This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Mystery Mansion--Who's Interested?

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Are you interested in a summer Mystery Mansion?

Yes--I would like one in July
42%
Yes--I would like one in August
No votes
Yes--July or August works
17%
Maybe
33%
No
8%

Total votes : 12

Mystery Mansion--Who's Interested?

Postby Delia Death » Jun 08, 2015 1:29 pm

Greetings, fellow Nwebbers!

The moderators of Ditto Town are considering running another Mystery Mansion this summer. They've taken notes of the problems with last year's (although if you have any specific thoughts, I wouldn't mind hearing from you!) and are putting their heads together to create a new mystery.

Before they go too far, however, they would like to get an idea of who is interested in participating. Please indicate your preferences in the poll--this will help them decide what to do next.

For those of you who have not participated in these before, a Mystery Mansion is like a regular mansion, but shorter, with a bit more of a tabletop RPG feel.

If you happen to have an idea for a story, feel free to PM it to me. I will pass it along for the moderator's consideration.

EDIT: Also, kindly post if you vote in the poll, so we know who to keep in mind.
Delia Death
Ditto Town Host
Ghost Wrangler

Re: Mystery Mansion--Who's Interested?

Postby Melian_Maia » Jun 08, 2015 3:59 pm

I'm definitely interested! Voted for one in July since I'll be in the process of getting ready to move/moving in August.
Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie! Secret Order of the Swoosh
Melian_Maia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby PrinceCor004 » Jun 09, 2015 2:23 pm

*emerges out of the shadows of time*

I voted for July. There is a very slim chance I might be off on vacation during that month, but it's looking like that won't happen.

I'm guessing this particular mystery mansion won't last for months and months, then? ;)
Avvie by the great Djaq!

http://bennettsreviews.blogspot.com/

^ Short tribute to James Horner (1953-2015)
PrinceCor004
Moderator Emeritus
Soundtrack Man of SO

Postby Lady Arwen » Jun 09, 2015 7:22 pm

It most definitely will not. :P At the moment, it looks like you can expect it to be a little more tabletop RPG style.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Jun 11, 2015 7:07 am

MY PASSWORD WORKED!

So first.... Yeah. What if? Oh shoot. I loved filling out character sheets so much. Who's putting together the plot line for this? I planned a mansion once... I think that I never finished it, though. Heh. Moderator fail.
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby Lady Arwen » Jun 11, 2015 10:37 am

I remember your plot, Sweeet, and actually a condensed version of that might make a good Mystery Mansion at some point. The plot is set up by the gamemaster(s), who then have NPCs (non-playing characters) to help along the players when they get stuck. Only the gamemaster(s) know the entirety of the plot: the players only know the setup and their own goals. Last year each character didn't have enough of their own personal goals, so we've revised it a bit so things can run smoother and faster.

At least one DT moderator is always a gamemaster. If someone comes up with a plot, and it gets used, they will also be a gamemaster, because they know the end game.

One of the major things that we pull from RPGs is that characters can only have a certain number of strengths, but must have some, and that risks and awards are assessed by a roll of the die. It's really much less complicated than it sounds, mainly because the gamemasters take care of all the rolls and etc.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Cymru » Jun 11, 2015 11:16 am

How does it work exactly?
That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong. ~ F.Scott Fitzgerald
Cymru
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Stylteralmaldo » Jun 11, 2015 11:23 am

I voted mostly to fulfill the requirement that at least one 'no' vote is necessary for it to be a valid vote. ;)

I likely would not participate and did not participate last year.

Have fun with it folks! :)

My nickname emoji: :@)

...Let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity,...with instruction about ablutions, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. (Hebrews 6:1-2)
Stylteralmaldo
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Bloodlines Guru

Postby Lady Arwen » Jun 11, 2015 11:54 am

Cymru, it's a mystery. ;) :P

Basically, think combination story and tabletop RPG like D&D. The person(s) who know the whole story has a non playing character to guide everyone if they get off track. Each person creates a character with a set of skills and personal goals (if you've played D&D or another RPG, it's the basic character building that you have there). In the story, the characters work to fulfill their goal(s), and if they achieve certain goals, they win the game. Characters can die, but it's prefered that they don't.

Oh! I just realized an illustration that would work better for you non-tabletop RPG people: Think a multiplayer Oregon Trail.

Also, Cymru, I was thinking that this might be something that your daughter might enjoy doing, since she's so inventive and, well, comes from your family. ;)
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby shastastwin » Jun 11, 2015 1:08 pm

I voted maybe as I'm not sure what my participation level will be no matter the timing. I miss Ditto Town, though, and writing here.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Varnafinde » Jun 11, 2015 1:17 pm

I'm another maybe - although it could be fun, I don't know whether I will have time for it.

I didn't participate last year, although I followed the story as it went along, so I don't know all there is to know about how it works. And I have never played in either tabletop RPGs or Oregon Trail :p
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 12, 2015 3:36 pm

I put down "maybe." I would like to participate, but I am so ridiculously busy right now that it wouldn't be smart for me to commit to anything. Both July and August are going to be pretty full for me, so I'm not even going to try to choose between them, and I wouldn't want anyone to go to the trouble of trying to plan it around my crazy schedule anyway. :P
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby coracle » Jun 13, 2015 1:30 am

For those of us who've not done this sort of thing before, is there a link we could follow to an earlier one?

;;) Please?
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby stargazer » Jun 13, 2015 11:54 am

Last year's Mansion begins here, Auntie. That opening post includes a few notes on how this is different than usual RP threads.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Lady Arwen » Jun 13, 2015 3:08 pm

We're hoping that this year's will be a bit more streamlined. :)
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Anhun » Jun 15, 2015 4:01 pm

I'm game.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Next