. Have you heard anything as far as an expected release date (year even)?
And it's a guilty pleasure read for me too, at least the first half of the series. ;)) I remember liking book 7 too, but not the last one (6 was only so-so, I think).
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Next