This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Music: Album Two

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Favorite Music: Album Two

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 21, 2014 1:58 pm

City Harbor's self-titled debut album was finally released on the 4th, and I love it! :) My sisters and I had been waiting for their first CD since we saw City Harbor (then Molly and Josh) in concert fall 2012. We were not disappointed by the CD, except for the fact it's only ten songs. :) I think the best songs on the CD are Come However You Are, Lift It Up, and Heartbeat.

The next CD of 2014 that I am looking forward to is on the 4th of March - Jason Gray's Love Will Have The Final Word. I can't wait! The single, With Every Act of Love, is so good! :D

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Narnian_Archer » Apr 07, 2014 10:56 am

It's been awhile since I've been on Narniaweb...so I'm kind of getting back in the groove of this hallowed sanctuary. :) About half a year ago I started learning fingerstyle guitar and have been listening to a lot of acoustic guitar music - any fingerstyle guitar lovers out there? What are your favorite songs or covers? Who are your favorite musicians?
Here's one of my favorite compositions so far - Igor Presnakovsky's cover of Roxette's "Listen to Your Heart" (I love the original too, by the way :) :D )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5F6OOxnkGM
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 25, 2014 3:23 pm

My current favorite song is....

My sisters and I are absolutely loving Unusual right now. :D So delighted that's finally been released. It was the first song that Francesca Battistelli sang at the concert we went to late summer 2012. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Arwenel » May 18, 2014 10:10 pm

This is a link to my cousin's first album. I believe he wrote all the songs on it. :) I haven't listened to the whole thing yet myself, but i like what i've heard.

Narnian_Archer, i like that cover.

Anyone else out there tend to associate songs with fictional characters? I do, all the time -- it's kind of annoying, but not annoying in the way where you actually mind. Sometimes associating a song with a character helps me like the song better, such as Goodbye by Greg Laswell.

Lastly, i came across this re-tuning of "The Star-Spangled Banner" into a minor key. I looked up a few more major-to-minor transitions (and vice versa). I couldn't find a lot of good ones, but this version of "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" is kinda creepy.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby IloveFauns » May 20, 2014 3:52 am

speaking of covers. There is that odd occasion when the cover is way better than the original.

This is one of them:

It is umbrella(Rihanna) covered by thirsty merc(an Australian band). It is hardly recognisable from the original and I think most will agree has a lot more.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Jun 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Anyone else like Thousand Foot Krutch? Of the bands my brother has add to our music library this year, they are my favorite. And The End Is Where We Begin is my current favorite album of theirs.

I love War of Change, probably because it fits my life so well right now.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 28, 2014 1:56 pm

I've been enjoying Owl City's new EP Ultraviolet. I really like "Beautiful Times" (with Lindsey Stirling on the violin!) and I love "Up All Night" for when I'm up ridiculously late. ;)) "Wolf Bite" is good, too.

Here's the music video for "Beautiful Times":

Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby aileth » Aug 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Here it is, Rosie, the link to The Clay and the Potter. I didn't think I would be able to find one, so I was pleasantly surprised. There are others that I know there--I searched under "children's institute songs" and there are a whole bunch that I know. The Windows of Heaven is not there, as far as I could see, which is too bad: it's another of my favourites. Most of those ones are the earlier Children's Institute songs; the later ones don't seem to be there.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Aw, thank you for finding that for me, aileth! :ymhug: The melody is very pretty and those children have lovely voices. :) I'll have to try to get my brother to learn it on the guitar so we can attempt a folk version of it!

In other music news, I've really been enjoying some of Loreena McKennitt's music lately. "The Mummer's Dance" always makes me want to dance (this live version especially), and her musical version of "The Lady of Shalott" is really beautiful. I'm thinking about rewriting the lyrics of some of her songs (the ballads, mostly) to reflect parts of CoN and then recording them, but seeing as I'm not particularly skilled at rhyming, nor particularly practiced at singing... wish me luck. ;))
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Arwenel » Aug 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Peter Hollens and another youtube musician Malukah recently did a cover of the song "Baba Yetu" from the video game Civilization IV. It's a beautiful song and the lyrics are a Swahili translation of the Lord's Prayer. I've been listening to it repeatedly over the past few days.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby The Pendragon » Sep 29, 2014 12:21 am

This year I have found some INCREDIBLE albums! Here goes the list!

EP's
1. Edge of the Earth by Switchfoot (2014)
What can I say? Its another perfect set of songs <3
Favorite Tracks: "Skin and Bones", "What It Costs", "Liberty", "Edge of the Earth"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFM9iz ... CFospEnMeK

Albums:
1. Hadestown by Anais Mitchell (2010)
Its a Greek mythology story told in the form of a folk album/ soundtrack. My obsession with this album is a problem :p
Favorite Tracks: "Wedding Song", "Way Down Hadestown", "If Its True", "Epic part 2", "Wait For Me".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZoQSThtD6s
One listen and you'll be obsessed, guaranteed ;)

2. Lonesome Dreams by Lord Huron (2012)
Its like a western movie put into an indie folk album. It sounds like a John Wayne movie. And its amazing.
Favorite Tracks: "She Lit A Fire", "Time To Run", "The Ghost on the Shore", "In the Wind"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUxh-jw-C-w

3. Fort Wayne by Heath McNease (2014)
If you could turn autumn into an artist, it would be Heath McNease. He has the perfect mix of sadness and new seasons of life and hope in a way I can't explain.
Favorite Tracks: "Coleridge", "Upper Right", "Traveling Wilburys", "Georgia", "Eastbound 94"

4. The Peace of Wild Things by Paper Route (2012)
This album deserves SO much more attention, its FLAWLESS! Definitely for fans of Imagine Dragons! Even though they're much better ;)
Favorite Tracks: "Love Letters", "Letting You Let Go", "Glass Heart Hymn", "Two Hearts", "Sugar"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgZ1P82rem8

5. The Lone Bellow by The Lone Bellow (2013)
Sounds like...1800's in the summer. Then 1920's. All together old fashioned, ramped up folk. Gotta love that! Mumford and Sons fans will LOVE this!!
Favorite Tracks "Green Eyes and a Heart of Gold", "You Can Be All Kinds of Emotional", "Teach Me To Know", "Button", "Bleeding Out"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8P6eW5SCVw

6. You Belong Here by Leagues (2013)
Catchy catchy CATCHY! Pop/indie/electronic to die for!!!
"Mind Games", "Haunted", "Pass My Way", "Spotlight", "Lost It All"
http://noisetrade.com/jarsofclayspringt ... 12-sampler
NOTE: this EP's versions of "Mind Games" and "Haunted" are MUCH better than the album version!
The Pendragon
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Queen Susan » Oct 14, 2014 8:41 am

SnowAngel, yes, I'm a TFK fan! I've finally given their newest album (Oxygen:Inhale) a listen, and I listened to "Light Up" about 20 times in a row and then played it on the piano a few times, sang it since it was stuck in my head, etc. ;)

I think my favorite genre of music is more indie/folk/I don't know exactly how to describe it, but whenever one of my old favorite rock artists comes out with an album, I have a new appreciation for "soft" rock - LOVE all of TFK's and Skillet's and Red's laidback songs. Almost anything that's filled with strings.

The Pendragon: Oooh, Paper Route! Haven't given them a listen in a while, and didn't realize they had a new album. I'll have to check it out.
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby SnowAngel » Oct 21, 2014 12:43 pm

Queen Susan wrote:SnowAngel, yes, I'm a TFK fan! I've finally given their newest album (Oxygen:Inhale) a listen, and I listened to "Light Up" about 20 times in a row and then played it on the piano a few times, sang it since it was stuck in my head, etc. ;)
Cool! :) Yeah, the new album is much better the more I listen to it. I wasn't sure about it at first. Although it can't top The End Is Where We Begin or Phenomenon for me at least, it is still a really good album. :) I can't think of my favorite songs right now, my sister has Nine Lashes' From Water To War on the stereo behind me.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby HazyHays » Nov 14, 2016 3:39 pm

I totally love music and am mostly into Pop music that I can move to as I also am a dancer and I love to dance. Some of my favorites right now are Flume, Halsey, Rihanna, Selena Gomez, Rihanna, Demi Lovato, Ariana Grande, Alessia Cara, Daya, Zara Larsson, Bebe Rexha, Hailee Steinfeld, Tove Lo, Pentatonix, Lana Del Rey,and Charli XCX,
"Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom, around the bright city War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"~ Mr. Tumnus
HazyHays
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SnowAngel » Jan 21, 2017 7:04 pm

When you open up a thread and realize it been over two years since your last post and you lived in a different state then. :-?

I just got Danny Gokey's new album Rise. It's a great followup to Hope in Front of Me. My favorite song is the title track.

The last two years I have added the following artists to my CD collection: Colton Dixon, Danny Gokey, Audio Adrenaline, Jordan Feliz, Stars Go Dim, and most recently Owl City. Plus Tenth Avenue North, Third Day, and Building 429 have all released music since October 2014. :D

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Jun 28, 2017 7:56 pm

My favorite band Third Day announced a new album today!!! It's called Revival and the release date is August 4th! :D B-) :ymparty: \:D/ :-bd The first single Revival was release a couple months ago, but the album wasn't announced until today. It is probably obvious that I am super happy and very excited about the new album. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

PreviousNext