This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Dufflepuds are real!

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

The Dufflepuds are real!

Postby Reepi » Jun 12, 2012 3:21 am

Well, not real entirely, but the Dufflepuds were something I have assumed were Lewis' creation, but as it turns out those too are just based on mythology. Even described as "dwarf-like", just how Lewis described them, they are also most often referred to just as "Monopods", as they are also in VotDT.

And if you remember the bit about them lying on the backs and using their giant foot as an umbrella, this picture from 1493 should ring some bells:

What do you think?
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: The Dufflepuds are real!

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jun 12, 2012 4:43 am

That is really fascinating, Reepi! Did you find anything about their mythology?
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Reepi » Jun 13, 2012 7:03 am

I did stumble upon a wikipedia about it: Notable they are also mentioned by Pliny in something called Naturalis Historia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopod_%28creature%29
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Jun 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Interesting connection, Reepi. The picture reminds me of an illustration I would see for Marco Polo's travels.
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Narnian_Archer » Jun 14, 2012 10:41 pm

Very interesting - I had no idea they were actually in mythology! Very cool!!
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Jun 15, 2012 12:52 am

Wow, but when you think about LWW and PC and how many mythological creatures Lewis chose to put in his world, it isn't such a surprise.

There used to be old travellers' tales, and legends of what sailors had seen at the ends of the earth.... some of the creatures found in VDT reflect these.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lion's Emblem » Jun 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Good find Reepi. I never thought the monopods were actually from myth, I just assumed they were part of CS Lewis' creation. Oh well- it's still fascinating.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lilygloves » Jun 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Oh wow, that's very interesting. I had assumed that Lewis invented the idea of monopods. I was actually sort of disappointed in the movie that they did not explain that the dufflepuds used to be dwarves that were "uglified". For some reason, it seemed important to me for them to mention that to show that Lewis created them, but I guess he didn't.
So as far as I can recall, Marshwiggles are the only creatures in Narnia that are purely from Lewis's imagination, correct?
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 08, 2012 12:04 am

I learned about this a few years ago while researching Mythological Creatures! :p
And I thought it was so funny!
Its always fun to see where certain people may have gotten their inspiration from! :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Jul 09, 2012 12:48 am

This is interesting... I too thought they were just something he made up. I'll have to look into this more now. Thanks for the find Reepi!

I wonder what other "obscure" myths Lewis may have drawn from?
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Ah, yes. ;)) I once got it into my head that I wanted to study myths (with a focus in Greek) rather extensively one year, and had a good giggle when I found the monopods (and then had to show it to everyone in the house!). :P Personally, I think the Dufflepods are even more interesting since they were inspired by an old myth... makes them seem more real, somehow.
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 10, 2012 2:47 pm

It's funny to see even more sources Lewis used for his world. He really mixed together creatures from different mythologies - dwarfs from Norse mythology, Fauns, Satyrs, Centaurs and even Bacchus from Greek and Roman mythology, Father Christmas from what you might call Christian mythology - and now this!

I hadn't heard about it before reading it here. Good find!
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 10, 2012 5:00 pm

What a fascinating find! :-o I'm surprised we haven't heard of this before.

It's interesting that the myth concerning Monopods isn't more well-known. Mythology is such a popular subject, and everyone seems to know about centaurs, dwarves, minotaurs, and the like. But not too many people seem to know about Monopods. I bet a lot of people - even outside NarniaWeb - assumed it was Lewis's own creation. ;))

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Dinode » Jul 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Well, there wasn't a whole lot on them in the Wikipedia article, apparently there weren't many legends about them. Lewis's portrayal of them takes up half of the page. I had thought he had invented them too, oh well.
Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wild rose » Jul 13, 2012 5:20 am

Wow, I didn't know that, that is so neat. I guess I shouldn't be so suprised though, Lewis borrowed a lot from mythology, most of his creatures (that are not animals) are taken from mythology. But it is an interesting discovery, cause I, like so many others, was sure that he had made them up himself :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jul 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Pliny wrote:He [Ctesias] speaks also of another race of men, who are known as Monocoli, who have only one leg, but are able to leap with surprising agility. The same people are also called Sciapodae, because they are in the habit of lying on their backs, during the time of the extreme heat, and protect themselves from the sun by the shade of their feet.

That sounds like it came straight out of Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Reading these sorts of things just reminds me of how well read Lewis must have been. Bringing back an obscure mythological species and making them as memorable as he did was a stroke of genius.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next