This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Keeping track of CSL events

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Keeping track of CSL events

Postby johobbit » Sep 27, 2013 2:30 pm

The Desiring God conference in Minneapolis this weekend has prompted me to open this topic. There is live streaming of the event, which I have been listening to as much as I could all afternoon: fascinating! I only wish I could be there. :ymdaydream:

http://www.desiringgod.org/live

If you know of a Lewis conference or upcoming event, feel free to post it here. :)

EDIT: We were at lectures given by Ravi Zacharias' team last Saturday, and to my great joy, the topic of the 2nd presenter, Andy Bannister, was "C.S. Lewis and the New Athiests", following CSL's journey from religion to atheism to theism to Christianity. Loved it!
johobbit

Re: Keeping track of CSL events

Postby johobbit » Oct 16, 2013 7:59 am

This week on Haven Today, they are having a focus on C.S. Lewis, in honour of the 50th anniversary of his death this November, including interviews with Alister McGrath (a member of the RZIM team and a professor in England, who just released a new biography on Lewis) and Douglas Gresham.
The link to the broadcasts: http://www.haventoday.org/alister-mcgra ... s-239.html.
As well, here is a short video with Dr. McGrath: http://www.haventoday.org/video-intervi ... d-930.html.

Not sure what is forthcoming tomorrow and Friday, but I never tire of this subject, so am eager to listen in again.

Now, having not known the subject of CSL was on tap for this week on Haven Today, it was a very pleasant surprise when Charles Morris, HT's host, began Monday's broadcast by this teaser (quoting from memory, so this is not word-for-word):

"50 years ago, on November 22nd, 1963, the assassination of John F. Kennedy shocked the world. The same day, Adolph Huxley died. But, I am thinking of somone else who also passed away that day."
I wonder who ... ;)
johobbit

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Speaking of CSL commemoration events, there are two days of commemoration events going on at Westminster Abbey, in London, which you can see here at this link. A plaque will be unveiled and there will be a symposium and commemorative thanksgiving service on 21st - 22nd November to honour C.S.Lewis' Christian work.

Dr Michael Ward of Oxford University, who wrote "Planet Narnia", and "The Narnia code" will be one of the presenters, as well as some other authors, theologians and scholars.

Just thought you might like to know, even if it is a long stretch for most of us who do not live in UK, to go to Westminster Abbey for such an occasion. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Nov 19, 2013 12:49 pm

Very special, wagga!

On the Breakpoint commentaries this week, they are paying daily tributes to C.S. Lewis :D in honour of the 50th anniversary of his death.
johobbit

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 21, 2013 2:50 am

Thank you, johobbit. Though I am a bit fed up with some of the BBC style articles about C.S.Lewis. On the other hand, you might be interested in this Belfast celebration. Belfast, of course, was where C.S.Lewis was born, but has been famous since 1945 for rife sectarian and political violence. It is nice to see the people of Belfast enjoying together a nice breakfast, instead.

I've been trying to get the history editor of our own Daily Telegraph to write some sort of article about C.S Lewis and Aldous Huxley, who wrote Brave New World, by pointing out that the much commemorated JFK was not the only one who died 50 years ago, on 22/11/1963. But I will have to find out how successful I was tomorrow morning. ;) Our newspapers/television etc are full of JFK, which is fair enough, but I hope you don't mind that I think on the other side of the Pacific, we should commemorate C.S Lewis and his literary colleagues just as much.

My own personal way of celebrating C.S.Lewis is to try to finish a fanfic I have attempted. And, having read that Belfast article, I might have sardines on toast for either breakfast or dinner. Followed by a Turkish delight bar. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby johobbit » Nov 22, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks for that, wagga! Enjoy that Turkist Delight bar. ;)) I hope that fanfic comes along well. :)

Above, I mentioned Breakpoint's CSL commentaries for this week, but today's, almost predictably, is on the Narnian Chronicles. :D And it's a chill-bump-inducing few minutes as well. I'm sure each one of us here has our individual 'Narnia/CSL testimony'. We have a special topic on just that, and would love to hear your own Lewis story. And take a listen to the commentary when you have a chance (it's just under 4 minutes long), and recall again how Narnia has so beautifully influenced your life over the years. :ymdaydream:
johobbit

Postby johobbit » Nov 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Here is a short video of the honouring of C.S. Lewis in the Poets' Corner at Westminster Abbey. It was wonderful hearing Doug Gresham reading from the amazing last chapter of The Last Battle, and I won't say I didn't shed a few tears. Pity the video only played short clips of the ceremony, which were but a tease for more. I would love to see/hear the entirety. Maybe it's somewhere online: I have not checked yet. Also, I am curious who that elderly man is who helped lay the bouquet ... could it be a relation of one of the Inklings, I wonder? (I have put forth the question to the Marion E. Wade Center in Wheaton, IL.)
johobbit

Postby coracle » Nov 23, 2013 6:29 pm

http://jeanettesears.com/wp/?p=184#comment-3128

This blog came up on facebook - the woman was part of one of the events last week, and was present at the Memorial Service.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby stargazer » Nov 23, 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks for linking that video, jo. It was so nice hearing Mr. Gresham read from The Last Battle.

I also enjoyed reading that first-hand account, Auntie. Thanks for posting that link.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby coracle » Nov 24, 2013 12:54 am

johobbit wrote: I would love to see/hear the entirety. Maybe it's somewhere online: I have not checked yet. Also, I am curious who that elderly man is who helped lay the bouquet ... could it be a relation of one of the Inklings, I wonder?

I have a couple of possibilities - David Gresham? Walter Hooper? I will try to ask the lady whose link I posted above.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby johobbit » Nov 24, 2013 5:27 am

It was Walter Hooper! Now I can see it, but, wow, he has aged a lot since I last saw a photo. What a privilege for him to be able to participate in this meaningful ceremony.

Thanks so much for the link to Jeanette Sears' firsthand account. How amazing it would have been to attend! Standing-room only, apparently.
johobbit

Postby johobbit » Nov 01, 2014 11:29 am

A professor in the States is researching C.S. Lewis' influence, and is eager to collect personal testimonials. The following link is a survey that has been created to assist him: https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=Q6RBPL ... AiM1EM9OA#

An another note, we found out that a local elementary school is putting on The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as a play this December! :D Our neighbour's daughter was going to play Lucy, but for some reason there was a cast change, and she will now be ... the White Witch!
B-)
johobbit

Postby Lady Arwen » Nov 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Very cool, Jo! I'll definitely have to look at that survey. And how exciting for your neighbour's daughter!!

In another corner of the world, there is an upcoming C.S. Lewis Festival, which I am currently planning on attending. It looks like it is all sorts of fun, and I somewhat regret that I don't have any of my costume things with me. If anyone else is heading that way, do PM me! I'd love to meet up.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby johobbit » Dec 11, 2014 2:19 pm

Ooh, that sounds so interesting, Wren!

So, tonight we see the local school's production of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe here in town. \:D/ Here is the link to the school's website, which already has a few photos up. We have seen the set already and it looks amazing.
johobbit

Postby coracle » Dec 12, 2014 4:07 am

Thanks for the link. Hope you enjoyed it.

(Regarding Edmund's headgear, I have NO idea why people think that schoolboys in England wore a working man's Flat Cap - they didn't. School caps were a hemispherical version of the baseball cap, with a smaller peak.
I have seen this idea in several productions, and it's just wrong! With google to look on, there is no excuse (unlike a local school production about 13 years ago).

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Meltintalle » Dec 30, 2014 3:30 pm

The Great Divorce will be performed in several large cities across the US this spring.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel