This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Most Disliked Quotes

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Most Disliked Quotes

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jul 05, 2012 1:48 pm

"Isle of Ramandu-doo..." -Eustace.

:ymsick: /:) =; X(

Okay, was that really necessary?!?! Really filmmakers? What were you thinking? A majority of Narnia's audience comes from older kids, teenagers, and even adults. Please don't use this kind of humor. It really insults and embarrasses us. It's already bad enough people think the Narnia books are for little kids.

Then again, if someone used the term poop deck, I bet kids would get laugh out of it anyways. 8-|
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jul 05, 2012 2:24 pm

"Just because some man in a red coat hands you a sword doesn't make you a hero. Just drop it!!!" -Sure Susan. Tell your protector to drop his only weapon while being circled by ravenous wolves. Smart. Very Smart. "By the way, Lucy, drop your dagger while I throw them my bow."

"You will know her better hereafter!" -As Ginnabrik is about to kill Edmund. Um... how is Edmund going to know the queen better if he's dead?

Ithilwen wrote:
Adeona wrote:Also, in VDT when Lucy says to Reepicheep "Do you really think there's such a place?" about Aslan's Country. Queen Lucy of Narnia would know there is!

Ugh, yes! And Lucy is supposed to be the one who believes in Aslan the most!

In context I've taken it to mean that she was asking Reepicheep what his beliefs were, not expressing her own doubt.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby MountainFireflower » Jul 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Movie Aristotle wrote:"You will know her better hereafter!" -As Ginnabrik is about to kill Edmund. Um... how is Edmund going to know the queen better if he's dead?

I think the idea is that Edmund would realize how cruel the White Witch is if she allows him to be killed by Ginnarbrik. Still, I see what you mean, it doesn't make much sense.

Melian_Maia wrote:The "BRAAAAACCCCEEE YOUUUUURRSEEEELLLLVES!!" really annoyed me, along with most of the other quotes posted here.

Yup, same here. It just seems really out of place & unnecessary, and I can't understand what the purpose of the line is, or why it was so drawn-out. I think if Susan had said it differently, I might not've cared so much. But with how drawn-out and dramatic it is, it really disrupts the flow of the movie and seems quite out of place.

Ithilwen wrote:It's in LWW, when Edmund and Tumnus are in the prison. And Jadis says, "You're here because *he* turned you in... for sweeties."

I don't know. It was such a dramatic scene and atmosphere. And then she says the word "sweeties". I know a lot of people use that word for candies and such. It just seems like there could have been a better term to use other than that one. Something that would have spoiled the atmosphere less...

Actually, I like that scene. I think that word was used to show how awful it was that Edmund turned Tumnus in for something as ridiculous as sweeties. It really downplays the Turkish Delight. Up until then, I'd been enamored with the Turkish Delight and craving some of my own. However, when the White Witch says it the way she did, it shows that Edmund made a very bad decision to turn Tumnus in for something as insignificant as a little bit of sugar. When I think of it that way, I can't think of a better word to use than sweeties.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lion's Emblem » Jul 05, 2012 8:25 pm

Umm, do I have enough characters to write down the entire script for VDT? Okay, not seriously, but there is a lot (and I mean a lot) of terrible dialogue in VDT.

Edmund: What mansion? Oh. That mansion.

Lilliandil: If it's a distraction for you, I can change form.
Caspian and Edmund: No!
-Ugh.

Lucy: Thanks Reep. I knew you'd come.
-Come on Lucy, is Reepicheep suddenly you're knight in shining armor arriving to rescue you. Yet, at the end you claim: "We did it. I knew we would." (another terrible line by the way, when you consider Lucy asking for Aslan's help in PC)

Caspian: ... High King and Queen of Narnia.
-This is only a bad line because the facts are wrong. Remind me again. How much dialogue was spent in PC explaining that Peter was the High King and Edmund was "just king, though"?

Um, all of Coriakin's lines. This is supposed to be a very informative and important scene, but it just circles back to the stupidity of the mist.

And, I agree about the "Brace yourselves" bit in PC. It's not a bad line, but the dragging on and slow motion effect on it brings about the cringe factor. I also agree about the "shut up" line with Reepicheep. Not a very valiant mouse in this scene is he? Actually, I didn't care for the instances where shut up was used (with Reepicheep, Peter to Susan about "the water erodding the earth's soil", and Susan to Lucy about "You may need to call me again") it felt out of place for the era to me.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Nellie of Narnia » Jul 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Movie Aristotle wrote:"You will know her better hereafter!" -As Ginnabrik is about to kill Edmund. Um... how is Edmund going to know the queen better if he's dead?

Good point. I had thought the very same thing! :-\

Lion's Emblem wrote:Lucy: Thanks Reep. I knew you'd come.
-Come on Lucy, is Reepicheep suddenly you're knight in shining armor arriving to rescue you. Yet, at the end you claim: "We did it. I knew we would." (another terrible line by the way, when you consider Lucy asking for Aslan's help in PC)

Yes, Lion's Emblem, I quite agree about Lucy saying: "We did it. I knew we would." at the end of VDT, being a terrible line. After all, she is the one who, in the movies and the books, is the first to give the credit for what was achieved to Aslan, not herself or someone else. In the book, as well as in the old BBC movies (which, in my opinion, are a very faithful and splendid adaptation, aside from a few visual effects issues, by the way), when the voyagers are in the Dark Island, thinking they will never get out, she calls to Aslan for help, and then, when they do get out, Lord Rhoop says, about the Dark Island, "Why! You have destroyed it!", and Lucy replies, "I don't think it was us.", obviously inferring that it was Aslan's doing. It's not in her character to say what she says in the newer VDT movie, implying that she and her friends did everything. Basically, it's a really bad line! ;))

Lion's Emblem wrote:I also agree about the "shut up" line with Reepicheep. Not a very valiant mouse in this scene is he? Actually, I didn't care for the instances where shut up was used (with Reepicheep, Peter to Susan about "the water erodding the earth's soil", and Susan to Lucy about "You may need to call me again") it felt out of place for the era to me.

Exactly! The term "Shut up" seems too modern, or too American, to be used in the Chronicles. And Reepicheep of all characters would never say this!!! :-o He speaks too properly and graciously to utter such a line! X(

That's all I have to say at the moment about my most disliked quotes, but I do have one more thing to state on a very different topic: this is my 333rd post!! :)
"Polly knew at once that it was the Cabby's wife, fetched out of our world not by any tiresome magic rings, but quickly, simply and sweetly as a bird flies to its nest."
(The Magician's Nephew, Chapter 11)

Real life daughter to johobbit!
NW niece to ramagut.
NW Hobbit cousin to coracle.
Nellie of Narnia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Andriel » Jul 07, 2012 8:51 pm

One of my most disliked quotes is from Prince Caspian:

"Whether this horn is magical or not........." ~Prince Caspian

I don't no why, it just strikes me as annoying. :-\
Previously DP Dessa
My RL sibs are Adeona, NarnianCricket, and DancingPrincesses.
Im a HUGE Fan of The Avengers!!!!!!!!!
Andriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jul 08, 2012 7:20 am

Um... the term 'shut up' has been around for many years and it's not exclusive to America. There are instances in the original books where it's used.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby twinimage » Jul 11, 2012 12:51 pm

The dialogue in LWW is pretty good. Not great, but nothing stands out as really bad or cheesy.

The MOST annoying line from PC is the "shut up" that Peter says to Susan and Reep says to the squirrel, which I assume is Pattertwig. Both times it is uncalled for and very out of character. Oh and the line Susan says right before she kisses Caspian. :ymsick:

Won't even talk about VDT. The entire script is really messed up.
twinimage
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby SilverSea » Jul 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Anything everyone spew out of their mouths in VDT. :p Also, the "Why don't you just do what you're told?!?" stuff in LWW. Very cheesey.
SilverSea
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm

I still really shiver at two lines used in Prince Caspian and those are:

Peter, saying something about girls not carrying maps in their heads and Lucy replies that that's because girls have something in them.

and again Peter "What do you suppose happens if you die here?"

For the first one those lines sound a like from the book Silver Chair between Eustace and Jill and second again Eustace and Jill in Last Battle. I didn't want to hear that line until Last Battle came around.

And lastly just for kicks, 'Brace Yourselves!" lol =))
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glumpuddle » Aug 04, 2012 3:09 pm

YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Lilygloves » Aug 04, 2012 6:25 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:And lastly just for kicks, 'Brace Yourselves!" lol =))

Don't you mean, "BRAAAAAAACE YOURSEEEEEEEEEEEEELVESSSSSS!!!!!!!!"? :)

and glumPuddle, if I could like your post I would.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 10, 2012 4:01 am

DamselJillPole wrote:I still really shiver at two lines used in Prince Caspian and those are:

Peter, saying something about girls not carrying maps in their heads and Lucy replies that that's because girls have something in them.
and again Peter "What do you suppose happens if you die here?"

For the first one those lines sound a like from the book Silver Chair between Eustace and Jill and second again Eustace and Jill in Last Battle. I didn't want to hear that line until Last Battle came around.

And lastly just for kicks, 'Brace Yourselves!" lol =))

'Brace yourselves', I agree, does sound just a little too, er, bracing? But really, the first quote that is objected to, and which I highlighted, was a direct quote from the original PC. Yes, the book PC, page 105, in the 9th chapter, What Lucy saw. Only it is Edmund who said it, not Peter. According to the book, Edmund wanted to back up whatever Lucy said, but did so as grumpily as possible. I wonder if Walden gave Edmund's lines to Peter, because portraying Edmund as backing up Lucy rather grumpily was just a bit too hard to show in a movie? Perhaps it was easier painting Peter as the grumpy one, when they wanted to show Edmund in a more favourable light in PC than they did in LWW? As truly reformed, but still human where his brother was concerned?

And yes, I do agree with W4J that the term 'shut up', used quite frequently through the CON books, has been around for a good while in other parts of the English-speaking world, along with similar terms that would not be considered polite in American English. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Edmund_The_Just » Aug 10, 2012 6:49 am

In VDT...

Edmund: "WHAT mansion?"
*mansion appears*
Edmund: "Ahhh, THAT mansion!"

8-| Nooo, the other one ;)
Edmund_The_Just
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Nellie of Narnia wrote:Yes, Lion's Emblem, I quite agree about Lucy saying: "We did it. I knew we would." at the end of VDT, being a terrible line. After all, she is the one who, in the movies and the books, is the first to give the credit for what was achieved to Aslan, not herself or someone else.

Yes, this quote from VDT could have been better done. However, what is meant by 'we'? 'We' could still have included Aslan's help in addition to themselves. Unfortunately, due to the variations from the book, Lucy also missed out on saying 'I don't think it was us', when Rhoop credited the Dawn Treader voyagers for destroying the Dark Island.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Eustace » Nov 01, 2012 3:34 pm

For me it was all the weird lines in the Lucy's wonderful life scene. Just every line that Aslan says in that scene makes me cringe.

Edmund saying,''I think something is tempting us.'' Or something to that effect.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext