This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Name the LotGK

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Name the LotGK

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jun 20, 2015 11:04 am

Well according too the sweepstakes page they what to add a name because
Being known only as The Lady of the Green Kirtle doesn’t make for easy dialog.
So i guess that's all we have too go on.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 23, 2015 2:09 pm

Good point, narnia fan 7! I had forgotten that they'd included that reason for needing a name. It's been so many months. ;))

Still—and maybe it's just because I don't know much about scriptwriting—I find it a little strange that the dialogue would require a name, based on the scenes where the LotGK appears in the book. Rilian always calls her "my lady" or "my queen," if I remember correctly, and Puddleglum and the kids just said "madam" and "you" in reference to her during her last scene.

That being said, if the questing trio ended up talking about the LotGK after meeting her (perhaps when arguing about whether or not to follow her advice and seek out hot baths at Harfang), I can imagine how the dialogue could feel clunky if she's referred to as "the lady in green" or something. That might be why they felt the need to give her a name, even if we're only going on the scenes where she appears or is discussed in the book.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 23, 2015 4:52 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Still—and maybe it's just because I don't know much about scriptwriting—I find it a little strange that the dialogue would require a name, based on the scenes where the LotGK appears in the book. Rilian always calls her "my lady" or "my queen," if I remember correctly, and Puddleglum and the kids just said "madam" and "you" in reference to her during her last scene.

I know what you mean. They wouldn't need to address her by name - the BBC did just fine without a name for her. Was "Jadis" really used that much in dialogue in LWW? She was more often called "the witch," "the White Witch," "your highness," etc. I think it is normal in fair tales for characters not to be named. Lewis choose not to give her a name and we should wonder why. Was so she would be more mysterious? Was it to be a sort of a warning that someone who was supposedly being open chose not to give a name but only a title? I guess none of that really matters since they decided to give her a name. I wonder when we will hear what it is or if anyone won the contest.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 26, 2015 2:16 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:Was "Jadis" really used that much in dialogue in LWW? She was more often called "the witch," "the White Witch," "your highness," etc.

If I recall correctly, the White Witch was only ever referred to as Jadis twice in LWW: when Peter reads the notice left by Maugrim at Tumnus's cave and when the Dwarf is announcing her arrival at Aslan's Camp. This is largely why I've been so puzzled by the idea that the script needed a name for the LotGK.

I realize that the alliterative "White Witch" is much more snappy to say than "the Lady of the Green Kirtle" and that it could sound awkward and a little stilted when spoken by schoolchildren, but why not just call her the Green Lady half of the time? Maybe they think that a mysterious, color-related name makes her seem too much like the White Witch, and they're hoping to stave off the audience's suspicion for a while by giving her an actual name. Or maybe they think that if the LotGK appears to be more open with the questing trio and tells them her personal name, the audience will be more sympathetic toward Jill and Eustace when they decide to trust her and go to Harfang on her recommendation. Who knows for sure?

EDIT: About two and a half weeks from now, a whole year will have passed since the sweepstakes were announced. Maybe they'll release the results around that time? *crosses fingers and hopes*
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby CorazonBandido55 » Jan 30, 2016 12:12 am

It's 2016 and still no word on the Lady's name. It would concern me more if there was no Narnia news, but since there has been, then I'm ok with waiting longer.
your fellow Telmarine
CorazonBandido55
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Dec 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Just saw this tweet from scriptwriter David Magee answering a fan's question about what name had been chosen for the LotGK and if it had been any of the names suggested during the Narnia.com sweepstakes:

David Magee wrote:We have not given her a name as of yet and might not use any name in the dialogue.

So... maybe this is good news for fans who were opposed to her being given a name? (In the immortal words of Mike Wazowksi...) It seems like at this point there's a fighting chance that the name won't appear in the film, but since he says dialogue specifically, I'm wondering if they'll have the name appear in the credits instead. Perhaps so they can fulfill the obligation of naming her created by the sweepstakes? I can't remember if the sweepstakes rules said anything about that or not.

Interesting since I've been wondering whatever happened with that sweepstakes for some time now!
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby narnia fan 7 » Dec 05, 2016 7:54 am

I'd almost forgotten about the naming sweepstakes. I didn't really like the idea of giving the Lotgk a name so I'm glad it sounds like they might not be giving her a name after all.

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I'm wondering if they'll have the name appear in the credits instead. Perhaps so they can fulfill the obligation of naming her created by the sweepstakes? I can't remember if the sweepstakes rules said anything about that or not.

The sweepstakes page has been taken down. but If I'm remembering it right the rules only said that the name would be uesd in the script.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Previous