This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Pets Blog!!!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

The Pets Blog!!!

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 17, 2012 1:57 pm

We have received numerous requests over the past few months concerning the pet blog, which was formerly located in the Games and Blogs section of the forum. We've decided that the Spare Oom was the best location for a new version of the pet blog to open up. So that brings us to where we are today.

This is the thread where you can talk about anything relating to your pets! From health questions/advice from fellow pet owners (and DiGs your future veterinarian :)) ), to funny stories about your animals, and everywhere in between, this is the place to post about them!

So let's start off with a few basic questions, shall we?

-How many pets do you have?
-What are their names, and how did you come up with them?
-What are some funny things that your pets do?
-What are some funny stories that you have about your pets?

My answers to the above questions go a little like this:

-I currently have 6 pets. Two cockatiels, two budgerigars, a cat and a dog.

-My cinnamon pied cockatiel is named Julius, and my pearl pied cockatiel is named Calpurnia. The names come from Julius Caesar by Shakespeare. My purple/grey budgerigar is named Cornelius (after Dr. Cornelius) and my albino one is named Opal, which I came up with because I needed a gender neutral name as albino birds are difficult to sex (although I now know he's a male). My dog is a Yorkshire Terrier / Jack Russel Terrier mix, and her name is Dobby (after the Harry Potter character) but she has so many nicknames, that she answers to practically anything you say to her. These nicknames include, but are not limited to, shones, shoney, shoney mcshones, shoney bear, berry bear, sugar bacon, dobby doo, and poppit. Our cat is a female domestic shorthair with a tortoiseshell coat pattern. Her name is Skittle Pickles (Skittle most of the time). I honestly have no idea how we came up with that name :P

-Some funny things they do. . . hmmmm. Dobby likes to sleep in our laundry basket, but only if there are dirty clothes in it. She always sleeps on her back, curled sideways (so that her body is shaped like a "U" ) with all four paws up in the air. Opal likes to hang upside down from the top of their cage and rock back and forth. Calpurnia and Julius like to bounce up and down when you whistle to them.

-A funny story. . . . hmm. . . .Can't think of one right now.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that pictures are DEFINITELY allowed in here. As such, here is a picture of Skittle-Pickles:

And here is a picture of Dobby (on the night we brought her home. She still looks more or less the same)

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Re: The Pets Blog!!!

Postby wild rose » Jul 17, 2012 2:33 pm

a huge THANK YOU for opening this thread, :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:

LOL Digs, that's so funny about Dobby *tries to picture it in her mind*
awwww Dobby looks so adorable and Skittle Pickles is a lovely cat :)

so
I have three pets A guinea pig and two budgies :) (actually one of the budiges, the male, belongs to me, De and Narnian_Archer collectively)
My guinea pig's name is Lucy, I named her in honor of Lucy Pevensie :) The female budgie's name is Sophie, I really love that name, so when I got Sophie for my birthday I knew I had to call her that. The male is Robin Hood, my sisters and I are fans of the Robin Hood legends so we named him in honor of our hero)
(if you're wondering why we don't have Lady Marian, we did, but then we found out the 'she' was a male and then 'he' died, very sad story, would rather not talk about it)
Robin and Sophie constantly argue over the mirror in their cage. It's so funny. Robin thinks the mirror belongs to him and Sophie is jealous that Robin is always sitting with the mirror and not with her, so they have this never ending squable.
Lucy has this funny habit of chewing on her wooden home after she eats, it gets kinda annoying though :p
-What are some funny stories that you have about your pets?
Funny stories, uh, well one time Sophie was playing around with the mirror and turned it sideways (I'm not sure how she did it). She seemed very happy with this new arragenment, but Robin was horrified, he's the sort of bird that hates changes in his cage. He kept trying to put it back the way it was, but Sophie wouldn't let him and they kept going back and forth and back and forth, it was hilarious to watch.

Right now I am also looking after my friends two male guineas while they go for summer vacation. They are so very different from my Lucy, but are very sweet and I love them already. One of them is bigger, his name is Venya and the smaller one is Fedya. I actually wanted to breed Lucy, seeing as I have the males anyway, but after research, I realized I can't, Lucy's a little too old. Oh well :(

Oh and I'm hoping to get some fish soon, I just need to find a day when my mom and I are free so we can go and buy them :D .

