This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Susan's Horn...

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Susan's Horn...

Postby Mintey » Aug 31, 2011 3:48 pm

Hello all! Just stopping by for two reasons - one, I want opinions, and two, to share some stuff with you lot! Recently I decided that I would like to be Susan Pevensie for Halloween... or so my mum thinks - I just want to make Narnia props ^.^ Anyway. A few matters, really:

1. I wanted an opinion: I have an option to either make the green archery dress myself, or my grandmother offered to make the coronation gown. Opinions? (Keep in mind that I would be carrying the horn and quiver - I'm not so sure it would go with the coronation gown).

2. I was wondering - is anyone adept with crochet? I know how to, but my question is: I'm attempting to make a half-circle cloak, and I'm not sure how to do so. Someone online suggested to chain 1 and 1/2 the circumference (well, the half circumference, since it's half circle), crochet normally a second row, and then on the third, skip every 3rd stitch. From then on continue normally - my concern is, will this work? I'm worried that it won't...

3. Since Noble Collection no longer makes the horn, I made one myself out of Sculpey and wire. (http://www.deviantart.com/download/254290742/susan__s_horn_by_minteey-d47ebzq.png)

I made it by:
~ First, I made little ringlets out of the wire, then filled the inside with the clay. I connected them all, and baked it, so I could do the outside.
~ After it cooled, I did the outside and the designs - you need to be patient (it took me 3 days for this step alone!) Then, bake it again.
~ I then put on the clasp skeletons and the mouthpiece skeletons, and baked that.
~ Then, I made the designs on the clasps and on the mouthpiece and baked it for a final time.

The reason I baked it so many times was so that (1) it was sturdy to work with, (2) if I had made fancy clasps/mouthpieces, they likely would have fallen off when I tried to wear it. As a matter of fact, I tried a skeleton to make sure it was sturdy, and it fell off - I had to sand off the clay, and start again!

~ Paint it - I used an ivory/white paint mix, gold paint marker, shimmer-gold paint (to touch up the underside of the clasps) and for the mouthpiece, which is not seen here, I mixed white, blue and purple (very little, though) and instead of fully mixing, I made them somewhat marbled, so you get a pearly effect.

~ The designs are all hand made and carved in except for the teeth and eyes, which I added little lumps of clay for (the eyeball was carved in, though). I used some sort of clay tool - though only one. I suppose you could also use a blunt knife, since that was more or less what I did.
~ The little stitch pattern was a little complicated. First, I made a block of clay, and carved in the design (make sure it's the opposite - you want a hole for the little block part, and a hole for the lining). Bake it, and imprint it on the clay - it makes the block part out and the lining out. Just be careful that the lining is in line all around, or it looks bad.

That's about all I have to say - any questions, feel free to ask. The horn makes some sound, and after experimenting I find that instead of trying to play it as you would a trumpet, you should just mimic the movie's sound and the hollow of the horn will magnify it.

Also, I'm off to go make Susan's Bow and Arrows, I'll have some tips on those shortly.

~Mintey
Mintey
NarniaWeb Newbie

Re: Susan's Horn...

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 01, 2011 4:24 am

Re: the crochet - my understanding is that you're crocheting from the hem up?

For what it's worth, I would change that to crocheting from the neck down and adjust your stitching as necessary to make it sit nicely/flow from your shoulders. :)

The horn looks amazing, as I said on dA. :D
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Mintey » Sep 01, 2011 5:42 am

Yes - from the hem up - but I'm not sure how I would make it circular if I were to start from the neckline. Whenever I've experimented with adding a stitch or two per row, it comes out strange.

Thanks ^.^
Mintey
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 02, 2011 2:02 pm

If you're crocheting a circle you want to add two or three per stitch for the first few rounds. Do you have access to any patterns? Reading the pattern for a doily with a solid center could be a place to start.

I've already put in a bit of thought to crocheting a cloak, but my plan calls for (surprise!) top down construction. I haven't wrapped my brain around bottom up yet. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Mintey » Sep 02, 2011 3:31 pm

I don't understand patterns - they confuse me :P

Cloaks are fun - my grandma crocheted me a few blankets and I always wrap them around me and pretend I'm some evil overlord ^.^ But, they're very time-consuming...
Mintey
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Trinity » Sep 05, 2011 7:43 am

The horn looks fantastic! Great job! :ymapplause:

Have you decided on the gown yet? I've made the green archery dress for my daughter and it's very simple to make. Looking at the coronation gown, it also looks simple (I think I already have that pattern) but it's a much more formal look. I prefer the coronation gown but that's just because I love the colours & textures and the formality of it. But since you've already made the horn, perhaps the green dress would suit it better. Are you going to make the bow & arrows too?

~Trinity
Trinity
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Mintey » Sep 05, 2011 5:50 pm

Trinity: Thank you! I've decided to have the tailor make the green dress, and attempt the coronation one myself. I have the pattern, it's from McGall's (or however you spell it) and I just need to find some crushed velvet. The stores by me don't seem to sell it; I may need to order it online.

It's interesting you say that - about the horn - because I was thinking, it may be a nice contrast to have the coronation gown and her Christmas gifts, because it would combine her Queen element and her warrior element.

Yes, I am going to make the bow and arrows, and the quiver! I'm really excited because I was at AC Moore's yesterday, and I found some Sculpey Extra Light, so I can now make the quiver out of clay, and not have to lug a 20lb monster around :D I have some dowel rods that I'll be making arrows out of, when I get around to it. And, as for the bow, I'm trying to use a branch from one of my trees to shape into Susan's bow (I want to make a functional replica - it's not that functionality is a problem, nor is designing a Susan's bow, it's the putting the two together.) Anyway, I started with a fairly thick branch and am still thinning the bow limbs down, so it might take a while. But I'll update when I'm done.

~Mintey
Mintey
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Trinity » Sep 07, 2011 9:46 am

GL with your dress. I would think that crushed velvet is a staple in every fabric store? It's always that one fabric you need that they don't have. lol I've been looking for grey leather but my store has every color but grey! Show us your progress on the dress. I'm sure it will be great!

I don't have much experience with Sculpey. Does it air dry or do you have to fire it? I've been looking for a material to do the White Witch's battle crown out of. I was going to use a thin metal base and covering it with sculpey might just be the way to go.

As for the bow, if you soak the branch in water, maybe it will be easier to bend? Although, that's probably the completely wrong way to make a real bow. lol I look forward to seeing your replicas.

~Trinity
Trinity
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby RoseRed » Dec 28, 2011 3:28 am

Wow! :-o that horn is brilliant! I made a susan horn a few years ago, but I used wood and burnt out the patterns, so mine was not as authentic as yours is. My vote would be for the green archery dres, becuase as much as the corination gown is my favourite I think you'll find more opportunity's to wear the archery gown, plus it's more recognisable :)
Grief for the movies made me abandon narniaweb...but I'm so glad to be back!
Many thanks to the wonderful Lady Eowyn for making my sig/av.
RoseRed
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Mintey » Jul 30, 2012 5:10 pm

RoseRed, sorry for the [extremely] late reply! I've been busy with school and everything. Is this your horn by any chance? http://www.carrhunger.com/chronicles/hornclose.jpg I saw it when I was squirreling up information for my horn XD

I ended up making the coronation gown, and a blue/silver cape, because I was at a loss for crocheting the gray cape. Well, I rather made the base for the coronation gown - it's a light blue crushed velvet with a slightly darker silken material for the arms and neck part. I sewed some gold trim on the neckline but haven't done much else to it. I'm starting to work on that now.

What ended up happening was I was unable to finish my entire costume in time for Halloween due to school, so I wore the dress and cape, and carried the horn but nothing else. The cape came in handy, since it snowed for us that day! The bottom of my dress got all muddy [womp...] so I need to spot clean it now. It's also missing two buttons, has a tear under the left arm, and the back lace-up is coming off. Yeah, repairs needed :-s

I'm more up-to-date with my dA account: minteey.deviantart.com so you can check project updates there.
Mintey
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Wow, Mintey, that horn is gorgeous. o.o I poked around your DeviantART--the bow looks like it's coming along nicely, too! Would you happen to have pictures of the coronation gown somewhere? I'd love to see it. ;)
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Wow... :-o That horn is stunning. It looks just like the one in the movie. I would have thought it was the actual prop. So detailed and beautiful...

Amazing job! :-bd

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Mintey » Jul 31, 2012 8:53 am

Narnian_Badger: thank you! I don't know if I posted the story of the bow so here it is: I've yet to successfully find a way to make the horn tips of the bow, and my latest theory is to make it with oven-bake sculpey and hold the tip of the bow in the oven. I've yet to try that, though; it's been too hot out for oven baking recently. I also have been holding off on the hand-grip because I only have one suitable piece of leather and I don't want to waste it on a prototype. The reason the real bow hasn't been made was I was hoping to find some hickory wood and no lumber stores seem to sell it by me :(

Ithilwen: Thank you! That's a huge compliment! It makes me feel warm and tingly when people say that because I'd gotten soooo frustrated making it that I think I went insane for 3 days (I worked nonstop - bad bad bad idea). Same way with the quiver. I've been doing the designs and had to restart 3 times so far. *grumbles at sculpey for not being cooperative*
Mintey
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Adeona » Jul 31, 2012 6:53 pm

Wow - that is lovely! Despite the missing buttons. ;) I like how it's a slightly more "Grown-up" version, but still extrememly recognizable. The sleeves are gorgeous.

The horn and quiver (I saw it on your dA) are great as well. Nice job on such ambitious projects! Very brave of you. :) Are you planning to make Susan's vambrace as well? (the leather and ivory piece to protect the archer's arm) That might be something pretty just to wear around town, actually! I should look into making one myself...
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 31, 2012 8:52 pm

Oh, that's lovely, Mintey! :D Great job, though it's too bad about the buttons... and the stitching. XD I didn't noticed it, though. Looking forward to some more pictures/angles. ;)
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Mintey » Aug 01, 2012 9:28 am

Adeona: Thank you! Just curious, because I didn't intend it, but why do you say it looks more grown-up? And thank you! I've yet to put the little designs on the sleeves.

Brave might not be the word... maybe crazy? It's driving me mad ;) And, as for the vambrace, I'm not sure. If I have time, perhaps I'll attempt it. The hard part to that would be that I couldn't use regular clay on the designs since at times it's flat and others it's wrapped around an arm... hmm, I like the challenge. Perhaps I will! Thanks for the suggestion!

Narnian_Badger: Thank you too! *blushes* Yeah, buttons aren't that hard to replace, and I just need to stitch up the holes - minor damage :) And yup, working on finding those photos! Now I wish I kept things more organized XD
Mintey
NarniaWeb Newbie