This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Got Questions? Find Answers!

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Re: Got Questions? Find Answers!

Postby flambeau » Oct 31, 2011 2:58 pm

@ Julie, those basic fonts that everyone hates actually didn't come with Gimp, they came with your computer; Gimp is just using your computer font folder by default. If you know where to locate that folder, you might be able to delete the ones you don't want, but I believe that they are mostly read-only files (the ones on my computer are anyways). On a PC, you should be able to find the font folder in the Control Panel. Good luck.

--- flambeau
"It. Doesn't. Have. To. Match."

President of the Manalive Conspiracy
Founder of Team Hoodie
Icon by me
flambeau
Moderator Emeritus
A Concerned Third Party

Postby Shastafan » Nov 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Lately, I've been having issues trying to upload style sets (or textures) from the computer and actually figure out a good place to put and be able to get them out and use them. Where's a good place to put texture sets, and where so you won't keep having issues with them? (In other words, maybe I just need another good explanation of importing them from the internet)

Thank you! :)
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian_at_heart » Nov 02, 2011 11:24 am

Shastafan wrote:Lately, I've been having issues trying to upload style sets (or textures) from the computer and actually figure out a good place to put and be able to get them out and use them. Where's a good place to put texture sets, and where so you won't keep having issues with them? (In other words, maybe I just need another good explanation of importing them from the internet)

I save all the texture sets I download to a folder in "Pictures" titled "Graphics Pictures". Within that is all the pictures I'm eventually going to make into graphics: stock photos, Narnia pictures, etc. organized into folders. I have one folder within that titled "Textures" and they all go in there. I have no problems finding them and opening them.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aslanisthebest » Nov 10, 2011 11:38 pm

I have a question: how do you experts cut out say, someone from a picture, and then put them on a textured background and make it look all neat and perfect? I've obviously only tried the select tool and that was...not wonderful, at best. I'm really anxious to hear feedback!! Thanks so much. :)
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby wolfloversk » Nov 11, 2011 8:04 am

@AitB I use the erase tool on Gimp and erase the background. Then I make another image underneath with the texture I want and flatten it.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby narnian_at_heart » Nov 11, 2011 7:01 pm

wolfloversk wrote:@AitB I use the erase tool on Gimp and erase the background. Then I make another image underneath with the texture I want and flatten it.

I use Gimp and I do this as well. Sometimes, I'll use the free select tool and crop most of the unwanted part out so I don't have to erase quite so much.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aslanisthebest » Nov 13, 2011 8:19 am

ohh, that makes more sense, Wolf and N_a_h!! I'll have to try that soon. Thanks so much! :)
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Adeona » Nov 13, 2011 4:57 pm

@ AitB: One way to do that is erasing, as N_a_H and Wolf have suggested. Something else you can try with GIMP, though, is using a layer mask (That's what tutorials mean when they say "Mask out the _________" Basically it gives you the same effect as erasing except you can go back later and add back in parts you end up wanting in the picture - it's not permanent erasing. That can be a big help! It would take me a while to explain, but check out this tutorial on the GIMP user manual. It's really pretty simple!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby wolfloversk » Nov 19, 2011 8:46 pm

I am having a problem on gimp. I have a scanned image that I want to paint over, however no matter what color I select, it always paints gray... Is there anyway for me to fix this?
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby flambeau » Nov 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Wolfy, my guess is that your image mode is set on Grayscale (which only allows you to work in shades of black and white). To fix it so it works with colors, go to Image>Mode, and select RGB.

Let me know if it still doesn't work.

--- flambeau

Founder of Team Hoodie
Icon by me
flambeau
Moderator Emeritus
A Concerned Third Party

Postby wolfloversk » Nov 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Ahah! Actually it was indexed, not grayscale, but that fixed it. Thanks flambeau :D
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Tarkheena » Dec 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Whenever I try to resize something on GIMP (making it smaller, not bigger), it gets kinda blurry/fuzzy. I try to sharpen it back up, but then it just looks grainy. :-\ Is there some setting or something I should change to fix this? Help, please! ;;)
avvie & sig by me

Team Hoodie!!!
Hoot Owl Of NarniaWeb
Tarkheena
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnian_at_heart » Dec 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Tarkheena wrote:Whenever I try to resize something on GIMP (making it smaller, not bigger), it gets kinda blurry/fuzzy. I try to sharpen it back up, but then it just looks grainy. :-\ Is there some setting or something I should change to fix this? Help, please! ;;)

That's really weird. I use GIMP and I've never had that problem. How are you resizing it? I go to Image>Scale Image>*insert pixel size I want*>Scale.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Tarkheena » Dec 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Yup, that's exactly the way I resize. It typically only blurs the image if I'm making it small enough for an avvie, but that's one of the main reasons I resize anything, so its annoying. :|
avvie & sig by me

Team Hoodie!!!
Hoot Owl Of NarniaWeb
Tarkheena
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aslanisthebest » Dec 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Thank-you so much for the tip and the link, Adeona. I've been wondering what the layer mask was, so I guess this will be a good time to find out. ;)) I will save the link and check it out, thank-you so much!

I have another question, related to GIMP. While on an animation tutorial, I saw that on gimp.org, they mentioned GAP-the gimp animation program, and I saw it can be downloaded onto gimp 2.6. Is it legally free to download, and if so, where can I find it? And, if all works out, will having GAP alter the normal graphic-making tool GIMP is? Thanks in advance. :)
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby flambeau » Dec 28, 2011 6:39 pm

Bella wrote:I have another question, related to GIMP. While on an animation tutorial, I saw that on gimp.org, they mentioned GAP-the gimp animation program, and I saw it can be downloaded onto gimp 2.6. Is it legally free to download, and if so, where can I find it?

Yes, it is legally free to download, and you can get the download link from this page on the official Gimp website (scroll down past where it says "Source for version 2.6." Click on the link after "GAP (the GIMP Animation Package) for GIMP 2.6 and above is available at... [link]").

And, if all works out, will having GAP alter the normal graphic-making tool GIMP is?

It shouldn't alter any of the normal Gimp functions, no.

Hope this helps! :)

--- flambeau

Founder of Team Hoodie
Icon by me
flambeau
Moderator Emeritus
A Concerned Third Party

PreviousNext