I'll try to post pictures of my pets sometime soon
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby wolfloversk » Jul 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Yay pet's blog! (Now I can change my sig :P)

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:(and DiGs your future veterinarian :)) )
*applauds* :P

Currently my family owns 4 pets, but I've had many in the past as well... totaling 4 fish, a dog, 5 cats (not including the strays that disappeared while they were kitttens), 9 gerbils (long story), 2 rabbits, 3 hamsters, a guinea pig, and an ant farm #:-s We also "fostered" 3 tadpoles before releasing them into the wild for a school project. Obviously this was not all at the same time... The most animals I had at one time was 9 (8 gerbils and a hamster) That was supposed to be 3... but the gerbils accidentally bred.

Well currently our 2 cats are Nosey (named for his personality and white nose) and Whitey (named for her color), our Guinea Pig is Quorra (named after the Tron: Legacy Character), and our rabbit is Fluffy (named because she's a lionhead/angora mix. Fluffy is also six letters and I'm trying to keep that theme with the rabbits I own- Patchy was my last rabbit an English Spot Rex mix, there was also a wild rabbit that used to hang around here I named Ransom (not after the CS Lewis character, that was a pure coincidence ;)) ) So after that I decided to keep the six-letter theme, that kind of transfered to Quorra as well. Blackie (note the spelling) was Whitey and Nosey's Brother who dissapeared this past summer :( I named their tabby brother "Tiger", but he wasn't included in the pets list :P They had 2 other unnamed siblings who along with Tiger disappeared as kittens. Mostly I name animals for looks (though all of the above cats except Tiger were named by my mom... ) Our gerbils were Sand (for the mongolian environment, the dad), Sparkle (the mom, for her glittering eyes), White-foot, Blacky, Midnight, Sparky (after her mom), Albino (not a true albino though), Cinnamon (for color), and Ghost (unrelated- named for color and memory of past gerbils). Our hamsters were Stripes, Socks, and Daisy (not named by me). Our first cat was a tabby named Star, and our Dog was named Fred, whom we had before I was born... (named by my brother I think). I can't remember if I ever named the fish or the tadpoles... obviously never named the ants :P . Did I miss anybody?
Well the cats like to chase and tackle each other... Nosey is also very interested in my other two pets... sometimes a little too much :| Quorra is such a pig! If I even rustle a bag she starts squealing cuz she wants carrots... Both Patchy and Fluffy have been abesolutely crazy rabbits... they just run around the hutch in circles. Patchy and I used to play tag (bet you guys never thought a rabbit would play tag huh? I'm pretty sure they invented it :P ) And Fluffy jumps onto everything and behind everything... she's even tried to climb up her cage. Patchy also used to be obessed with a certain shade of blue... he'd attack anything that was that color. Fluffy's shown no signs of color phobias... which is good cuz she's a handful as it is :P

Pictures will come later... I think my post is too long already :P :ymblushing: Sorry to all those who got lost back at the list of animals!
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Miss Rosario » Jul 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Whoo-hoo, it's so good to have this thread back! :D

How many pets do you have?
Currently we only have one cat, Sofie. Our past pets included a hamster, a rabbit, and three cats, but they all disappeared or died at one point or another. But, as of tomorrow, I will have a dog as well!!!! She will be my first dog - we are adopting her from a nearby pound, and she is a one-year-old lovable Shepherd mix who absolutely adores people and wags her tail at everything. ;)) :D *is terribly excited* I've wanted a dog for years, but we never got one for some reason or another. I can't believe it's actually happening at last.

What are their names, and how did you come up with them?
My cat's name is Sofie. I don't really know why we picked the name.... I think we just liked it. She's a very prissy, prim, proper, and girly kitty, though, and the name Sofie seemed to fit her personality.

What are some funny things that your pets do?
She plays fetch. She used to do it more regularly, but over the past few months she's decided she'll do it on her own time. :p But still. She does chase and [most of the time] retrieve hair ties.

She also gets stuck up in trees quite regularly and enjoys sleeping in the birdbath. ;))

Ah yes, and she looooooves to talk. She'll meow back when we talk to her, while rolling around on the ground. It's very cute.

What are some funny stories that you have about your pets?
Can't think of any off the top of my head, at least not with Sofie. I'll get back to you if any come to mind.

*will add a few pictures later*
Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci
Miss Rosario
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Wandering Welcomer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm

wild rose wrote:I realized I can't, Lucy's a little too old.

Yeah the problem with that is that guinea pigs are not meant to live as long as they do in captivity. They live very short lifespans, have lots of babies, and then die. While they're young, females pelvic bones are not fused, but once they reach a certain age, their pelvic bones fuse together making child birth physically impossible. You could still breed her. . . but you'd have to pay for a C-section :P
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby AstroWolfD » Jul 17, 2012 5:48 pm

NARNIAWEB EPISODE 2: RETURN OF THE PETS BLOG B-) 8-}

The most noteworthy piece of pet information that I have to pass on would be that my German Shepard needs to go on a major diet :p . other than that my two dogs and my brother's cats, not to mention our rabbit ;) , have all been doing well.
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby wolfloversk » Jul 17, 2012 5:50 pm

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:
wild rose wrote:I realized I can't, Lucy's a little too old.

Yeah the problem with that is that guinea pigs are not meant to live as long as they do in captivity. They live very short lifespans, have lots of babies, and then die. While they're young, females pelvic bones are not fused, but once they reach a certain age, their pelvic bones fuse together making child birth physically impossible. You could still breed her. . . but you'd have to pay for a C-section :P

Did not know that. Digs, I think your vet training is showing :P But yeah Guinea Pigs only live to about 5 years. That's typical of rodents - short lifespans and lots of babies... though Guinea's run on the longer end of the rodent lifespans.

Speaking of breeding, don't be surprised if ten years from now you find me ranting about the latest litter... I know I want more rabbits when I'm older, and I've done lots of thinking about breeding them, but for now one is enough to take care of... especially as I still live at my parent's :P

Right now Nosey's in here watching Fluffy groom :P Nosey's probably the one most that's most people loving around here, although everybody likes attention, but Nosey's really the only one who tolerates being picked up for any extended amount of time :P Rabbits and Guinea Pigs are instinctively fearful of it... however being prey animals. This is one of many reasons why rabbits, contrary to popular lore, make terrible pets for young children. Little kids love to pick things up, rabbits prefer to be on the ground and will kick out when frightened... Not only is the kid going to get scratched up, but a rabbit can very easily break it's own back doing so. Though it depends on the child, most people recommend waiting until a kid is 7 or 8 before buying them a rabbit... or any other small pet for that matter... by then they're old enough to restrain themselves :P

Lagomorph 101: Fact 1- Rabbits and toddlers don't mix
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 18, 2012 6:53 am

Dobby's having dental surgery tomorrow. Her breath is AWFUL and it's due to heavy tartar buildup in the rear of her mouth. Prayers for a successful surgery are appreciated ;)
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby fantasia » Jul 18, 2012 7:20 am

-How many pets do you have? 3 - One dog and two cats
-What are their names, and how did you come up with them? Fiona (named after the Princess Ogre from Shrek), Abi (named after Abigail Chase in National Treasure "She won't shut up."), and Murky (named after a fish/human character in World of Warcraft (long story))
-What are some funny things that your pets do? / -What are some funny stories that you have about your pets?How much time do you have? ;)) Alright, I'll try to narrow it down to one funny thing per pet.
Fiona loves cold and she loves water. When she was a puppy I would freak out about the idea of leaving her outside during the winter cause it would get so cold here. We got her a dog house built with some straw and blankets, but I finally figured out that it was useless cause she'd just go lay out in the snow. One time I caught her standing in her puppy pool while it was snowing. She had broken through the layer of ice and was just standing in the freezing water, happy as a clam. 8-| But she's a Newfoundland and they were bred to pull fish nets out of the freezing waters of the Labrador Bay. ;))
Abi is my killer kitty of doom and destruction. Beware when you look at Abi's eyes and you see nothing but black holes. She's fast, she's agile, and I personally believe she has some Egyptian Mau in her, though if she does, she's not purebred. Her favorite toy is a balled up piece of wax paper. You shoot that thing down the hall, up the stairs, through the air, she's going for it. She can also run sideways across the back of the couch, which is quite impressive. One of these days I'm going to capture that on video.
Murky is the opposite of Abi. He's huge, he's laid back, he's clumsy and he's a flop. While he certainly gets fired up from time to time and will play, he's more content to just do his thing. He's the one with the most oddities out of all my pets. He likes rubber bands. He'll nibble on them between his tiny front teeth. He likes to knock things into the sink. He has a phobia of closed doors (especially if he's trapped on the other side of them from where we are). He's not big on piles of laundry either, he'll walk up to them on high alert and they're only ok if he can bat the pile with his paw and it doesn't move. However, if he detects danger he'll jump several inches straight up in the air and run away. (This ended badly a couple weeks ago when he landed on my face... b-( ) But the weirdest thing about him (to me)? He doesn't like treats. Kibble is his favorite food in the world, and I guess that's ok. Better that than the other way around. ;))

*glances up* So much for only one story per pet. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 18, 2012 8:49 am

Fantasia wrote:Abi is my killer kitty of doom and destruction. Beware when you look at Abi's eyes and you see nothing but black holes. She's fast, she's agile, and I personally believe she has some Egyptian Mau in her

Really?! I love Egyptian Mau's. . . they're one of my favourite cat breeds. I say this, having never seen one that is, and am merely saying that based on the way they look ;).

My other favourites are:
Maine Coon Cats
Norwegian Forest Cats
Abyssinian
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby wild rose » Jul 18, 2012 10:20 am

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:You could still breed her. . . but you'd have to pay for a C-section

yeah, maybe not :p I don't think it'll be worth it :p and my parents will be very against (cause they'll be the ones paying :p )

Praying for Dobby :ymhug:

wolfloversk wrote:The most animals I had at one time was 9 (8 gerbils and a hamster) That was supposed to be 3... but the gerbils accidentally bred.

LOL, I remember once we went to visit our friends and they had a whole ton of hamsters, and the dad was like, 'we had three female hamsters and two males and then the children decided to put them in one cage....

Pets I had before included three kitties. Mursik got pushed off the 17th floor of our apartment building :(( Princess ran away and the last one, Kitty ran away too. She was our last cat cause then my sister developed an allegy to cats and we couldn't get anymore. I also used to have two turtles, Fed and Bart, and another guinea pig Nessie. Oh and De used to have fish :)

here some pictures of my pets :)
my Lucy :x :x :x
(she's still a baby here, but she hasn't changed much, just gotten bigger)

the birds, Sophie is the yellow/green one and Robin is the bluish one
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 18, 2012 10:49 am

wild rose, Lucy is so cute! I have always had such a soft spot for guinea pigs because we were never allowed to have them as kids. Mom is terrified of mice, and always thought that they looked too much like giant rats.

Robin looks a lot like one of my old budgerigars named Shasta. She passed away in 2008 after a sudden illness.

Is that the mirror that inspired the story? ;))
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby wild rose » Jul 18, 2012 12:27 pm

thanks Digs :)

I have a friend who's terrified of guinea pigs, and whenever she comes to visit I have to take Lucy out of the room, because she just gets freaked of the noises Lucy makes (though Lucy is 100% tame, she doesn't bite at all and is gentle and sweet, but my friend is also convinced that she looks like a giant rat)

awww sorry about Shasta :(

that isn't 'the mirror', that's the smaller one that neither Sophie or Robin really care for, I guess it's too small for their liking :p
here's the one that inspired the story
it's Robin's special mirror, when Sophie touches it, Robin gets super upset, he's extremely protective. It's so funny, he'll sit and softly sing songs to his reflection :p he's had that mirror ever since we got him, seven years ago and it's his 'prescious' :)
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Here's how Dobby's surgery went:

She got her anesthetic around 12:00 PM, and it took her about 20 minutes to fall asleep. This is a LONG time. . . usually it takes 5 minutes :P. The surgery went very well, there were only two problems. One, one of Dobby's molars has lost it's enamel, probably from chewing on a bone or a rock or a stick. She's not in any pain according to the doctor, but she shouldn't be allowed to chew on anything hard any more. Her last bottom right tooth is loose, but that's not a big deal, because he said it's very poorly anchored, and almost always falls out. Other than that, he said that her teeth looked very good (apart from the obvious tartar buildup).

She woke up around 2:00 PM, and got to come home around 3:00 PM. She's still groggy, and is having trouble walking, but it's wearing off bit by bit. She's already been begging for food, but she's whining an awful lot ;)).

Thank you all very much for your prayers!
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Miss Rosario » Jul 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Glad to hear that Dobby's surgery went okay, DiGs!

Well yesterday, I brought my dog home at last! Her full name is Sasha Leona Rose (only Sasha for short) - Sasha, meaning "defending warrior", Leona meaning "brave as a lioness", and Rose because that's my favorite name. ;) She is an absolute sweetheart. She loves people, and is becoming rather famous for her friendly grin, eager tail-wagging, and lopsided ears. :D

Our camera is currently broken, so pictures will be up as soon as possible.

EDIT: Ah, yes. And we, um, introduced Sasha to Sofie. Hah hah...hah. That did not go over well.
Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci
Miss Rosario
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Wandering Welcomer

Postby wild rose » Jul 21, 2012 11:44 am

I'm glad Dobby's surgery went well :)

Hooray for getting a dog Miss R, she has a beautiful name (in Russia, Sasha is the short form of Alexandria :) )

oh dear, did Sasha chase Sofie?

Our birds have gone into fighting mode, like they seem to enjoy doing every summer. I don't know what is their problem :| but one thing is for sure, there is no peace in our house, they squawk and squabble from dawntill dusk (literally). When my friend's guniea pigs, Fedya and Venya, came to stay with us, they were terrified of the birds loud squawking, especially Venya. But now, just like Lucy, who has grown up with thoes birds, they have gotten used to the noise :) Lucy doesn't mind them at all, it's all background noise to her :)
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Next