This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Poll: The Green Lady in the Upcoming Film

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

What back story should they include for the Green Lady?

Magical connection to white witch
5%
Blood connection to white witch
5%
Other
5%
How she enslaved the people of Bism
10%
Connection to Harfang Giants
No votes
Creation of Underland
15%
Story of Father Time
15%
Connection to Snakes
20%
Source of Mind-Control Powers
No votes
None
25%

Total votes : 20

Poll: The Green Lady in the Upcoming Film

Postby Anhun » Oct 16, 2014 10:37 am

There have been some suggestions that they might include additional information about the Green Lady in the film (we already know they're giving her a name) :-o so I created a pole to gauge how Narniawebbers feel about that, and what they like to see included. None of these are mutually exclusive, except for "none," so you can check off as many as you would like. I'm going to explain options that I feel need a note of explanation:

magical association with white witch: they might have been partners in magic at some point in the past, or the Green Lady might have been the White Witch's apprentice. Something of that nature.

connection to snakes: Maybe she likes snakes and taught herself to turn into one magically, animagus-style. Maybe she was originally a snake and taught herself to assume human form. Any explanation of how she became a shape-shifter, or any association with snakes that isn't in the book falls in this category. If you just want them to show her turning into a snake, that doesn't fall into this category, because its not added back story, it's included in the book.

None: this means that she would have no back story other than what is stated in the book. [-x

N.B.: This is not intended to be a debate about what the Green Lady's "true." origins are. That topic has, and rightly deserves, its own thread. This is about the appropriate scope of the film's narrative. Of course, if you have some hypothetical mini-stories they might include *-:) , that would be on-topic.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Poll: The Green Lady in the Upcoming Film

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 02, 2014 2:17 pm

Hmmm! Good idea for a thread. Since I could select multiple options on the poll, I selected five. In no particular order...

1. How she enslaved the people of Bism. We actually do hear about this in the book, so I would really like for it to be included in the movie.

2. Creation of Underland. I would like to know how, when, and why it was built. (Had she been banished down there?)

3. Story of Father Time. Father Time is one of the most intriguing aspects of the journey into Underland; I would love it if they explored that a little further, as long as it seems like it fits with the story.

4. Connection to Snakes. I think this one is definitely worth exploring. Is she a snake who can turn into a woman, or is she a woman who can turn into a snake? Is she a "real" being or does she border on the supernatural? We don't know.

5. None. Lol. ;)) If they can't do it well, they shouldn't do it at all. The Lady of the Green Kirtle is a profoundly compelling character without a backstory, and even if they added one, they had better preserve the mystery. Hints and suggestions would be better. No heavyhanded exposition, please.

This option isn't in the poll, but if the filmmakers want to give her backstory, I think my favorite option is that she's a naiad turned evil. (I guess that would fall under the umbrella of "Connection to the Fountain"?) Arguably, there is some evidence to support this in The Silver Chair, and I would very much like for any backstory they give her to be grounded in and inspired by the original story.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby DamselJillPole » Nov 27, 2014 9:32 pm

The first 2 seem intriguing. however I went and chose the creation of underland. Ditto to what Rose said, I want to know if she was banished there and if she was even there since the beginning of Narnia. That would be an interesting backstory.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lilygloves » Dec 06, 2014 1:15 pm

I think these are all interesting ideas, but I think the one I would want to see the most would be the magic connection to the WW. I think that if the movie portrays their relationship through their skills, for example learning magic through a similar process or something like that, it would fix the idea that they're the same person.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Anhun » Dec 30, 2014 6:44 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:1. How she enslaved the people of Bism. We actually do hear about this in the book, so I would really like for it to be included in the movie.

No, we don't. We know the what, but not the how. Did she entice them up to Underland one by one, similar to how she enslaved Rilian? Did she cast a spell on the entire country some how? Did she invade Bism by force?
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Golg » Apr 13, 2015 12:26 am

I would like to see her connections with snakes and/or a possible association with Father Time.

I was always fascinated by both Father Time and the LotGK because they were both very mysterious, which leads me to my third choice on the list:

None. Knowing nothing about her made her fun! (That and her bipolar shift when Puddleglum stamped out her fire)
Golg
NarniaWeb Regular