This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Narnian Female

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which of these young women is the most wonderful?

Lucy (LWW/PC/VDT)
49%
Susan (LWW/PC)
10%
Aravis (HHB)
19%
Polly (MN)
1%
Jill (SC/LB)
17%
Helen (MN)
1%
Ramandu's Daughter (VDT)
2%
Lasraleen (HHB)
No votes
Gwendolen (PC)
1%
Other (please specify)
1%

Total votes : 172

Re: Favorite Narnian Female

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Lucy! She has always been my favorite.
She never lost faith in Aslan or Narnia.
She was quick to forgive those who wronged her, she was loyal to her family and friends. And her relationship with Aslan is one of the things I love in Narnia!
Aravis is a very close second, she is loyal and will stick with you.
She is tuff, and level headed, but the reason I think I like her so much is because the way Lewis developed her character as the story goes along.
I especially like Lewis' reason for both Shasta and Aravis getting married:

Aravis also had many quarrels (and, I'm afraid, even fights) with Cor, but they always made it up again: so that years later, when they were grown up, they were so used to quarrelling and making it up again that they got married so as to go on doing it more conveniently.
Ch. 15 : Rabadash the Ridiculous

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Andriel » Jul 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Ha! that was hard.
I couldn't decide between Aravis and Lasraleen.
I ended up with Aravis. I like her because she is Adventurous,and shes not like the other girl characters.

~Andriel
Previously DP Dessa
My RL sibs are Adeona, NarnianCricket, and DancingPrincesses.
Im a HUGE Fan of The Avengers!!!!!!!!!
Andriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DancingPrincesses » Jul 08, 2012 1:06 am

I had to choose Lucy. I choose her because she always believed in Narnia and Aslan, even when the others didn't.
Jill would be my second choice , because she has always reminded me of myself! :)

My RL sibs are Adeona, Mars Aviator, Lizzle, NarnianCricket, and Andriel
DancingPrincesses
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 08, 2012 1:33 pm

I'd have to go with the majority and say my favorite is Lucy. She's kind of a role model for me, because of her deep love for Aslan, and is always the one to follow Him even when the others don't.

Polly is a close second, though. :P And Jill is third.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Narnian_Archer » Jul 09, 2012 7:54 am

I'm going for Aravis, definitely. Firstly, she is brave. She can be shaking and shivering with fear inside, but nevertheless she will face anything that is placed before her. There's a lot of courage in her heart, and that's something I really admire. Secondly, she is loyal. Even though she doesn't like Shasta, she still has no intention of leaving him behind in Tashbaan, but insists on their waiting for him near the tombs. Thirdly, she has attitude, which is cool, because not many of the other Narnian characters have an attitude. I know she is rather proud and haughty in the beginning, which is understandable (her being a Tarkheena and all), but that leads to the fourth thing I like about her, which is her transformation. I love how she changes, with the help of Aslan, to being humble and accepting Shasta as he is, even before she discovers that he is Cor. Fifth, I just love, I seriously love girls who dress in armor!! (I guess that's because I'm into reenactment and used to train as a fencer) All that together makes her such an interesting and deep character, because we see her from so many different sides. She's really amazing, and in my opinion, the strongest and most developed of all the Narnian females. :)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 09, 2012 8:01 am

Agh, this was hard. :P I suppose Lucy is my favourite, though, as she had such an amazing, child-like faith in Aslan, which is exactly the sort of faith we're supposed to have for Christ. Besides that, her ability to befriend everyone she meets is a characteristic I should like to imitate. ;)

Jill, Aravis, and Polly are close behind, though--Jill, for her faults that often mirror my own, Aravis for her courage, and Polly for her adventurous ("Smugglers' Cave") yet cautious (don't ring the bell!) spirit.
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby De_De » Jul 09, 2012 8:56 am

I chose Aravis, though Lucy comes close behind. It was actually really hard for me to chose. But in the end Aravis won because she somehow has more life in her. She is more active and daring.
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 09, 2012 6:28 pm

I voted for Lucy, because of her close relationship to Aslan - and also because she is taking such joy in Narnia.

But Jill would have been a close second. She's brave and adventurous, and although she doesn't always take the right decisions, that fact makes her very real and someone we can relate to.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby MountainFireflower » Jul 11, 2012 12:38 pm

I'm going to ditto everyone and go with Lucy. Her childlike faith is admirable, and she's one person I aspire to be like. I love her spark and joy for life, and her relationship with Aslan.

Although many of you think that VDT was an awful movie (I agree with you in some aspects), I do think that the movie brought up a great point: without Lucy, Narnia may not have been found. Obviously, Aslan could have had someone else find it since he's all-powerful, but the Narnia that we know today would certainly not be the same without her. I think Lucy was one of the best characters C.S. Lewis wrote -- although I certainly enjoy the other female characters.

Speaking of which, Lucy is closely followed as my favorite by Aravis and Jill. I especially like Aravis' relationship with Shasta, though that's another topic for another day. ;)
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby narnia fan 7 » Oct 05, 2013 8:28 pm

I had difficulty choosing between Lucy and Jill but I vote Jill I've always found her to be one of if not the most rateable characters in the series.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aaronnz » May 24, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm gonna say other and go with Jadis. She is so beautiful and Tilda makes a perfect character come alive.
aaronnz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 05, 2014 12:35 pm

While I also like Lucy and Aravis quite a bit, I chose Jill. She changes so much throughout the course of two books and it's wonderful to watch. Her story is also very inspiring for anyone who struggles with trust. She's also kind and forgiving to Puzzle, and shows great courage in The Silver Chair and The Last Battle. I think she's one of the most relatable female characters in the series; she messes up a lot, as we all do, but she learns from her mistakes.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Ryadian » Jul 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Huge shocker, Lucy is in the lead by a large margin. ;)) Well, my vote contributed to that. :) Lucy has always been one of my favorite Narnian characters. She just embodies the best aspects of childhood--the innocence, the faith, the adventurous spirit.... To me, Lucy embodies the heart of Narnia, especially with her closeness to Aslan.

However, despite how much I like Lucy, she's actually only my favorite character by a slight margin. :P My second favorite (female) character is Aravis. I like how different she is from most of the other characters in the story--including the fact that she's Calormen, and therefore sees the world very differently from other characters. I also really like her because she has a strong sense of honor--for example, even though she doesn't really like Shasta, she doesn't even consider leaving Tashbaan without him. I also just like her character arc--like Bree, she learns humility, but not without losing any of the spirit that makes her so much fun. :P

I don't dare try to rank the characters beyond here, though, because I'm sure I'll have different opinions tomorrow. :P
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Elfiea » Feb 12, 2015 7:13 pm

Definitely Lucy! She always embodied a child-like faith that I want to emulate in my life. She always finds a good way to look at the world around her. I've always empathized quite deeply with her. :)

But a close second would have to be Jill! She's tough (and a bit stubborn and obstinate), but she grows so much throughout the series and becomes a really great person.
Thanks to daughter of the King for the avatar!
Elfiea
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby HazyHays » Nov 14, 2016 12:38 pm

No doubt for me it is Lucy. She has the most wonderful loving and caring personality of all 4 of the Pevensie kids. Her sense of adventure is also something that is amazing to me. For someone so pint sized(even though she is taller than most in her class) she is very strong.
"Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom, around the bright city War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"~ Mr. Tumnus
HazyHays
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 05, 2018 9:25 pm

It is hard to choose between Lucy and Aravis, but although I am nothing like Aravis, I enjoyed her as a character. I admire her bravery, and I liked seeing her character arc!
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext