This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ditto Town Library

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Re: Ditto Town Library

Postby stargazer » Jul 21, 2012 11:22 am

Your show information is correct, shastastwin! Nicely done.

If I may add a couple notes about the Ditto Story use of gargoyles...

The other North American clans I've mentioned (like Grand Tetons or North Cascades) are ones I've created in my own writing (as opposed to those on the original show). So while it hasn't been 'officially' established that the London Clan has connections with them, it's certainly reasonable. However, due to the difficulties in getting across the pond (gargoyles can't just buy a ticket and catch the next transatlantic flight ;) ) those connections are probably electronic, via videophones or the like.

But it's safe to say the London Clan would know of their Tetons counterparts if you want to write that.

Also note that Erik and Abby really aren't typical of their kind. Most gargoyles tend to be rather reclusive since they're so vulnerable in stone sleep. But their experiences in the Ditto World have allowed them to open up and be a lot more sociable. The London gargoyles would probably be receptive to meeting Varna (meeting an elf would no doubt fascinate them); they just might not be quite as open about it as Erik and Abby would be.

(If this is confusing, please ask questions here or by PM). [/ramble]
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Thank you both for your information!

I now think my first London segment won't need gargoyles - I'll probably PM you for further relevant information for later segments, stargazer ... ;)

I should be able to make a new version of the first segment soon.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby shastastwin » Jul 25, 2012 2:04 pm

On the way back from helping some friends move this weekend, I passed by a sign that said, "Ditto Landing" and one a mile later for "Ditto Marina." Yes, these are real places. ;)) I was wondering: have we ever mentioned a Ditto Marina in the story? If not, expect it to premiere soon. ;)
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Silvan_Haven » Jul 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Not from the parts that I have seen. Although it makes sense for Dittotopia to have one.
"The road the hell is paved with good intentions.

Heh,

So is the read to Heaven."
Silvan_Haven
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Ryadian » Jul 25, 2012 10:38 pm

I've actually had the Internet back for a few days now, but I've been so distracted that I haven't had a chance to come back and say so. :P Anyways, I'm back now; I have two segments in the works with collaborators, and another that I'm still working on. :) (At least I'm caught up on the story! ;) )

I just wanted to say a couple things before I disappear back into getting caught up in writing ( :P ): first of all, just in case anyone's confused, the EMP Masked Rider referred to in his last post was before the interdimensional snafu, as Silvan_Haven called it. ;)) This is part of an arc he's been writing for a little while. (This was the brother I've mentioned earlier in the Library. ;) ) So, don't worry; we don't have to deal with an EMP at the same time.

Secondly, when I come back to posting segments, I've come up with my own "code" for the different universes. :P The actual names I'm using are, for the most part, inside jokes; I think they make some amount of sense, but they don't actually play into any overarching plots I have. :P Anyways, here they are:

Good = Prime
Chaos = Strange
Order = Fate
Evil = Scream
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 27, 2012 8:07 pm

And my first London segment is finally up.
No gargoyles. But there might be some later. ;)
Varnafinde

Postby JillPole » Jul 28, 2012 12:56 pm

My goodness! Ara wasn't kidding about the hopping tempo around here! 'Gazer, you nearly gave me a heart attack- I thought you'd pulled a double Whedon on Erik and Abby! I was thankful to discover this wasn't exactly the case. Colour me impressed with what you've all been up to!

I've been working on other projects for awhile now, hence my total departure from Dittopia, but I've been feeling the need to write more consistently, in whatever project appeals to me, just to keep my skills up. So you may see something from me, although I don't think I have the energy to keep up with more than one timeline, ha! I will at least keep reading along.

ST, Ditto Town has a river, but not a lake or ocean. A marina's not out of the question, but the size of boats might be limited. ;)

Also, Varna, imagining what would happen if your segment were true was SUPER WEIRD. This is a compliment! :D
JillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 28, 2012 3:40 pm

JillPole wrote:Also, Varna, imagining what would happen if your segment were true was SUPER WEIRD. This is a compliment! :D

Thank you! :)

I try to describe London as I remember it. I was studying in England thirty years ago, and travelled through London a lot then, and I've been back quite a few times since, to visit uni friends.

I've bought books in the second-hand bookshops in Charing Cross Road.
I've been to Westminster Abbey at a time when the Stone of Destiny was still on display in the Coronation Chair ...

I've also read No Stone Unturned in Readers' Digest, and I might look at Amazon for a copy of the reprint with a new name that was published a few years ago.

I decided to mention here (Edit: I'll now put them in spoilers) the main discrepancies from the Prime universe / real world to my "green universe" (where Erik and Abby have a son, btw ;) ).

- Queen Elizabeth is not likely to choose to retire.
- Prince Charles has said that he wants to rule as King George VII.

(The details of the coronation ceremony, though, should be as expected - I checked with the details from the 1953 coronation.
And Charles I was really executed.
)

The identity of Charles III's Queen
shows that this universe comes with a different past as well, not just with a recent universe split - or perhaps somehow the split changed even the past? :-o
Varnafinde

Postby stargazer » Jul 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Great to see you back, JillPole! Sorry about that 'double Whedon' - it was done on impulse, intended to be a one-off - but some of our wonderful writers ran with it, and it's been a lot of fun since then. Hope you have a chance to join us. :)

I loved your segment, Varna! It really felt like she was in London. And the surprises in your green section really caught me off guard. Well-done!

Trivia note: the Stone of Destiny appears in a couple of the original Gargoyles episodes, both in 10th/11th-century coronation flashbacks and once in modern-day London (when it was still in the Abbey). It even speaks in the latter episode; I didn't realize until I read your segment that this is part of its mythology.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Aravanna » Aug 02, 2012 8:59 am

Hey everyone, just want to let you know that I'm doing a fairly inclusive internet fast through August (, but since I don't want the story to grind to a halt and I'm collaborating this several of you, I'll try to check in once a week to catch up on the story and PMs. But don't expect to see me very often. :p
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Varnafinde » Aug 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Great segments, stargazer!

And in a different universe, you withdrew your one-off joke on 2nd April, and nothing of all this was ever written :-o
Varnafinde

Postby stargazer » Aug 14, 2012 10:04 am

Touche, Varnafinde, touche. ;) :)

Glad you liked my segments. I have to admit I've enjoyed this multiple universe stuff more than I expected when I first started writing it. I'm beginning to get ideas on how to spice up this year's NaNo story. :)
stargazer

Postby Ryadian » Aug 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Okay, I finally just posted my segment. :P I was going to post it along with another segment, but now all my other ones are waiting on collaborators. :P Anyways, to be honest... I have nothing specific that Ryana's going to do when she gets there, so I'm thinking we can just timeskip to after they've gotten to the Mansion and sorted things out. ;) (And yes, I forgot about Shadow as much as Ryana did. :ymblushing: Hopefully, he didn't tear anything up while he was confused. ;) )

Wow, so much has been happening lately! :P :) To start with... Welcome back, JP! :D :) I've missed having your characters around here. :) Sorry about the nasty surprise when you got back. ;) (It's still stargazer's fault, though, 'cuz he started it. ;) )

Varna, really interesting segments! :) It's really interesting to see how this split has affected our real world, too. :D Makes me wonder, though, which one's which. ;) And, at the moment, I think the assumption (at least, what I understand :P ) is that these alternate realities basically are completely parallel--so all of their histories are distinct from each other. That does, of course, raise some questions on its own.... ;) (Also, your last post here made me laugh. :P ;)) )

stargazer--man, you're being so mean to poor Abby in that universe. :P :( (I suppose, y'know, she could've been dead, instead.... :( )
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby starkat » Aug 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Ok... I finally figured out why on earth I've been having so much trouble making myself sit down and read so I can catch up...

I've been reading crime/cop/military drama books. :"> I've not touched a fantasy novel in months. That has since been corrected. I'm off to the ditto story thread to catch up. That's my goal by Wednesday of next week.

If not, I may go ahead and consider letting someone slap me upside the head with a wet noodle until I do get caught up. ;) Once again, my apologies. *goes to open a pm draft so she can make notes to keep herself on track*

Edit: Up to May 6th. Stargazer, I may send you this pm when I get through to see if I have all the facts straight with what's going on where if that's ok.
starkat

Postby stargazer » Aug 20, 2012 11:36 pm

A PM would be fine, kat! I'll be glad to try to help explain all this...if I can. ;)

Nice segment, Ryadian...glad to see Shadow taken care of.

This spoiler box contains a few notes on my latest segment. Please read the segment before reading these comments as there be spoilers here.

This latest change to my main characters was inspired by a light-hearted comment Masked Rider made in a recent conversation with Ryadian and me; Xander’s vision of multiple hatchlings (posted July 5) also came into play. This is intended as a one-off but I may write in it again – and others are welcome to do so if they wish. It's another alternate universe but there’s no need to try to fit it into the current 4-universe scheme.
stargazer

Postby starkat » Aug 22, 2012 4:23 pm

*sneaks in sheepishly* I'm making progress! I really am! I'm on page 10. Thing is... I got a book in I have to read because it's an advanced reader copy and I need to post a review on it. So I'm going to have to bump my getting caught up date by a couple of days. I'd do less, but my Fridays are usually afk as well as my Saturdays. So hopefully by Sunday night at the latest. :ymblushing:

I am loving what I'm reading. I'm having to read it in chunks though to let my brain follow all the twists and turns.

Thanks stargazer! As soon as I get caught up, I'll send you my scribblings and you can correct where I'm off. :)
starkat

PreviousNext