This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Thanksgiving 2014 - I'm Thankful For...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Thanksgiving 2014 - I'm Thankful For...

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 10, 2014 2:14 pm

I have been starting the Thanksgiving thread on here for several years, I usually try to start it on the first of the month. However November for the last couple of years has started rather hectically. This year was no exception.

As always what are your favorite traditions or memories of Thanksgiving are?

My absolute favorite tradition is my family’s “thankful for” jar. Most of you already know about this, but I'm going to post it again so everyone knows. :) Years ago when I was about 6 years old my Mom started the tradition and we’ve done it every year since then. Here’s how it works, we get a large canning jar (or any container wide enough mouth to stick your hand in :D ), some nuts, M&M’s, candy corn, or other small candy and nuts. We pass the jar around the table and saying either "Thank you God for…"or "I’m thankful for…", and then we drop one piece of candy in the jar for each 'thankful for'. We usually do this at lunch every day until Thanksgiving and then on Thanksgiving and the days following it we get to eat the candy and nuts. We each do 6-8 thankful fors everyday depending on the size of the candy or nuts we are using that day. We normally have 2-3 large canning jars filled by Thanksgiving. :)

The special thing about this Thanksgiving is my grandparents are will be here! It’s been so long since my grandparents last came to our house for Thanksgiving. My whole family and I are really looking forward to their visit as it will be the last time they visit us here because we are moving again.

I'm thankful for...
~My savior, Jesus Christ!
~My parents! I couldn't ask for a better Mom or Dad, they are so wonderful. :)
~Big brother and little brothers! Sometimes they are pains, but mostly they are awesome! B-)
~Sisters, big and little! Life without my sisters would be so very boring, each and everyone of them is fabulous! ;;)
~Grandparents, aunts & uncles, cousins. Family is the best! :D
~My pen-pal and her family. Outside of my family the one person whose friendship means the most to me is my pen-pal's. ;;)
~All of the wonderful people here on NarniaWeb! :ymhug:

So, what are you thankful for this year?

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Re: Thanksgiving 2014 - I'm Thankful For...

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 12, 2014 3:33 am

For being Australian and not having to attend two big family functions two months in a row......hahah

Though one of my housemates is an American on exchange, and is upset he will miss thanksgiving.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Nov 16, 2014 12:31 pm

This year I am thankful that despite my going into preterm labor again, God allowed me to carry my daughter full term so I didn't have to deal with another preemie in the NICU. I have a healthy baby girl to celebrate Thanksgiving with. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 18, 2014 11:44 am

Congratulations, fantasia! :ymapplause: That's so exciting!

I'm thankful for... theme: BOOKS!
Fiction
Down Where My Love Lives by Charles Martin
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Swiss Courier by Tricia Goyer

Non-fiction
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Let Me Be A Woman by Elisabeth Elliot
And The Bride Wore White by Dannah Gresh
Best Friends for Life by Michael and Judy Phillips
Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose
The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan

Authors
MaryLu Tyndall
Charles Martin
Tricia Goyer
Davis Bunn
C.S. Lewis
Elisabeth Elliot

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby 220chrisTian » Nov 26, 2014 2:26 pm

SnowAngel: thank you so much for starting this thread! :ymhug: I'm glad your grandparents are still alive to celebrate. All of mine are dead.

Fantasia: congrats on the new baby! :D

I’m going to a local restaurant with my mom tomorrow for Thanksgiving. I also wrote an editorial on the holiday. Please read it. http://artsandculturereviews.wordpress. ... ng-thanks/

The power went out at home this afternoon. It came back a half-hour later, but lots of libraries and cafes in town didn't have wireless access as a result. So I'm HUGELY thankful for working internet now, and electricity! I'm also thankful for my small family, food, clothes, shelter, church, and heat (I went without it for a night and day in January). :)
220chrisTian

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 27, 2014 2:01 pm

220chrisTian wrote:SnowAngel: thank you so much for starting this thread! :ymhug: I'm glad your grandparents are still alive to celebrate. All of mine are dead.
I am so thankful they were able to be here this week, especially since we will be moving the beginning of 2015. And they won't be able to visit us very often, maybe once a year.

Our Thanksgiving menu for 2014 was...
Fried Chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Buttermilk Biscuits
Cranberry Jello Salad

And for dessert…
Butterscotch Pecan Pie
Cold Pumpkin Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
and Freshly Whipped Cream

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!!

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Nov 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'm thankful for all God has done for me.

I am thankful for (in no particular order):
My newish full time job I had been looking for a long time and had pretty much given up.
NarniaWeb
My friends, especially friends that are willing to have hard conversations with me, are willing to correct be when I'm wrong, and forgive me when I get mad / upset with them.

Since Snow Angel started a theme, I'll do that too. Although I'll combine books and authors in one list. ;))
Chronicles of Narnia
C.S. Lewis
J.R.R. Tolkien
Jane Austen
Agatha Christie
The old Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Quinlin » Nov 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Just popping in to share a few things I'm most thankful for this year...

~God, for all the blessings He has given me and the endless love He shows.
~My family, of course. I couldn't have better parents and relatives to surround me.
~My little dog, who floods me with kisses and makes me smile no matter what.
~My best friend whom I've been ever so lucky to known for so many years now. She's like a sister to me and there's no one more amazing to share everything with. :ymhug:
~Music. There's nothing more remarkable.
~ My favourite musicians, authors, and artists who inspire, provoke, and give me constant strength and ideas for the many things in my life.
~All the amazing Narniawebbers I've met here and shared many fond memories with over the seven years that I've been here. You've been my little family. :)

And no thanks would be complete without Narnia and the beauty of C.S. Lewis' magical world, which has held its spell since I picked up the first book. It ever drives me in my faith and serves as the greatest reminder that beautiful things can be achieved. Just look for them.

Happy Thanksgiving and to a cheery holiday season! :)

~Quin
I've Been to Narnia!
'I can still hear the hoofbeats in my heart'
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub