This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What about Jill Pole?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: What about Jill Pole?

Postby Glumpuddle » Nov 09, 2013 9:00 am

A number of sites reporting the movie announcement say that Eustace is the main character. I'm a bit worried this will end up happening actually. The book, I think, is all about Jill learning to trust again. Just posted a video about my concerns:

fantasia_kitty wrote:Jill is my favorite character in the Chronicles.

Love Jill! Definitely one of my favorite characters. Of the seven friends of Narnia, I think it's a toss-up between her and Lucy as my favorite.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby fantasia » Nov 09, 2013 10:13 am

glumPuddle wrote:A number of sites reporting the movie announcement say that Eustace is the main character. I'm a bit worried this will end up happening actually.

Of the many things I'm worried about with this movie, this is somewhere near the bottom of the pile. I chock it up to people not having read the book and have no idea what they're talking about OR that they knew their readers would recognize Eustace from the VDT movie so they simply referenced him as a carry-over.
We live in a 'movies-must-have-a-kick-butt-female' age. I think it's more likely that Jill will be made too macho (ie Susan) and override Eustace, than be shoved into the background.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Glumpuddle » Nov 09, 2013 12:43 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:I chock it up to people not having read the book and have no idea what they're talking about OR that they knew their readers would recognize Eustace from the VDT movie so they simply referenced him as a carry-over.

Well yeah. :p But it is something I have been worried about for quite a while. I can see the filmmakers wanting to focus more on a familiar character. Or maybe not really having a single clearly-defined main character like the first three films.

I think this is one of my top concerns: Will Jill Pole be the focus of the movie?
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Reepicheep775 » Nov 09, 2013 2:35 pm

I agree that Jill Pole is the main character in SC. Eustace's journey happened in VDT, but SC is Jill's journey, Eustace being more in the background.

I would also be upset if the film-makers made Jill "kick-butt". In the book, Jill is insecure and turning her into a "warrior princess" would not be good. That said, I actually wouldn't mind if Jill fights in the battle against in the Lady of the Green Kirtle in serpent form (in the book, Jill is watching, trying not to "faint - or blub - or do anything idiotic"), simply because of its placement in the story. At that point (near the end of the book), Jill should be more confident than she had been earlier in the story and it could be a good character moment if done well. I'm not saying I want them to do this, but I wouldn't mind if they did.

*goes to watch glumPuddle's video*
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Nov 13, 2013 12:18 pm

I agree that Jill Pole is and should be the main protagonist and also what Reepicheep775 said.

I know Andrew Adamson when he was directing these movies he really wanted to put Susan to use of the gifts that Father Christmas gave her. Susan never really fought in the books however in the films she's all over the place like a male Legolas, it took a while for me to see the point of that and I agreed that since she was given them she should put them to use.

But with Jill Pole I agree to not make her "Kick-butt" until The Last Battle in my opinion however I am wanting to see a character change in her towards the end of the movie but not fighting like Susan.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » Nov 14, 2013 2:47 am

This is a story about both children, and although we see it more through Jill's eyes, the film must show their improving interaction and growing respect and friendship.
Since we have already got to know Eustace in VDT, and have seen his major development, we will expect to see more about Jill and her learning experiences in SC, but this doesn't make the book about her, and it would be a mistake to make the film focus on her.

The last section of the book, with the four friends escaping together, is going to make a strong part of the film.
Perhaps we can say that the filming starts in a small space where Jill is hiding and crying, and opens out to show a larger and larger view.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Who should play Jill Pole

Postby jewel » Mar 21, 2014 6:59 am

The Silver Chair will hopefully be coming within the next 4 years. I've heard about auditions for an actress to Jill. Any good ideas for a recommendation, even if it's yourself? :D
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Who should play Jill Pole

Postby King_Erlian » Mar 21, 2014 8:14 am

Caitlin Blackwood, who played the young Amelia Pond in "Doctor Who". I think she's about 11 or 12 now.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepi » Mar 30, 2014 4:05 am

If they are going with Will Poulter again (which I hope, since recasting a character from one movie to the next is a bad idea - and Poulter is a brilliant actor), then they might want to go with an actress which is similar to his height. Given that Poulter has grown considerably in the last few years, how about a female lead who is also a little older?

Emma Watson, anyone?
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby King_Erlian » Mar 31, 2014 2:08 am

If you cast Will Poulter and Emma Watson, you'd have to change the story quite a bit - there's no way that they can pass for schoolchildren now. University students, maybe. ;)
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby You Will Find Me Bigger » Apr 01, 2014 8:41 pm

I agree... they are adults now and would look ridiculous as school children. Besides, I'm quite sure Ms. Watson has no desire to return to a school girl role... she's had enough of a mountain to climb not to be typecast, and to get adult roles!
You can call me Willow if you want to.
You Will Find Me Bigger
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby PhelanVelvel » Apr 13, 2014 10:05 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:We live in a 'movies-must-have-a-kick-butt-female' age. I think it's more likely that Jill will be made too macho (ie Susan) and override Eustace, than be shoved into the background.

Too macho?! I thought she was very delicate and lady-like even whilst she was fighting, lol. :P What can I say, I like my heroines kicking butt!
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby jewel » May 07, 2014 11:50 am

Phelan Velvel, I like Jill Pole pretty good to.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PhelanVelvel » May 07, 2014 7:33 pm

jewel wrote:Phelan Velvel, I like Jill Pole pretty good to.

Yup, I can't wait to see how they portray her in the film! I always thought it was so cool how she calms the horses, then rides Snowflake while the Prince rides Coalblack. I'm sure that will make for some cinematic shots.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 02, 2014 12:17 pm

It's really hard to say who would be a good actress for Jill Pole, especially since kids grow up so fast and we're not exactly sure when they'll start filming.

I've always thought that the girl who played Jill in the BBC version of The Silver Chair looked the part quite well, so I'd be fine with someone who resembles her. Since Lucy and Susan are already brunettes and Polly will probably end up being blonde, if they go the same route as the illustrations, then maybe they should have Jill be a redhead. (It would match her feisty attitude!)

More than anything, though, I want an actress who is able to bring the character to life. Jill has an amazing character arc in The Silver Chair, and the role needs to be given to someone who is extremely gifted. I'm hoping for a girl who is largely unknown, but very, very talented.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Anfinwen » Dec 26, 2016 5:30 pm

So, with the news that SC will likely be moving into pre-production in early 2017, I think we can hunt for actress in earnest! It has already been mentioned that Jill is the main character, and I am excited to see who they will pick to play her. I searched for young British actresses, but the two I liked the most have already been suggested.
ChristProclamer wrote:I thought the other day of Isabelle Allen. She played young Cossette in Les Miserables, and she is genuinely British, which is important to me.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4961623/?ref_=rvi_nm
Isabelle will be 14 in March, but she looks really young. I feel like she needs bangs.

King_Erlian wrote:Caitlin Blackwood, who played the young Amelia Pond in "Doctor Who". I think she's about 11 or 12 now.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3761542/?ref_=rvi_nm
Caitlin will be 16 in June. She has a sweet sensitive look that I really feel could work for Jill.
I'm not familiar with the abilities of either actress, so this is based on appearance, age and nationality.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext