This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Narnian Villain

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the vilest of them all?

Jadis/The White Witch (LWW/MN)
28%
Maugrim (LWW)
4%
King Miraz (PC)
6%
The Lady of the Green Kirtle (SC)
22%
Tash (LB)
13%
Ginger the Cat (LB)
2%
Shift (LB)
10%
Prince Rabadash (HHB)
6%
Uncle Andrew (MN)
4%
Other (please specify)
5%

Total votes : 161

Re: Favorite Narnian Villain

Postby DancingPrincesses » Jul 08, 2012 9:15 pm

I voted Tash, the description where he is seen gliding through the trees always terrified me more than any of the other descriptions of the villains C.S. Lewis had in the Narnia books.

My RL sibs are Adeona, Mars Aviator, Lizzle, NarnianCricket, and Andriel
DancingPrincesses
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 09, 2012 7:10 pm

I voted for The Lady of the Green Kirtle.
She's such a clever villain.

She tricked Eustace and Jill by talking very sweetly to them (in such a lovely voice, too) and encouraging their desperate desire for warm rooms and hot food. Then she almost got them to submit to her magic when they had met Prince Rilian. And what she did to him ...

It's interesting that at last - when Puddleglum destroys most of her magic fire - she gives up trying to sound lovely, and shouts at them.
Before changing into her serpent form ...
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 13, 2012 2:53 pm

This is quite the toss-up. In terms of "favourite", I suppose you could say it'd be Jadis, especially in MN. She's... I don't know, evilly regal? Regally evil? Her complete disregard for human life is chilling, and her monologue in Charn, when she exposes its end, is... gah. That freaked me right out when I was younger. Now it just freaks me out somewhat. :P Jadis's magic was never explored as much as I'd have liked, but I do find it interesting that she was so willing to use the Deplorable Word almost as soon as she got to Earth. She intrigues me.

In terms of which one I find most interesting, I think that'd be The Lady of the Green Kirdle. Her method for taking over Narnia was on a smaller, more intimate level than Jadis's, the Telmarines', or Rabadash's, and the break from the norm was appreciated. And of course there's the ever popular question, Where did she come from?

In terms of the vilest, though, that'd be Shift. I can't stand that monkey, at all. He made me so, so angry the first time I read it, and I still skip his parts and just read Puzzle's whenever I read LB over again. Tash is frightening, I suppose, but he's not the top villain (mainly because he doesn't have enough material to work with).
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ncfan » Jan 26, 2013 2:10 pm

For me, it has to be Rabadash. He's one of those villains that I didn't think much of when I was a kid, but when I read The Horse and his Boy again as an adult, and realized exactly what his intentions for Susan were, I shuddered. What an utterly vile man.
ncfan
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby PhelanVelvel » Jan 29, 2013 12:50 am

Jadis in The Magician's Nephew is one of the best villains in any book I've ever read. Of course, Narnia is my favourite series, so I'm a bit biased. But she's not just evil. This is no shallow villainy. This is arrogance, fierceness, hunger for power and the desire to subjugate. There is something I almost like about her. Her tenacity, perhaps? The way she is just so confident and wild and just doesn't care about anything or anyone. She just thinks the world belongs to her and owes her something. And she rebels against Aslan in a way that I find almost courageous, if she were not so cruel. At the end of the day, she's bad, I don't want to hang with her and get enslaved or killed. But she's more complex than simply evil, just as Aslan is more complex than simply good, if you take the time to analyse things more closely. Dare I say, "a dem fine woman"? :P MN probably had the best closing paragraph of all the books.

I don't know who on earth they would cast to play her in a film adaptation, but they would have to do better than Tilda Swinton's White Witch. She wasn't fierce, proud, cruel, alluring, tempting, or wild enough. Jadis reminds me a bit of Queen of Pain from Dota 2, but that's a reference I don't know how many people here will get.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Sep 09, 2013 9:52 pm

I'd have to say Maugrim.
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aaronnz » May 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Mine is Maugrim (LWW) is is SO awesome.
aaronnz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aileth » Jul 12, 2014 8:12 am

While I wouldn't say that he is the worst villain in the Chronicles, I think he is my favourite. I love how he is hoist on his own petard, and how it is his own fault, because he was offered grace and the chance to repent, and refused it.

He struck me as being ridiculous from the start, but dangerous as well. After his conversion to another form, he was just plain ridiculous. Definitely not the picture of the most knightly of characters.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 12, 2014 12:56 pm

I chose the Lady of the Green Kirtle, with Jadis being in second place.

While Jadis is terrifying, she never quite gets under your skin the way the LotGK is able to do so. The LotGK is very good at reading people, and she knows just what to say to get you to do what she wants and she plays on your worst fears. Jadis is so obviously evil and it's easy to know that you should steer clear from her, but the LotGK is insidious and she creeps up on you. She is also very clever and even has an intellectual debate of sorts with the questers and Prince Rilian, which is really fascinating to read.

And lastly, she can turn into a giant snake! How terrifying is that?! ;))
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Future Narnian » Sep 07, 2014 10:29 pm

I wouldn't say favorite because I don't like any of them. But I found Tash the worst. He just gave me the creeps.
Future Narnian
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Golg » Sep 10, 2014 10:10 pm

The most evil I would say is hands down Tash, who is implied to be Satan. (I think)

But I voted Jadis because the above seems default... She successfully pulled of omnicide! :-o
Golg
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby HazyHays » Nov 14, 2016 12:40 pm

The White Witch for me. She is pure evil and wants to take everyone in her path down with her.
"Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom, around the bright city War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"~ Mr. Tumnus
HazyHays
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Hwinning » Jun 26, 2017 5:13 am

I'm surprised Shift didn't come out on top. While Jadis would be my favorite villain, Shift is so obviously the most evil. His 'reign' in LB was the darkest part of the entire series.

Shift was the villain who scared me the most because the Narnians wouldn't even know how bad he is hurting them until it is too late. There would be no secret resistance, like there was against Jadis. There would be no angry princes with lots of strong friends, like there was against Miraz. The Narnians don't dare, want to, or see the purpose of going against "Aslan's" will. Shift takes the hope, wonder, and faith from Narnia.

Shift makes Narnia more like our world.
Hwinning
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Aug 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Rabadash, both for the comedic justice at the end, and for the very human arrogance that characterizes his attitude. He's someone you just love to hate.

Hwinning, I make Shift a close second for many of the same reasons.

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Rootwig » Sep 12, 2017 6:30 pm

My favorite Narnian villain is Shift. He's so tricksy. But close behind him is Prince Rabadash and the Lady of the Green Kirtle and Jadis.

Hmm... it may be actually harder to choose my favorite villain than my favorite main character. XD
Rootwig
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Eustace » Sep 20, 2017 11:22 am

Tash is definitely a lot worse to me than the other villains of Narnia even though he is not mentioned a whole lot. I got the feeling he was more powerful than the white witch and liked to feast on the flesh of humans.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext