This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What if Aslan is recast?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

What if Aslan is recast?

Postby fantasia » Jan 18, 2014 11:10 pm

So lets say they don't bring Liam Neeson back for SC. I think that's a distinct possibility. If that happens, who do you want to voice Aslan? My pick is Ben Cross (Chariots of Fire, Star Trek). I hear a lot of popularity building for Benedict Cumberbatch though. :P ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: What if Aslan is recast?

Postby Trusty » Jan 19, 2014 12:21 am

I had no idea that Benedict Cumberbatch voiced Smaug, but I was going to suggest this anyway. ;) I hope Liam Neeson makes a return though - if there's going to be continuity with anything it should be Aslan. It'd be a relatively undemanding role, you'd think.
Trusty
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Impending Doom » Jan 19, 2014 11:48 am

If there's one actor they keep from the previous films, it should be Liam Neeson. But if we do have a full recast (which is likely) I think Brian Cox should voice Aslan. I know he was originally planned to be Aslan, so it's not only me who thinks he'd be great! He's certainly got the voice and he has an uncanny likeness to a lion. ;)

It's funny that you mention Benedict Cumberbatch, a couple weeks ago my brother told me that Benedict had an 'Aslan' kind of voice!
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Thunder-Fist » Jan 22, 2014 4:08 pm

While normally I hesitate from the urge to cast actors in similar movies and roles as something they are famous for (there was a lot of that going around after The Lord of the Rings went huge), I think Benedict Cumberbatch could be great. His voice would of course sound much different than it did as Smaug or the Necromancer and, as it is just a voice role, it wouldn't be a cash in on his Hobbit fame. This is more like what I would expect his voice to sound like as Aslan, with some slight tweaking to make it a touch less...tame.
http://inkandoldpaper.tumblr.com/post/5 ... -voice-omp

I think Geoffrey Rush would be my pick. His voice, while less golden, has great character and could be deepened after recording. Although to be honest, I think Rush could make great Puddleglum too.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -C.S. Lewis
Thunder-Fist
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Adeona » Jan 24, 2014 2:57 pm

I'd listened to that reading by Benedict Cumberbatch about a week ago and thought of it while reading your post, even before seeing what the link was. I could definitely see hear Cumberbatch being cast for Aslan. He has a very rich voice, one which makes me think of the old-time radio dramas my Grandpa used to share with us.

Geoffrey Rush... Maybe.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Aslan Fan » Feb 03, 2014 8:50 pm

I agree with you Impending Doom. Brian Cox would be a good second choice. But Narnia wouldn't feel the same again if Liam Neeson didn't come back.
I like Benedict Cumberbatch's voice. But I can't help but thing of other roles he's played. I don't know. He could pull it off fine. Maybe I'll warm up to the idea. :-\
Aslan Fan
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wild rose » Feb 05, 2014 2:14 pm

oh dear, if Liam Neeson didn't come back as Aslan, I think I'd have a heart attack! Okay, that's being rather drastic, but I would be very disappointed to say the least. However IF Aslan was recast, (and I'll agree with the rest of the people who say Narnia would have a totally different feel) I could imagine Benedict Cumberbatch pulling off the role. It would be very different, but it could work. Geoffry Rush...um...I have a hard time seeing (hearing?) him as Aslan. Brian Cox could do the roll pretty well too in my opinion, though I haven't seen very many films with him to make a decent judgment. I think of all options of a 'new' voice for Aslan, so far I think Benedict Cumberbatch suits me best.
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Feb 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Smaug's VA would be a very interesting choice.
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Aslan Fan » Feb 05, 2014 6:25 pm

@ AslanTheLion

Yeah, I think Liam Neeson could pull off the wilder side of Aslan. He just hasn't had much of a opportunity. If they kept the scene with Jill and Aslan in the Giant's room looking at the words "Under Me", he would work. :)
Aslan Fan
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Thunder-Fist » Feb 05, 2014 8:11 pm

I searched the internet a bit trying to find a sample of Geoffrey Rush's voice and I realized that I was wrong. While I think he could get closer to an Aslan voice if he tried, I was thinking of some one else. Now I wonder who is the real owner of the voice I had attached to Rush in my head.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -C.S. Lewis
Thunder-Fist
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aragorn2 » Mar 08, 2014 12:11 pm

How about Bill Nighy!!!

Just kidding :)
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby aaronnz » May 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Donald Sutherland yes please.
Maybe John Hurt.
aaronnz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby 220chrisTian » Jun 06, 2014 12:57 pm

@FK: I LOVE the suggestion of Ben Cross. He's an excellent actor with a beautiful, deep voice. He could pull off the 'wild' side of Aslan well!
220chrisTian

Postby Reepicheep775 » Feb 15, 2016 2:08 pm

An unexpected thought occurred to me the other day: I would like Douglas Gresham to voice Aslan!

His voice is so unique and I could see it conveying both warmth and authority. He has had experience in stage and voice acting, so I would be very interested to see what his performance would be like.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Reepi » Feb 16, 2016 4:50 am

Phew, I'm not even sure if a change in voice actors for Aslan would bug me as much. After all, the model they used for Aslan changed a lot after each movie for some reason :p
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Feb 17, 2016 12:17 am

Reepicheep775 wrote:An unexpected thought occurred to me the other day: I would like Douglas Gresham to voice Aslan!

His voice is so unique and I could see it conveying both warmth and authority. He has had experience in stage and voice acting, so I would be very interested to see what his performance would be like.

I do like Doug's voice very much, but I think it is too well known as himself, in the various roles he plays.

I am thinking about other older, mellow voices, and so far have thought of John Rhys-Davies.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Next