This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Someone wise once wrote:Measure Twice, Cut Once.

This is the thread to discuss all your sewing, knitting, crocheting, embroidery and other needlework projects! :) The previous thread on the subject can be found here.

I've had a few personal projects this year, which is far more than usual. ;))

The first one was a beret for one of my sisters, who was in a play of Jane Austen's Emma back in May. Since she was playing the always fashionable Mrs. Elton, my mom and I were looking up some costume ideas and ran across this gorgeous beret (mine is nowhere near as pretty, so please don't judge too harshly! ;))) There was absolutely no way we were going to be able to get one, but it inspired me to look into making a beret. It turned out to be pretty straightforward---merely a circle of fabric and a band. I made my own 18" circle pattern using a tape measure and some Christmas wrapping paper (...yes, I believe in improvising) and then measured my head and added a few inches (...I also apparently believe in working on projects for people while they are out of town) for the band. I gathered the circle to fit the band and then stitched it all up by hand.

One picture of the beret

The material is just a light brown cotton with white dots on it. It's really pretty and looks delicate, but it kind of gets washed out from far away.

Another picture of the beret

That was actually supposed to be just a rough mock-up but I tidied it up a little once I realised a) it looked pretty good and b) I wasn't going to have time to make another. ;)) I think I'd like to make another fancier one sometime, but we'll see. :)

(Oh, and, somewhat surprisingly, she did wear it for the play---the ball scene---with a feather headband over the band and it worked fine. :) I don't really have any good pictures of her wearing it, though.)

The next project was a pillowcase I made with a friend. I found this lovely dragon patterned fabric (no good pictures, I'm sorry!) and we knew we had to use it for something. So, voila, pillowcases. ;))

The pillowcase

It was my first time doing a french seam, and I actually didn't sew quite far enough over and some of the material stuck through the seam. :ymblushing: I trimmed as much off as I could, though, and it's not terribly noticeable.

I'm also currently in the process of unraveling an old scarf (which was way too wide and short to really be a good scarf) and knitting a new one. It's about half the width it was before (and, actually, a little narrow now :ymblushing: But it's pretty thick, so it should be okay) and about a foot long now. The yarn is a feathery black strand with another multi-coloured "nobby" strand. I think it'll be pretty forgiving, which is good since I have no idea of gauge or consistency there, though I'm pretty sure the scarf is already narrowing down. ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Re: The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Aug 16, 2012 5:36 pm

I sort of sew. aka, I don't like using a pattern, but I *can* sew. I really mostly just buy clothing and then alter it to fit me, or change it...I've become a master at the "well, this is a really unprofessional way to fix this, but it WILL turn out alright in the end"...also the "dramatic sobbing over sewing project = beautiful result" scene. ;))

Does anyone here quilt? I've been thinking about making a quilt this fall...just the basic, lots of squares sewn together, but very colorful and warm...
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby SnowAngel » Aug 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Valiant_Lucy wrote:Does anyone here quilt? I've been thinking about making a quilt this fall...just the basic, lots of squares sewn together, but very colorful and warm...
I love quilting. I'm not much of a seamstress, I am pretty good at quilting though. Sounds fun! I just finished a twin-size quilt yesterday. I hope to take some pictures of it tomorrow. It's a nine patch with really bright colors.

These are pictures of one of my quilts: http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... /Quilting/ . It's a throw quilt and I used the Pick-A-Patch pattern.

Oops, the phone is ringing. Got a run.
SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Val wrote:I really mostly just buy clothing and then alter it to fit me, or change it...I've become a master at the "well, this is a really unprofessional way to fix this, but it WILL turn out alright in the end"...also the "dramatic sobbing over sewing project = beautiful result" scene. ;))
That's neat, Val! I wish I could do that. ;)) Do you mainly do fitting alterations, or do you do a fair amount of style alterations as well?

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your quilt, SnowAngel---it's really nice. :) What exactly is the Pick-A-Patch pattern, though?
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Aug 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Valia wrote:That's neat, Val! I wish I could do that. ;)) Do you mainly do fitting alterations, or do you do a fair amount of style alterations as well?

A bit of both...everything from new darts, to making something bigger, to making something smaller, to changing the straps on a dress, or the hemline, or taking off sleeves, or even changing the shape of the neckline. It doesn't always turn out, but I've had a few pretty good successes! Ordering stuff online usually means they'll need at least a small alteration, and I'm the worst at buying stuff at thrift stores that "almost" works and then fixing them...
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Lady Haleth » Aug 17, 2012 5:24 am

I sew a lot, though I tend to do more quilts than anything else--mostly wall hangings. I've done two full-size quilts, one in a pattern called Flying Dutchman, and one crazy quilt that took fourteen months to do. I'm working on another full-sized quilt right now, but its taking a long time because my sewing machine inexplicably died, and I did a bunch of seams wrong, so I'm having to redo over eight feet of hand stitching.
I'm also doing a little embroidered pillow for a local fair. I've done a few clothes. A vest for horse shows (that I wore about once), a blouse, and a skirt. As well as a few stuffed bears for a local charity. But it would be a lot easier if I had a functional machine.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslanisthebest » Aug 17, 2012 7:13 am

*squeals* I found my new favourite thread!!

My mom taught me how to knit when I was about 6/7, and I've loved it ever since. My first project was a lopsided yellow scarf, and I've enjoyed going on from then. I am a bit novice, and I'm looking to improve my skills by working on cables and entrelac. (My sister is wonderful at entrelac.) I'll try and get some pictures later this afternoon. :D

Learning how to crochet was so difficult. I have several swatches of my first tries which were all lopsided. ;)) With the help of my mom and sister, I somehow learnt. I was a bit afraid of crocheting, though, and kind of never did it. One Thanksgiving, I think it was 2008, I made my first round amigurumi toy. It was a little frog. I was really excited. :P Then the Christmas after that, I made one amigurumi all on my own. Now I can't stop. Once again, I will get some pictures later this afternoon.

Sewing is my trial. My last project was a case for carrying chopsticks around. It turned out pretty good, except for the fact I hemmed it /after/ I sewed the thing into a tube, and had a hard time putting on the clip. ;))
My mom was going to teach us dressmaking, but things got a bit busy. My mom sews all the fabric on my knitting projects. I've picked up some things here and there, but I'd really like to get better.

I love cross-stitching. I haven't done much of it, but once I start, I find it really hard to stop. I do counted most of the time, but I like improvising sometimes.
My dad taught my mom how to cross-stitch ;)) so we enjoy cross-stitching all around in my family. On sewing, my dad actually helped fix my doll's dress when the sleeve hem got loose. :P

Valia, the beret is lovely and the pillowcase is beautiful!!
Val wrote:everything from new darts, to making something bigger, to making something smaller, to changing the straps on a dress, or the hemline, or taking off sleeves, or even changing the shape of the neckline.
Wow, that is so neat!

SnowAngel, your quilts are so lovely! I'd love to learn how to quilt someday... it is such a lovely aspect of needlework. Maybe someday! Is it possible to hand-sew quilts, or would it take too long?
Wow, your needlework endeavours sound very neat, Lady Haleth!
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 17, 2012 11:01 am

*thumbs up for Valia's projects* I'd say the knitting gets better/easier with practice, but I was picking up a dropped stitch in my sweater-in-progress last night and there were differing amounts of yarn where there ought to have been about the same three stitches worth...

That's a really cool talent, Val. It's one I wish I had, but I don't. :)

What a lovely quilt, SnowAngel! I like how vibrant and cheerful the colors are. :D

Awwww, Lady Haleth. That must be discouraging to have to rip out so much work!

Bella, I hope you can post pictures soon. :)

My current embroidery project It's supposed to be an 18th century style pocket, decorated with a sort-of-inspired-by-Rohan design

Owl hotpad and matching pothat Crocheted. I sort of made the pattern up as I went along...

Swatch for my sweater I'm 2/3rds done with the back now, so I should probably take another picture... you can see the pattern I'm using under my yarn.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby starkat » Aug 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Crochet question...

I have a project that I am working on. It's zigzag, double crochet stitches. I want to put a border on this. I've tried roughly 3 dc per every 2 dc down the long side, but it's a wee bit short. The project is not laying down correctly. Should I be doing 4 or should I do more?
starkat

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Nice, Val! :) *is still in awe/jealous of altering abilities* ;))

Lady Haleth, I completely sympathise about the nonfunctional sewing machine. My mom's machine has some sort of tension issue that I haven't been able to figure out, so it's out of commission. I do have my grandmother's old machine, but it's a bit...touchy. The light only turns off when you unplug the machine, you can't reverse it, and it loosens the tension when I use the pedal. ;))
All your sewing projects sound neat! :) Do you have pictures of any of them?

;)) I'm glad you're happy to see the thread, Bella!
You're really talented, you know that? ;)) Actually, your entire family sounds talented!
A chopstick carrying case? Sounds neat! :D Do you happen to have a picture or pattern description? ;))
Thank you! :)

;)) Thanks for the encouragement, Mel!
I think I've probably discussed the projects before, but you have some really neat ones. ;)) The pocket is looking gorgeous---have you done any more on it recently? That owl set is still really cute. :D
Glad to hear you're making such good progress on the sweater! Will you have any more pictures for us soon? ;;)

I'm afraid I have no clue, Kat. ;))

My scarf is about a yard long now. ;)) I'm guessing it'll gain another foot before I run out of yarn, but we'll see. :) I measured it and it's about 2" wide, though it looks a lot skinnier to me. :P
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby shastastwin » Aug 18, 2012 7:50 am

I think I'll risk this thread, even though I seem to be the only male interested in it so far.

I've been crocheting off and on since I was about seven or eight. My great grandmother taught me how on one of her visits. For years I did nothing but make bookmarks and potholders this way (though none as amazing as Mel's owl potholder). Eventually I graduated to scarves and hats in college, usually making them as Christmas presents. The largest things I have made crocheting are my cloak and a couple of lap blankets that were essentially gigantic granny squares. ;))

Around middle school I picked up cross-stitching and for a while that was my thing. I made Christmas presents for several years running this way. I still have all of my materials, but I haven't done anything with it in several years.

Most recently I have picked up knitting and it has become my favorite needle craft. I tend to just make simple hats and scarves, but I have tried earflap hats and socks before (the socks got frogged and I need to remake the hat ;)) ). Currently I have a Pippin-style scarf on my needles here and I am planning on making a replica of Tom Baker's Doctor Who scarf this semester.

SnowAngel, that's a great quilt. My wife and I wish we could quilt.

Mel, I know you said you just made the pattern up as you went for that potholder, but if you can figure it out, would you mind sending it to me? ;)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby wolfloversk » Aug 18, 2012 12:06 pm

How ironic this thread opened up after I finished my first weaving project in years. I was bored, so I looked on the internet and found instructions on how to weave using a cardboard loom- which reminded me of a similar project we did way back when I was in elementary school. So I broke out the yarn we had (red's the only color here) and tore up an old Cheerios box. The result is only about the size of my hand, a little smaller actually (and I have small hands) but I've been contemplating making a loom big enough for a red scarf (Ie. semi-Tumnus inspired) ;)

Sorry for the poor webcam quality...

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz24 ... 145203.jpg
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby starkat » Aug 18, 2012 6:42 pm

I did end up taking apart the border and redoing it. I'm about 1/3 - 1/2 way through to where I was before. It's not perfect, but it's better than before. I think it'll lay out much better this way.
starkat

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Glad to have you stop by, stwin. :D I was wondering if you would. ;))
Cool! How hard was that cloak to crochet? I'm kind of surprised none of my friends thought of doing that when the LotR films were coming out---instead they just sewed up some simple ones. ;))
How long have you been working on the Pippin scarf? It sounds like a really neat project. :) You already know I like the idea of the Doctor Who scarf. ;))

That's cool, wolfloversk! :D I've only ever done a little weaving, but I really enjoyed it. Any ideas on how you'd make a loom big enough for a scarf yet? ;))

Glad to hear you've gotten the border figured out, Kat. :)

I finished my scarf today! It's four-and-a-half feet long, and is definitely wider at the starting end. :ymblushing:
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby shastastwin » Aug 19, 2012 5:20 am

ValiantArcher wrote:Glad to have you stop by, stwin. I was wondering if you would.
Cool! How hard was that cloak to crochet? I'm kind of surprised none of my friends thought of doing that when the LotR films were coming out---instead they just sewed up some simple ones.
How long have you been working on the Pippin scarf? It sounds like a really neat project. You already know I like the idea of the Doctor Who scarf.

The cloak took me a couple of months working on and off. After the first foot or so it became unwieldy and so I had to work on it in my dorm instead of carrying it with me everywhere like I tend to do with my projects. I also had to buy the pattern for that one because I wasn't sure I could figure one out on my own.

The Pippin scarf has been going since some time in 2009 or 2010. ;)) Because the pattern is 8 distinct rows it takes a lot more concentration than most of my projects and so it has progressed very slowly. Lately what will happen is I will pick it up and do one 8-row section once very few weeks. It's going to be a while getting finished. Still, it was the only Lord of the Rings-inspired project I could find that I was up to making at the time.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby wolfloversk » Aug 19, 2012 9:05 am

ValiantArcher wrote:That's cool, wolfloversk! :D I've only ever done a little weaving, but I really enjoyed it. Any ideas on how you'd make a loom big enough for a scarf yet? ;))

One of two things: either a very large piece of cardboard (which my dad could get for me) or use tacks on a wall. I might end up using my whiteboard for that, since I'm going to school next week, and they don't really approve of us poking holes in their walls ;))

If I have to wait till next winter, I might work on something smaller, perhaps a towel or a bookmark. I've also been in need of a new friendship anklet since my old one bit the dust :P

stwin, that cloak is awesome!
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Next