This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Threesixty's Narnia Stage Production

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Threesixty's Narnia Stage Production

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jan 03, 2012 12:30 am

Theatre group threesixty has announced a new stage production of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe. Their website is online at: http://lionwitchtheshow.com/. Also see the story by NarniaFans: http://www.narniafans.com/archives/12414

As opening night draws near I'm sure we'll get much more information on this new show, which seems to be using every bit of stage magic it can muster to bring audiences a good performance.

This is a new stage adaptation and I'm glad, because I've read parts of other stage adaptations of Wardrobe and they tend to be a bit juvenile. The fact that writer/director Robert Goold likens Narnia to Shakespeare is a good sign.

Any thoughts on this show?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Threesixty's Narnia Stage Production

Postby wolfloversk » Jan 03, 2012 7:48 am

Well first thing to point out. They're using the movie font (or at least something very similar) in the logo :P

I wonder if they'll be influenced by the film at all or if it's based solely on the book.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby coracle » Jan 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Also see the trailer/advert in our news "Word on the Street" section!

I loved looking at the timelapse video of their tent venue going up - it's got steel supports on the outside which hold all their technical gear (including flying for their previous show; will they fly Aslan and the girls do you suppose?)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jan 03, 2012 3:22 pm

The show actually sounds and looks quite good and a lot better than some of the school plays I've seen clips of, and not just visually.

Perhaps Aslan will fly. I remember in the BBC version of Narnia, since the Aslan puppet couldn't run, they made Him fly instead. Well, He did take form of an albatross once that could fly, so why not fly with two children on your back? :p
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lion's Emblem » Jan 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Look pretty interesting. It's always exciting to see soemthing for LWW or Narnia. Hmm, I can't comment too much yet until some more information trickles in. It definitely looks like a show I would be interested in seeing though.

And having Aslan fly? Could be quite the possibility. This method might be easier (and appear more believable on stage) than having some sort of puppetry run across the stage, not to mention having to hold weight on its back. Might be used for flying creatures as well (a gryphon vs harpy battle perhaps? or am I thinking too film based? :) ).
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Jan 15, 2012 1:58 pm

I'd have to say i'm reasonably interested, though i wouldn't exactly classify myself as excited just yet.

On the one hand, since theatre productions of LWW aren't particularly rare or uncommon, there doesn't seem to be a great deal to get especially excited about, as this will be just another in a long line of LWW stage adaptations. The nature of theatre as a medium also means its never going to be considered as a definitive adaptation in the same way a movie would, nor is it likely to be as long-lasting in the public conscience as the imagery and interpretations established in the recent films has proved to be. So as a fan, its hard to get too invested in the build-up in the same way you would for a film.

Equally though, that same reason leads me to be fairly intrigued about the whole thing, since with the regularity of big theatre adaptations like this there would seem to be less pressure to get everything "right" and more room to be a little bit more adventurous and experimentalist with the source material, as its only ever going to be something of the moment, and not one for the ages as they say. Perhaps at times with the movies they felt overly pressurised to play things safe as they are dealing with timeless classics on a worldwide stage, but here with the focus of the world not so much on them, perhaps they may feel more able to be more creative and produce something a little bit more artistically credible than the walden movies were.

Anyway, I'll almost certainly go, if only since its nearby and i might as well, but i will definitely be interested to see what they come up with in the meantime. :)
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ForeverFan » Feb 03, 2012 4:55 pm

I just found out about this. It looks like it will be grand, certainly watching the production company's announcement video was exciting! I know it's a bit of a ways off, but to those who go, you must tell us how it was.
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby icarus » Apr 30, 2012 5:04 pm

So, this opens next week... Anyone else planning to go?

I should hopefully be going sometime this month or the next, just as soon as i can schedule a free weekend to do so. :)
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby King_Erlian » May 08, 2012 4:46 am

I might go in a couple of months (July/August), though it does seem pricey (but the ticket price may be typical for London). I'd have to set aside a day to do it to come down to London for the day on the train, most likely a Saturday.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glumpuddle » May 10, 2012 4:58 pm

David Suchet (who voiced Aslan for Focus on the Family's radio dramas) will voice Aslan again for Threesixty's stage production.

http://www.narniaweb.com/2012/05/david- ... lan-again/

I like the sound of his voice, but his delivery was easily the worst part of the FotF radio dramas. I hope he does better this time around.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby icarus » May 15, 2012 9:35 am

Tickets are booked for this Friday! :D Hopefully it should be good fun, and i'll try to post up a review of some sorts on here soon after :)

EDIT: Finished writing my review! It ended up being fairly long and spoilery in its details, so i posted it in a separate thread in case you don't want to know all the details before seeing it :)

Review:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5480

Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8122966@N0 ... 800362646/
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Sep 01, 2012 7:55 am

Show closes next weekend! If you haven't managed to check it out yet, there is only 9 days left! :)

http://web.lionwitchtheshow.com/home
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic