This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Eustace - Will Poulter

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Eustace - Will Poulter

Postby Impending Doom » Oct 27, 2013 2:42 pm

CorazonBandido55 wrote:It is my opinion that Will Poulter will not need to be recast. He was 17 at the time of Dawn Treader. He looks younger than he is. And let's not forget that it's quite common for actors in their 20s to play the role of teenagers in movies. The only real issue may be his height. But I'm sure some of you have seen the dwarves in Hobbit film. Nothing that camera angling and some CGI size modifications can't fix.

Exactly! I believe Poulter would be able to pull off a very good Eustace in SC (with proper make-up and size modifications), but I think he'd be WAY too old by the time LB comes out - that's if they get that far. That's why some fans want him to be recast.

Personally, I would love to see Poulter back, Even if that makes his character a little older! He's a great actor and a perfect Eustace, but I would understand, and wouldn't lose any sleep, if he gets recast.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Oct 27, 2013 4:16 pm

He is written as a youngish boy, and was last played as a very young teen. It is just not possible for a very tall young man to recreate this child character. This will not be like Skandar playing Edmund in PC where he was playing him as something like 14-15 (and with the life experience of his adult Narnian king self).
The pitfall for using Will is that the matching Jill would need to be fairly tall as well, and yet play her as 12-14. This leads to the risk of young teen romance nonsense.
[The best way the relationship can be written is a genuine friendship growing between two very different schoolmates. It's not only healthier but also good modelling for kids to know that they can be friends instead of only 'boyfriend/girlfriend'. ]
BBC's version had chunky shorter Eustace and tall leggy Jill (punning deliberately on her surname?) since girls do their growing earlier than boys. I can't see it exactly working the other way round, but we could have a Jill only about 5'2, not yet grown very tall. There'd be the usual risk of her growing taller during filming!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Son of Tash » Jan 25, 2014 3:37 am

they should keep will poulter i mean come on Ben Barnes was 26 when he played Caspian, and will still has the look of a teenage boy (16 i would say)
In the name of Tash,My Lord and King of Darkness
Son of Tash
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Aslan Fan » Feb 06, 2014 1:18 pm

Will Poulter will always be Eustace in my mind. But if ages issues get in the way. And the Director chooses another actor which I would not like to say the least. :((
But Asa Butterfield might be a good replacement. He'd be sooooo different but I think he could do it!
Aslan Fan
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby PhelanVelvel » Apr 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Son of Tash wrote:they should keep will poulter i mean come on Ben Barnes was 26 when he played Caspian, and will still has the look of a teenage boy (16 i would say)

That's what I'm saying. Caspian was supposed to be a teen and I think Ben played him very faithfully at an age waaay more than what it is in the book. I think Poulter could portray an older teen pretty well, I took him to be playing a thirteen year-old Eustace in VDT and he was, like, seventeen at the time. He's only 21 now, thirty year-olds play high school kids all the time and no one seems to mind. I want to see Will Poulter back. He can play an older teen without a problem in my opinion, especially if Barnes was considered acceptable as Caspian.

All the kids were pushed up in age from their theoretical book ages. I don't feel like it affects the story in any significant way. Really, guys, I'm not sitting here like OH GEEZ LUCY WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SIX AND EUSTACE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE TWELVE and whatever other ages, I don't even know them. Age doesn't affect the story that much, learning to trust and learning to be kind to others are lessons that some adults still haven't mastered. Older ages may open up more romance possibilities, but we shouldn't need them to cast younger kids just to avoid adding in a romance that wasn't present in the book, you know?
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby jewel » Jun 04, 2014 6:50 am

Certainly yes. He did good at acting also. I never heard anybody say they didn't like Will Poulter for playing Eustace.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Jun 04, 2014 11:26 am

Well, I for one did not care for Ben Barnes's age in Prince Caspian. He was way too old for me. It wasn't that he didn't do a good job in the role, but the fact that they cast him so far away from his implied age in the book, it completely changed the way he interacted with all the characters, and while some people liked that (and that's fine if you did), it didn't work for me. I did however, like his age in VDT.
So yeah, that argument isn't a good one to use to convince me to have Will return, sorry. ;))

But age isn't what's determining my opinion, it's his appearance and his voice. He needs to look school age, and Will is far beyond that.
http://willpoulter.net/pictures/display ... p?pid=1678
As of right now, Will is 21. To put it in perspective, Daniel Radcliff was 19/20 when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was filmed. We still have probably a year or two minimum until filming before The Silver Chair starts. Much as I loved Will in VDT (he was one of the few things I did love), he's just not an option for me for SC. :(
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby EmpressJadis » Jul 02, 2014 11:38 pm

I really liked Poulter in this role for a number of reasons, however, as is always the case, it concerns me how old he is. I mean, of course, they had to make him fit with Skandar Keynes and Georgie Henley who were understandably aging, but now their Jill pole will have to be older in the Silver Chair, and the whole thing gets away from you. Oh dear, sorry if this was the wrong place to put that! Please tell me if it was! It's just, that's the problem I have with that casting. Apart from that though, he is a brilliant and talented actor and I look forward to seeing him in the next movie!
EmpressJadis

Just because they can't feel it too doesn't mean that you have to forget

The Call, Prince Caspian
(Song by Regina Spektor)
EmpressJadis
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby jewel » Jul 26, 2014 12:59 pm

He was really good to.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ShastaOnTheRun » Aug 26, 2014 8:46 pm

Will Poulter was too old for Eustace even in VotDT. Don't get me wrong. He's a great young actor and did a fantastic job, and back then the age discrepancy really wasn't too much. But unfortunately he'll be WAY too old to play Eustace by the time Silver Chair is produced. For goodness sake, Eustace is supposed to be a schoolboy, probably in grammar school. Same with Jill Poll. Sorry, having full-grown man in the part (and therefore a full-grown woman as Jill) just wouldn't work! There's certainly nothing wrong with recasting the part. Kids do grow up, after all, and trying to shoehorn Will back into the part would really ruin the movie.
ShastaOnTheRun
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Reepi » May 05, 2015 10:09 am

In very strange and very weird news, Will Poulter is now talks of playing Pennywise the Clown in a new, 2 part adaptation of Stephen King's IT. He apparently impressed the director so much with his audition that he is now getting the role, despite being so young.
Not sure what to think about this, but from his previous roles, Will Poulter already seemed capable of acting many different roles in a great way already, but horror ? :p
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » May 05, 2015 11:52 am

I saw this news yesterday on FB. So bizarre. And yet, somehow, I can imagine him being really good in this role. I won't see it myself cause i don't like horror, but good for Will on landing the role.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby jewel » May 08, 2015 12:15 pm

I wish they bring Will Poulter back. :)
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » May 08, 2015 5:04 pm

Jewel, a lot of us are sorry we can't have Will back to play Eustace. He was an ideal actor for that role, partly because he was a lot older than the age he was playing and had had a lot of experience in a variety of acting work. His older brother emailed with me at one time, and said Will was really late with his growth spurt, which was helpful when the production got delayed. But very soon after it was finished, he grew and matured, and now he's a man in his 20s with a deep voice, there is no way he can play 14.
We wish him well in his career.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby DamselJillPole » May 21, 2015 1:28 am

My jaw dropped when I read about Will Poulter portraying Pennywise in the It remake. I'm a huge fan of Stephen King and I love the tv movie and the book so it took me about a few days to accept the choice. Will has proved himself a great actor and I'm willing to give him a chance. Can't wait to see his portrayal as the clown and the famous line delivery "We all float down here."
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Reepi » Jun 28, 2015 1:05 am

The director of IT has left the project over numerous creative differences with the studio (Like him wanting to make 2 movies, whereas the studio only wanted 1). Initially, he wanted an older actor to play Pennywise, but the studio told him they wanted someone younger, but apparently Will Poulter was a little too young for them 8-| Not sure what this will mean for Will Poulter, but it seems he won't play Pennywise after all.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext