This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Will Walden make more Narnia movies????????

A place for unconfirmed news and whisperings.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, coracle

Re: Will Walden make more Narnia movies????????

Postby Anhun » Sep 05, 2011 6:14 am

So we have another unconfirmed report from a random Narniawebber. This one, says that s/he is in contact with Walden, rather than Gresham. The word is that Walden has shelved Narnia, rather than dropping it. They also say that they have "bigger projects" to work on.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Anhun, where did you see this?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Anhun » Sep 06, 2011 5:58 pm

The narniawebber is named Talvi and he/she posted under the lastest Narnia movie news.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Bigger projects than Narnia? /:) I doubt it. The only possibility that I can think of off-hand is The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

A quick internet search reveals The Bernstein Bears and The Family Circus as well, but nothing else that I would consider on par with Narnia.

I'm still awaiting some official word.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 07, 2011 3:34 am

Walden Media is advertising the release of one of its movies on DVD and Blu-ray. It is advertising that it has the rights to develop Flat Stanley, though I can't find this movie reference on IMDb, and it has announced the casting of Johnny Weston in Mavericks, which is apparently due to be filmed in 2012. Also, it is developing a film of Rex Libris, a comic book strip. I don't know how any of these movie ventures could be considered bigger than Narnia, though.

The Mavericks IMDb board was last updated on 31st August, the day after the VDT 3D release. But, so far, the Walden page hasn't been updated past 15th August. I did read that Talvi remark, and I would take it seriously, insofar that they haven't a sequel in the works right now. That doesn't mean they have shelved the idea indefinitely, though I can't be sure of that. I've been contemplating writing to them myself, however, I'd be posting from Australia.
I'd like to see something about the steps necessary before a film gets greenlit. Do we know this? And has it been on Narnia web news before?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 26, 2011 11:02 pm

I wrote some emphatic words in a post that can be read at the top of page 2 of this thread. Three months later, I'll say some of my confidence has waned, but I largely still agree with myself. There is only one thing that I've changed my mind on:

I no longer think that this is a battle of the wills about faithfulness of adaptation. Of course I think that Gresham is working for faithfulness to the story, but I also think that his working relationship with the other producers is too close for me to suggest that he would hold up the production for 9 months. It was a little arrogant on my part to suggest such a thing, which was based more on my own disappointment with Dawn Treader's adaptation than on any statement from Gresham himself, and I apologize.

I think perhaps we all haven't been sensitive enough to how Mr. Moore's passing has impacted the production. He was the driving force behind Wardrobe, and it would be fair to say he was a key player behind the entire Narnia series, including the future films which are yet to be made. It would be natural to expect a delay in production after the man behind the series passed away.

But seven months of delays? I think it would be daft to believe that there isn't more going on behind the scenes than we presently know, but of course we have no way of telling if this long wait for official news is nearly over, or only beginning.

Right now, I think it would be safe to say that the majority of Narnia fans believe the as-yet-unconfirmed rumor from June that Walden dropped the franchise. 3 months after the rumor was posted, I wonder: Is it safe to believe it now?

As far as the Narnia films are concerned, I think I'll always come down on the side of optimism as I read spoilers and news reports, but that said, at this point we still have no credible evidence that Walden has dropped the franchise. Thus, since nothing has been officially stated, I see no reason to believe the rumor and I trust that negotiations, and development of The Magician's Nephew is still ongoing.

Glumpuddle brings up an excellent point in saying that it is unlikely that Walden will make an official statement declaring that they have dropped Narnia. Thus, living in denial is probably silly after a reasonable amount of time has passed without news, but I still think, given the evidence before us, that it is too soon to give up on Walden. After all, "No news is good news" and the official word from Walden is still that they are hoping to (even enthusiastic about) continuing the Narnia series. After watching Michael Flaherty's discussion at the NRB convention I'd say he certainly sounds enthusiastic about, even proactive in, future Narnia movies. Paul Martin has spoken personally with the producers and they assure us that "negotiations can be both very long and very frustrating at times, but that these things are completely normal in the film industry." With that said, I think I'll continue to trust that Walden is interested in making these films, -at least, I'll believe for another two years or so.

Surely if Walden had decided to discontinue the franchise, they wouldn't have denied it when questioned. On the other-hand, Narniafans has recently reported a rumor that contradicts the one stating that Walden has no new Narnia films in development. Can we believe this new rumor? Probably about as much as the old one. Still, it is something that fills this incredibly long news drought, and it very well may be a catalyst for getting a few answers about what is really going on.

UPDATE:
I was right about one thing: Larry Richman's rumor that Fox and Walden had two Narnia films in development was a catalyst for getting some answers. This morning Tirian posted a news story explaining what caused the panic in June, and he also gives a fair projection of what we can expect in the future on Narnia films.
His story is quite illuminating and now we Narnia fans can start asking the right questions.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby D-T » Oct 01, 2011 5:53 pm

I think another company will pick up where Walden left off ;)

Anhun wrote:So we have another unconfirmed report from a random Narniawebber. This one, says that s/he is in contact with Walden, rather than Gresham. The word is that Walden has shelved Narnia, rather than dropping it. They also say that they have "bigger projects" to work on.

Cover-up! alllllll the way
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
D-T
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: My head is in the clouds, Im not really sure what the rest of me is doing...

Postby Movie Aristotle » Oct 01, 2011 11:13 pm

OK, so... just when we thought we knew something concrete...

NarniaFans has posted a story stating that they have evidence contradicting what Tirian has posted on the front page. Talk about a roller coaster.

So now it seems we are back to square one. Nobody seems to know what's going on.

http://www.narniafans.com/archives/12219

PS: I love his ending line: "And remember, as folks have pointed out in the comments, we still have the books our imaginations and each other."

I know that from following NarniaWeb for the past few years I have gained a few friends that I expect to continue corresponding with for quite some time. Whether or not there are future movies, at least I know that I will still have the pleasure of having made acquaintances with people I've met in the forums. :ymhug:
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby D-T » Oct 02, 2011 9:07 am

I guess nobody knows what the heck is going on, it could be year 4999
before we see the next movie! (and we'll all be dead so it won't matter!!)
ugh, I don't like saying this but I think VDT is the last Narnia movie. :(
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
D-T
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: My head is in the clouds, Im not really sure what the rest of me is doing...

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Oct 15, 2011 7:08 am

I hate being clueless! :P

there's an interview with Douglas Gresham today at 1pm EST!
http://news.mymiddle-earth.net/2011/10/ ... s-gresham/
maybe he'll tell us something! :D :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby PuddleCheep » Oct 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Heard the news from Mr. Gresham. Not another Narnia movie for another movie for 5 more years I guess. Unless when the rights are available to be bought, the company that buys it gets really excited about it and starts production immediately. That would be great!!

We have nothing, if not belief!
PuddleCheep
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Oct 15, 2011 1:01 pm

That's not that bad of a wait if you ask me.

It's just going to be like when Walden first picked up the rights in 2001(except a little longer). We will have to wait some time, but during that we can speculate and anticipate what we would like to and not like to see happen. We can discuss what we think the new films could do better than what Walden did with what they gave us.

It may seem a little strange to see a new cast outside of what we got with Walden's series to some, but don't worry, there are many young brilliant actors in the making right now. ;)

So now it seems to be obvious that Walden will not make anymore Narnia films, but are the Narnia films over with? I don't think so. Maybe there is still hope that the Narnia books can be adapted into something brilliant and different and get the attention it deserves.

Don't give up hope! Ever! :)
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Oct 17, 2011 11:01 pm

Louloudi the Centaur wrote:That's not that bad of a wait if you ask me. It's just going to be like when Walden first picked up the rights in 2001(except a little longer).

At least when Walden first picked up the rights in 2001, there was a slow trickle of news stories through out 2002-2003 that gave Narnia fans the comfort of knowing that movie production was in the works. This time around, we have to wait several years at the minimum before we get any news at all.

I don't know how long you've been involved in the anticipation, but for me even the time spent waiting for PC and VDT felt like forever. 5 years is a very large chunk of time...just think, Lou, you'll be an adult by then! ;))

The best solution seems to not focus on waiting or counting down the years. Just don't expect more Narnia films. Then one day we'll be pleasantly surprised. :P
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby juzuma loves lucy » Oct 18, 2011 10:29 am

Now we should calm down. They certainly will. But we know that something's going on already. 3-4 years and it'll be well. I don't agree, Mino. Lou is right, as she stated in her sig that we should pray for it. Have hope! Don't give up on it!
Lucy:Do you remember who really defeated the White Witch?
Peter: Yes.
Susan:No.
Lucy:Do you both believe in Narnia?
Narnians, Caspian and Edmund:We believe.
Susan and Peter:Shut up.
juzuma loves lucy
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Oct 18, 2011 1:48 pm

@Minotaur

I myself have only been anticipating the Walden Narnia film series since March 2010, first of all, so the wait hasn't been considerably that long to me. ;)

I think there will be little bits of news in between about little things that could be happening. Maybe Douglas Gresham or someone else representing the Estate will give us updates as to where they are now. I say this because I know that both the Estate and Gresham still want to see the books adapted for the silver screen. Not because of production do I think there will be news, but because they anticipate to see the books turned into films.

Yes, it may seem like forever before we see film news, but you never know. Yes Mino, I agree that we will be surprised, but how are we to know when? We will just have to wait and see what will happen. Maybe Walden will renew the contract(though I doubt it; I believe that they won't be adapting any more.). Maybe Disney will decide to make an animated TV series based on the books. Maybe New Line Cinema will make their own version of Narnia. I don't know.

The waiting begins...
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby D-T » Oct 22, 2011 7:43 am

Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock
AHHHH!! too long :p just kidding
can some one tell WB to pick up the Narnia movies??
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
D-T
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous