This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Most Disliked Quotes

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Most Disliked Quotes

Postby narnianerd » Jul 04, 2012 12:58 am

We all have these, the ones that were just silly, cheesy or are just plain annoying.

I'll start out with the classic ones from PC.

"BBBRRRAAACCCEEEE YYYYOOOUUURRSEEELLVVVESSS" - This one is really annoying because of the slow motion and how long it was drug out.

And of course, it wouldn't be a terrible quote thread without the "I am Prince Caspian" line from the trailers, While it was never spoken with in the movie, but it's still the defining line of PC.
you had me at meah
narnianerd
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Assisstant Lord of the Little Ponies

Re: Most Disliked Quotes

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 04, 2012 1:13 am

Yeah I agree that the "BRACCEEE YOUUURRSSELLVES" line can come across annoying. It sort of sticks out like a sore thumb, but for me it's only because of the slow mode, otherwise it would have turned out fine.

I don't know why but the conversation between Lucy and Gael right before the blue star appears, has always bugged me.
I think it comes across as to scripted to me.

I know there is another one, but I can't think of it. :-?

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Adeona » Jul 04, 2012 1:50 am

Oh! Oh! I know what one of the worst quotes is!

King Caspian: "Behold our castaways! High King and Queen of Narnia!"

What. Did the filmmakers take complete leave of their senses? %-(

Other then that little gem... Caspian's whole "Did you kill my father?!" rant in PC was way too Princess Bride, but I'm not sure how that could have been avoided!

Also, in VDT when Lucy says to Reepicheep "Do you really think there's such a place?" about Aslan's Country. Queen Lucy of Narnia would know there is!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 04, 2012 1:56 am

Adeona wrote:Also, in VDT when Lucy says to Reepicheep "Do you really think there's such a place?" about Aslan's Country. Queen Lucy of Narnia would know there is!

Ugh, yes! And Lucy is supposed to be the one who believes in Aslan the most!

Also, the quote where Reepicheep says he hopes he can somehow "earn" the right to see Aslan's country. Even worse, when Aslan says Reepicheep deserves to see Aslan's Country! *headdesk* No one deserves that. That's the whole point to the story...

:ymsigh:

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 04, 2012 2:15 am

Ithilwen wrote:
Adeona wrote:Also, in VDT when Lucy says to Reepicheep "Do you really think there's such a place?" about Aslan's Country. Queen Lucy of Narnia would know there is!

Ugh, yes! And Lucy is supposed to be the one who believes in Aslan the most!

Also, the quote where Reepicheep says he hopes he can somehow "earn" the right to see Aslan's country. Even worse, when Aslan says Reepicheep deserves to see Aslan's Country! *headdesk* No one deserves that. That's the whole point to the story...

Joins Ithilwen in *headdesk* I would have wrote that down but I was thinking more about cheesy quotes instead of quotes that contradicted the book (my post would have been much longer ;)) ), but again I think it goes back to the overall writing and plot.
*Shakes head and tries to forget about it*

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 04, 2012 2:34 am

Some people might think I'm really odd because of this... ;)) ... But there's this one quote that has always bugged me since the first moment I saw it.

It's in LWW, when Edmund and Tumnus are in the prison. And Jadis says, "You're here because *he* turned you in... for sweeties."

I don't know. It was such a dramatic scene and atmosphere. And then she says the word "sweeties". I know a lot of people use that word for candies and such. It just seems like there could have been a better term to use other than that one. Something that would have spoiled the atmosphere less...

... Or maybe I'm just imagining it all. 8-}

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 04, 2012 3:18 am

Ithilwen wrote:It's in LWW, when Edmund and Tumnus are in the prison. And Jadis says, "You're here because *he* turned you in... for sweeties."

I was never bugged by her saying that.
For me When she said it, it was to put down Edmund and make him out to be a little child who only wanted his candy and didn't know what he was doing. ;)

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 04, 2012 5:29 am

Caspian: You are most beautiful.
Lilliandil: If it is a distraction for you, I can change--
Caspian and Edmund: NO!

...*headdesks* Way to ruin the mysterious feel and the character of or two kings (not to mention make Caspian's future relationship with his queen look extraordinarily shallow), filmmakers.
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lilygloves » Jul 04, 2012 12:32 pm

In PC when Reepicheep says, "Yes! And throw them at the Telmarines! SHUT UP!" it seemed really out of character. I admit that it was funny, but it seemed to go against Reep's honor and chivalry. I just really don't like that line.

The quote that has really been bothering me is "extraordinary things happen to extraordinary people". That goes against the spirit of all seven of the books. They are all about ordinary children that develop and grow so they can rise to the challenge at hand. Because they are ordinary, their actions seem even more extraordinary. A fine example of the ordinary becoming extraordinary is Shasta in HHB. He has no real reason to help Narnia or Archenland, but he suffers through many trials to get the message and eventually save both countries. It is only after he, the ordinary person, performs these extraordinary acts, that he discovers he is special as the prince of Archenland.

I also didn't like "You might need to call me again." YOU MIGHT NEED TO CALL ME AGAIN?? really????
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Melian_Maia » Jul 04, 2012 4:16 pm

The "BRAAAAACCCCEEE YOUUUUURRSEEEELLLLVES!!" really annoyed me, along with most of the other quotes posted here.

Edmund's, "So, if there are no wars to fight, then why are we here?" when they're on the Dawn Treader frustrated me. It was one of those 'seriously?!' moments for me. ;))

Reepicheep's, "Unhand the tail. Aslan the Great gave me this tail and no one, repeat, no one, touches the tail. Period, exclamation mark!" I understand that Aslan gave him the tail, but really? Period, exclamation mark? I was rolling my eyes in theaters.

Those were the two that first came to mind. ;))
Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie! Secret Order of the Swoosh
Melian_Maia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jul 04, 2012 5:23 pm

"We did it!" -Lucy from VDT

Augh! Humanism! =; Must I say anymore? This goes completely against a quote Lucy even says in PC.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Louloudi the Centaur wrote:"We did it!" -Lucy from VDT

Ooooh yes. DX I completely forgot about that line... that, combined with the albatross doing its appear-disappear act, had me bashing my head against the back of the theater chair. :/ Talk about getting your theology mixed from movie to movie...
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jul 04, 2012 7:20 pm

The condensed list of the ones I truly don't like:
"Brace Yourselves." :-??

"It wouldn't have worked out. You are two thousand (?) years older than me, after all." :-? :-t - Susan to Caspian or Caspian to Susan. Forgot the exact thing.

"Yes, and throw them at the Telemarines! Shut up." -- Reepicheep to Patterwig. :( :-q [-x =(( :ymtongue: ... what a rude, ignoble, and un-Reepicheep like thing to say. What a way to demean Reep's character.

"We did it. I knew we could." - Lucy, after saying "Aslan, please help us." /:)

I agree with Adeona on Lucy's asking Reep if there was really a place such as Aslan's Country.

Thanks to glumPuddle, Drinian's "Pure evil" makes me laugh. Although that could possibly get off topic to lines that I found funny.

Riella wrote:I don't know. It was such a dramatic scene and atmosphere. And then she says the word "sweeties". I know a lot of people use that word for candies and such. It just seems like there could have been a better term to use other than that one. Something that would have spoiled the atmosphere less...
=)) Now that you mention it, I see that. It doesn't bother me too much, but now I'm not going to be able to watch that with a straight face.

Badger wrote:Caspian: You are most beautiful.
Lilliandil: If it is a distraction for you, I can change--
Caspian and Edmund: NO!

...*headdesks* Way to ruin the mysterious feel and the character of or two kings (not to mention make Caspian's future relationship with his queen look extraordinarily shallow), filmmakers.
Mhhhhmm. Couldn't agree with this more.

A lot of the humour in VDT was far too todayish, but even then, they were the kind of jokes that get no more than a couple polite smiles from people. The "period, exclamation mark!" remark falls in this category. If it was there, "period" should have been "full-stop" at the very least to be accurate.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 05, 2012 10:29 am

Aslanisthebest wrote:"Yes, and throw them at the Telemarines! Shut up." -- Reepicheep to Patterwig. :( :-q [-x =(( :ymtongue: ... what a rude, ignoble, and un-Reepicheep like thing to say. What a way to demean Reep's character.

Huh, I'd never thought of it that way... Reepicheep was a bit arrogant in book PC, I think, but I suppose it was a bit ignoble of the most noble of mice. :/

A lot of the humour in VDT was far too todayish, but even then, they were the kind of jokes that get no more than a couple polite smiles from people. The "period, exclamation mark!" remark falls in this category. If it was there, "period" should have been "full-stop" at the very least to be accurate.

Again, very good point--I hadn't thought about the "period" line until now. I suppose they might've thought American audiences wouldn't understand it (...and unfortunately, in most cases that'd be true), but that didn't stop them from calling flashlights torches, so... "Bother Eustace." :-s :P
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Jul 05, 2012 11:19 am

Aslanisthebest wrote:"Yes, and throw them at the Telemarines! Shut up." -- Reepicheep to Patterwig. :( :-q [-x =(( :ymtongue: ... what a rude, ignoble, and un-Reepicheep like thing to say. What a way to demean Reep's character.

Actually the reason I hate that line is because of the numerous times squirrels have nearly dropped pine cones on my head... I swear they do it on purpose... I found it slightly ironic, because that's exactly how I could see a Narnian squirrel fighting... and winning.

I also think that part was a little over the top for Reepicheep, but I agree with Badger, Reepicheep did not learn to be humble until the end of PC, he was still arrogant in the book. I just don't think he would have been so sarcastic.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Boy Scout » Jul 05, 2012 11:52 am

Melian_Maia wrote:Edmund's, "So, if there are no wars to fight, then why are we here?" when they're on the Dawn Treader frustrated me...

I actually didn't have to much of a problem with that one. Sure, it was kinda bult and not very graceful or anything, but it is a real issue that they faced in the book-and it also allowed for some explaination both in the book and the moive. Sure theyy could have worked with it better, but I really didn't see an issue with it.
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next