This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Camp NaNoWriMo 2014

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Camp NaNoWriMo 2014

Postby wild rose » Apr 04, 2014 8:15 am

I'd love to be cabinmates with you in July as well :)

April 1st was a very busy day for me, Tuesdays generally are, and I had trouble finding time to write. Things have sort of smoothed out a bit, thought today I am feeling exceptionaly lazy ;)) Still, I'll try to squeeze some words out of me :P

Summer, I hope you can catch up :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 13, 2014 9:34 pm

Anyone doing this for July?

I was thisclose to signing up, and then life got in the way. But I'd love to hear about other people's projects. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby stargazer » Jul 15, 2014 11:29 pm

I didn't sign up for this, and have a lot of other things going on this month. Still, I've written a few pages for the story I started last November (which I intended to be my NaNo entry but was set aside after only a few thousand words were written). My 2012 NaNo is also unfinished and I hope to return to both of these stories sometime soon - perhaps finishing at least one of them as my NaNo project this November.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Ryadian » Jul 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I didn't sign up for it officially (then again, I never do with the real NaNo, either :P ), but I decided to do a sort of psuedo-NaNo for myself this month, just to get myself writing. :) I'm shooting for less than 40,000 words, and I just hit 27,000 last night. :D I followed someone's suggestion--I believe someone posted this idea in last year's NaNo thread--of front-loading your bigger goals towards the beginning of the month, so that you write more before you start running out of energy. :P So far, it's been working, though now that the goals are getting smaller, I'm sometimes tempted to slack off a bit more. :P

Maybe I'm just insane, but I'm actually thinking of doing this to myself more often. :P I have a horrible tendency to overanalyze my plot and worry about every single plot hole until I've lost my confidence to write, so I kind of want to make myself sit down and get the ideas down on a regular basis. :) Probably not a full NaNo every month, but... maybe something like 20,000 words every couple of weeks or so. Just enough to keep me going. ;)
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby aileth » Jul 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Ryadian wrote:so I kind of want to make myself sit down and get the ideas down on a regular basis. :) Probably not a full NaNo every month, but... maybe something like 20,000 words every couple of weeks or so. Just enough to keep me going. ;)

Um, yeah! I wish :)

Forgot all about CampNaNo in July :-o Wouldn't be much use anyway, as I find it hard to write in the summer--the heat, lack of structure, etc. You'd think the latter would make it easier to write--more time, and all that, but I always get more accomplished when I have limited time and too much other stuff to do.

That said, I have been trying to be more consistent (nowhere near 20k), but little bursts in preparation for November. More short stories than novel work, as there's a quicker turnaround for feedback.

Don't know how much I'll do officially on NaNo either, as I would tend to get distracted by looking at what everyone else is doing.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 18, 2014 9:41 pm

I'm doing Camp NaNo right now. It's been really exhausting with everything else going, especially since I'm going to take the last week off. In the meantime I'm trying to get ahead, but since I first I got behind, I had to catch up. I'm just now starting to get ahead again.
I'm at 30908 words right now, hoping to get to 31k before tomorrow. I'm not sure if it'll work out like this, but I'd like to write as much as I can tomorrow until I'm far enough ahead I can take the last few days off at least.

Ryadian wrote: I followed someone's suggestion--I believe someone posted this idea in last year's NaNo thread--of front-loading your bigger goals towards the beginning of the month, so that you write more before you start running out of energy.

That sounds like a good idea. I really want to try this now, maybe on a random non-NaNo month. I have a tendency to slack off on those months, so perhaps this would help. :)

It doesn't look like that many other people are doing Camp NaNo, but if you are writing this month, would anyone be interested in doing a word war? :)
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby aileth » Jul 18, 2014 11:34 pm

Would love to try a word war, Summer, but I've never tried it before, so you'd have to give me a few hints. And I'm not doing CampNaNo - does that make it harder?

Possibly Tuesday? If it doesn't work out, that's okay too. Sounds like you're going for it with a will, so keep up the good work.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 20, 2014 8:35 pm

No, it shouldn't, seeing as we're just writing as many words as we can in a specified amount of time. :) Do you have a particular time amount you'd like to try? I usually do ten or fifteen minute word wars, but I've gone both lower and higher, so I'm fine with pretty much anything.

I'll try to be on here on Tuesday, and hopefully we can get on at the same time. I don't think I've ever done one on Narniaweb, but I think they may use the chat threads instead of the threads to start and share the word amounts.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby stargazer » Jul 21, 2014 12:42 pm

20,000 words every few weeks is pretty awesome, Ryadian. I wish I were so disciplined.

I know it can be hard to put that inner editor/story analyst to rest when doing NaNo. I tend to write a lot if the muse strikes, but then get bogged down in the analysis once that steam wears off.

My NaNo stories are part of a continuing series, so I've noticed that if I take a break from writing (as I've done recently), I can get confused as to some past events in my stories and may end up writing things that contradict past canon events. Skimming some of my past stories (resisting the urge to further edit!) can help this, and may encourage me to write again. And I've made a list of major and incidental characters to help me remember who is who. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Ryadian » Jul 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Wow, I made myself sound a lot more dedicated than I actually meant. :P What I was actually intending was to continue doing sort-of NaNos, but taking the first week off every month for relaxing/outlining/etc., then shooting for maybe 20K for the rest of the month. That's still probably beyond what I'm actually going to accomplish, but... yeah, I'm not actually that dedicated. :P

aileth wrote:Would love to try a word war, Summer, but I've never tried it before, so you'd have to give me a few hints. And I'm not doing CampNaNo - does that make it harder?

You know, I've heard this term used before, so now I want to know... what's a word war? :ymblushing:
Ryadian

Postby aileth » Jul 21, 2014 3:25 pm

stargazer wrote:My NaNo stories are part of a continuing series, so I've noticed that if I take a break from writing (as I've done recently), I can get confused as to some past events in my stories and may end up writing things that contradict past canon events. Skimming some of my past stories (resisting the urge to further edit!) can help this, and may encourage me to write again. And I've made a list of major and incidental characters to help me remember who is who. ;))

My list is still on bits of paper shoved in the writing drawer, but I intend to get them all nailed down soon. I don't know which is more frustrating, to forget a major character, or to come up with the perfect name for a character and not be able to remember it later. For this next book I'm going to try outlining and see if it helps.

Ryadian wrote:You know, I've heard this term used before, so now I want to know... what's a word war? :ymblushing:

As far as I can tell (here speaks ignorance :) ) a word war is just two or more people having a little competition to see who can get down the most words in a specified time. I know for a certainty that Summer will be armed Florentine style while I only have a wee penknife, but hey, it should be fun. Why? Are you going to come join us? We're going to try to meet up tomorrow (Tuesday) in the chat room and commence fighting I mean, writing :D

Hopefully I'll be on around 7:00 my time, which is two hours off from Central time, which is three hours off from that other time, which is not the same if you're still on winter time #:-s Oh, bother! (And it's TaN tomorrow. Double bother!)

Never mind. If you happen to be around, do come to the party and bring friends.
aileth

Postby Ryadian » Jul 23, 2014 1:09 pm

aileth wrote:As far as I can tell (here speaks ignorance :) ) a word war is just two or more people having a little competition to see who can get down the most words in a specified time.

Ahh, I see. Well, that's another way to encourage you to write without getting distracted, I suppose! :P Sorry I missed it; I thought today was Tuesday. :ymblushing: (That's the problem with not having school or a regular job--you forget what day of the week it is! ;)) )

Well, I'm still making my daily goals, but barely; I can definitely tell that I'm getting close to the end of the month. :P It doesn't help that I had the story up to this point fairly well planned out (at least, in my head; helps that this is the fourth first draft of this story :P ), and now I'm floundering and resorting to coincidence. :P Ah well; I'm about to introduce a character who ought to get the ball rolling, and my characters will finally have motivations beyond "survival". :P
Ryadian

Postby aileth » Jul 23, 2014 10:19 pm

Ryadian wrote:Sorry I missed it; I thought today was Tuesday. :ymblushing: (That's the problem with not having school or a regular job--you forget what day of the week it is! ;)) )

Yeah, I have that trouble in the summer, too, Rya. And it happened earlier this year since the teachers went on strike. Oh well, if I don't get paid, at least I don't have to go to work. That feels backward, somehow :)

I would like to do another word war; it really got me going. 1600 words in an hour may not seem much to some of you, but for me that's unprecedented. I think 700-800 wph is my normal speed.

Not sure what day or time would work, but if you're looking for a little boost, I'm willing :) (9:00 CST seemed to be ideal; there was no one around to interrupt or distract me) Summer, are you interested in having another round?

Perhaps one day I will be blithely talking about whipping off a 120,000-word novel. So far, my first finished novel (65,000 words) took about three years, off and on. The next one seems to be following the same course. I've got too many ideas; I've got to speed it up. So NaNoWriMo it is. I hope :-s
aileth

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 24, 2014 9:42 am

Ryadian wrote: It doesn't help that I had the story up to this point fairly well planned out (at least, in my head; helps that this is the fourth first draft of this story :P ), and now I'm floundering and resorting to coincidence. :P

I hate that point. For me it always seems to come at the 'big end shindig where everything gets tied off in a bow'. My endings are awful. :(

So, to give me a nudge to work on one of those stalled, endingless, stories, I'd be happy to participate in a word war. Anytime next week should work for me. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Ryadian » Jul 24, 2014 10:08 am

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be joining you guys for your word wars; I've been getting headaches every night all week, and I don't know when they plan to let up, so I don't want to make any commitments that require a lot of brainpower. :-/ :P But have fun with them! :) Maybe I'll watch--or, maybe I'll be feeling better by next week and give it a try.

aileth wrote:Perhaps one day I will be blithely talking about whipping off a 120,000-word novel. So far, my first finished novel (65,000 words) took about three years, off and on. The next one seems to be following the same course. I've got too many ideas; I've got to speed it up. So NaNoWriMo it is. I hope :-s

;)) At least you have something finished. I've only finished one story, which I finished when I was 14, and... it's really more like the first section of a book, since I planned to have sequels. ;)) Even with the ones I'm working on now, I'm nearing 35K and I'm not even half-way done with the story. Well, actually, maybe I am; I really need to settle on an ending. ;))
Ryadian

Postby aileth » Jul 24, 2014 10:39 am

Endings are somewhat of a problem for me, too. You sort of get an idea of what you want (maybe) but when you get to it, it doesn't feel satisfactory. Of course, the end was a bit of a rush; I was so sick of it that I just wanted to get finished :) It was a grind, but I'm so glad I actually completed something for once. Now I can remind myself that if I did it once, I can do it again.

Miserable headaches, Rya, hope you're over them soon. Word wars anytime, Mel. Next week will work quite well. We have company coming the middle of August, but that's still a way off.
aileth

PreviousNext