This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Video games

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Video games

Postby shastastwin » Sep 03, 2014 6:06 am

fantasia wrote:So, I've actually been playing a new-to-me video game. My brother lent me his 3DS and I've been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening. It's pretty fun though I enjoyed Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii) a bit more than this one so far. But I am not far into the game at all so I probably shouldn't judge. If you're not familiar with this game, it's a turn based strategy RPG.

I'm actually playing Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the DS right now. A friend of mine was getting rid of it because he stopped playing it so long ago he forgot where he was in it. ;)) He's planning on going through the GameCube and Wii games now, though. I'm enjoying it well enough so far. I'm familiar with the style of gameplay from the GameBoy Advance version of LotR: The Third Age, though that game had the option to keep your characters that died in battle.

I'm also working on completing what extra bits I can in Kingdom Hearts on PS3 and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance on 3DS. I'm on the last world for each of them, but I want to do everything I can before reaching that point, especially for the original KH, as I can't go back and collect stuff post-final battle. 8-| I need to get a move on, though, as there's another KH game on this disc and the second collection is going on my Christmas list. ;))
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby fantasia » Sep 04, 2014 2:26 pm

shastastwin wrote:I'm actually playing Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the DS right now. ... I'm familiar with the style of gameplay from the GameBoy Advance version of LotR: The Third Age, though that game had the option to keep your characters that died in battle.

I'm kind of surprised Shadow Dragon doesn't because Awakening does. Of course I'm the kind of person that if one of my characters dies, I immediately reset the battle. :P ;))

I don't know that there are very many gamers left on Nweb that go for the new games the moment they release, but I'll ask anyways... is anybody going to get Destiny on Tuesday? My brother actually took all of next week off of work so he could play it. :P ;)) I guess it's supposed to be like a cross between Halo and World of Warcraft? I haven't looked into it much because I don't have the time for mmos anymore, but it still kind of intrigued me.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby shastastwin » Sep 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Shadow Dragon is a remake of the original game in the series, and I think one of its trademarks was the Real Death aspect. At any rate, I tend to restart if I lose a character as well. ;))
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby fantasia » Oct 07, 2014 5:30 pm

SL, you may be interested to know that my husband fired up WoW again. :)) I think only for a month or so, and he did so just to level his paladin to 90 to see if he could solo the old classic instances like Molten Core and Black Wing Lair. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Ohh? How did that go? ;)) It's really worth it to go hit up Pandaria. I thought Northrend was fun but Pandaria brings a whole new level to the game. ;)

PS: You can own your own little farm now and grow crops, use them in different recipes (each boosts certain stats of course), turn them in for faction rewards, or just sell them and make piles of money. B-)
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby fantasia » Dec 12, 2014 5:18 pm

Well, I was wrong in my above statement, my husband is now lvl 100 with his big ol' castle and personal squadron of heroes. :P I have to admit, Warlords of Draenor is pretty darn cool. Definitely better than Cataclysm and a billion times better than Pandarea. The storyline is pretty cool, though I'm curious to see where it goes. It's got that whole "I'm my own grandpa" thing going on.
I've been playing about one set of quests a day (maybe an hour?) and my own paladin is up to lvl 20. :) I'm just having fun following the quests to see the new storyline. I played a bit with Cataclysm, but that was a long enough time ago that I've forgotten what happened and it's been updated even more since then. And is it just me or has the land healed up since then?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Shadowlander » Dec 12, 2014 5:46 pm

Out of curiosity what server are you on? I've been working on my garrison and it's still level 2. I'm level 98. :P

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby fantasia » Dec 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Our old server that my husband still plays on, is Daggerspine. On the rare occasion I play, I'm on Drenden. It's a non-pvp server cause I only have so much time, I don't want to deal with gankage. :P
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby shastastwin » Dec 14, 2014 5:45 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote: It's a non-pvp server cause I only have so much time, I don't want to deal with gankage.

;)) FK. I know how you feel, though. I've never been a big fan of PvP games even when I have the time to deal with them.

My mom-in-law gave me the second Kingdom Hearts HD collection for Christmas this year, so I'm eager to get started on that. First I need to at least finish the first playthrough of the games on the first collection, which I bought last year with Christmas money. I'm almost to the end of the first game in that collection, with just optional bosses and final crafting runs left before the final world. I've started the second game in the collection and am about 1/4 of the way in. I haven't played much lately because I sometimes have trouble balancing video game time when I get started on it. ;)) I think I'm learning the balance now, though, so maybe I can make some progress.
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby AstroWolfD » Dec 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Who here dabbles in MOBAs? I got into Infinite Crisis for a while now. Took me a while to get used to the genre, but I'm becoming quite good if I do say so myself. Great starter MOBA for anyone interested, as it does a good job of teaching you the ropes since the big update a couple months ago.

In other gaming news, Wolfy and I are still going strong in LOTRO, and started playing DC Universe online a couple of months ago. I was also the lucky recipient of a WiiU this Christmas, so I will definitely be checking out a few games there. Can't wait to pick up Smash.
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 26, 2015 8:18 pm

Now that I finally have the laptop I have been wanting forever, I am starting to build my PC game library. I have Rainbow Six: Vegas and Vegas 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, H.A.W.X., Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and now Half Life 2 (thanks to SL!).

I have played through Conviction and started Vegas 2. I had a blast playing Conviction, but it was a little strange to not be playing co-op. :)

I need to download COD:MW3 and Half Life 2, so I can play them next. :)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby shastastwin » Mar 27, 2015 6:41 am

I wrote:I need to at least finish the first playthrough of the games on the first collection, which I bought last year with Christmas money. I'm almost to the end of the first game in that collection, with just optional bosses and final crafting runs left before the final world. I've started the second game in the collection and am about 1/4 of the way in.

I have finished my complete playthrough of Kingdom Hearts I. I may not go back and do my other playthroughs for a while since I incorrectly assumed I needed to "Platinum" the game (by unlocking all the trophies on PS3) to get the shiny PS3 theme unlocked. I just had to complete the game. ;)) I'll definitely be replaying that one, though. It was very much the fun game I had always anticipated.

I'm much closer to done on my first playthrough of KH: Re: Chain of Memories, which is the PS3 HD remake of the PS2 release of the GameBoy Advance installment in the franchise. (Try saying that 3 times fast.) It took me a while to get used to the different dynamic of the game with the card-based attack system, but I've enjoyed it more than a lot of the series' fans out there. I'm on level 11 (I think?) of 13, so once I start playing again I'll probably finish up that run within a few days. Then I'll either play the second half of the game (it's designed to play through each of two characters' stories) or jump into the second KH collection. I've also got No Ni Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch to finish. (No, it's not THAT white witch, but it is a fun game.) I'm still pretty early on in that game.

A friend of mine also lent me Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, which I've only just begun. I made it somewhere into the first dungeon after borrowing it, and then got sidetracked by finishing up my KH I playthrough. ;))
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Shadowlander » Mar 27, 2015 4:35 pm

If I can get my mitts on an extra copy of any of the WW2 Call of Duty games you better believe we'll be playing head to head on that, SA. Me and my trusty Garand will make mincemeat out of my foes! MWahahahaha!

Oh, sorry, had a moment there. *ahem*

I finished off Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 and am almost done with KotOR 2. They're both excellent games, although #2 was initially released buggy and unfinished. I ended up downloading a patch to implement all the cut material so it pads out to a longer length of game and it's a much better game for the readded material! Once those are done....back to Civ IV. It's digital heroin. ;))

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 06, 2015 10:52 am

Shadowlander wrote:If I can get my mitts on an extra copy of any of the WW2 Call of Duty games you better believe we'll be playing head to head on that, SA. Me and my trusty Garand will make mincemeat out of my foes! MWahahahaha!

Oh, sorry, had a moment there. *ahem*
Definitely. You just thinking you are going to make mincemeat, SL. 8-| It might turnout to be the other way around. B-)

Don't say sorry when you don't mean it. ;)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Arwenel » May 12, 2015 9:44 pm

I've been meaning to pop back in here, now that i've finished Watch_Dogs for the PS3.

A hit-and-miss game for me in a couple ways, though it kept me engaged enough that i focused on it to the exclusion of the Internet and the Sims ;)).

It was adequate, story-wise, though it didn't cover anything that hadn't already been touched on by other stories of revenge-driven vigilantes. Still, it felt like it managed to make the story "big enough" without making it unbelievably complex.

I've seen people say the side characters were more interesting than Aiden, the main character, and that's a fair assessment. Some of them irritated me by doing things that didn't make sense, and one died a pointless death, but i liked most of the interactions between Aiden and his sister.

The most frustrating part was Aiden's inability to hold still while behind cover -- try and aim the gun, and he would move instead. Mostly staying behind cover, but it got really annoying when i wanted to shoot something.

One element i really liked about it, though, was the amount of side content available. None of it is necessary to the main plot, and almost all of it can be done before, during, and after the main plot -- no worries about passing some threshold whereupon everything previous becomes inaccessible. It's also more varied than the side quests in, say, Skyrim or Mass Effect: some are hack-into-this-building, some are car races, you can play chess, track down a serial killer, or play some truly bizarre mini-games completely unrelated to the story.

Content-wise, the violence isn't too horrible (i don't think), but uh, i would advise not watching too many of the videos you can see by hacking into the city servers. Or anywhere else, for that matter. Really unnecessary.

I could go on in a disconnected ramble about the other elements of the game, but i think i've hit the high points. This is why i don't post too often. Organizing my thoughts is hard.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby SnowAngel » Aug 01, 2015 4:30 pm

After gets stuck on Half Life 2 for a while, my brother helped me get out of Ravenholm and over the last few weeks I have made steady progress on the game. And while I would rather be playing Call of Duty or Medal of Honor, I have enjoyed Half Life 2. I am working on finishing Half Life 2, so I can start Bad Company 2 or maybe COD 4.

Have you gotten any of the WWII Call of Duty games yet, SL? I have them all and a couple of other friends would love to play, so anytime now. ;)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

PreviousNext