This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Will Walden make more Narnia movies????????

A place for unconfirmed news and whisperings.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, coracle

Re: Will Walden make more Narnia movies????????

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 31, 2011 6:55 pm

Yes, I did check and I did see that Jewel posted the information on July 21st. But when did she receive the letter? Before or after we found out that Walden has not dropped out of Narnia negotiations? I'm not saying anything more, than that on July 21st Jewel made a post of doom. Why isn't the doom being confirmed?

So far, the doom has been denied - by Walden. That is not to say there haven't been moments when Walden might have wanted to drop out. Sort of like a particularly volatile engagement.

It isn't really over until the wedding has been cancelled, the ring has been given back and the couple refuse to see each other any more. ;)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stateofgreen » Jul 31, 2011 10:51 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:Yes, I agree with you, State of green. And even if the discussion wasn't by email, but face to face....
Actually Wagga...I meant my comments to be directed at the posts between Coracle and Anhun. ;))

And yes....I hope Walden/Fox and The Lewis Estate either decide to "carry on with the wedding" or stop it altogether...they're halfway through the ceremony...they may as well finish! ;)

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 01, 2011 4:52 am

Well, I could understand the bride being a bit skittish, after being jilted at the altar on the previous occasion. ;) If Disney pulling out of VDT wasn't a red light announcement, and a fairly decisive one at that, I don't know what is.

Anhun wrote:Depends on whether you define success by income or profit. LWW is undeniably Walden's most successful film. However, if you look at the profits, Journey to the Center of the Earth, which cost a small fraction of the Narnia films' budgets, is actually more successful than PC or VDT.

As a matter of interest, when I looked at IMDb and at Box office mojo, I couldn't find any reference to a film called Journey to the Centre of the Earth being filmed by Walden. All I could find was the original 1959 movie which I did see at the time. And a 2008 movie put out by Warner/New Line, which earned the following figures:

Domestic: $101,704,370 42.0%
+ Foreign: $140,290,781 58.0%

= Worldwide: $241,995,151

It seems I am missing something here. This 2008 film did decidedly worse three years ago than VDT ever did. When did Walden make their own successful remake of this movie?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby 220chrisTian » Aug 01, 2011 9:16 pm

@wagga and stateofgreen: I love the wedding analogy! FYI: a Jewish wedding lasted one week [7 days]. We've got 4 "days" left! Come on, Walden!

@Wagga: scroll down that BOM page for "Journey." It says the franchise/brand is Walden Media. Yes, it made only $240M worldwide. But the production budget was only $60M! This movie raked in 4 times as much it cost to make! Did LWW do that well?
220chrisTian

Postby Nic5 » Aug 02, 2011 1:43 am

220chrisTian wrote:@Wagga: scroll down that BOM page for "Journey." It says the franchise/brand is Walden Media. Yes, it made only $240M worldwide. But the production budget was only $60M! This movie raked in 4 times as much it cost to make! Did LWW do that well?

It's possible that successes like "Journey" require alot more luck not of the film maker's making than the CoNs do. I havne't seen "Journey" but remember seeing the trailers alot at the movies when it came out - maybe there were some good movies on at that time and alot of people saw it, cause it seemed to coincide when i was at the cinema alot watching maybe the same or a few diff. movies in cinemas at that time - i just remember seeing that trailer lots at the cinema at a time when i was in a cinema going mode (can't remember what the movie(s) was/were though.
Nic5
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Aug 02, 2011 3:36 am

Sorry about the delay - I don't really want to be part of a big discussion, but I do know who got the original information and who the reliable source was. I don't know who Jewel is.
Narniaweb agreed to run the information but it seems to have been unfortunate timing - it might have been better for us to have waited for further information.

I am waiting to see the full statement from the Estate and Walden.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Aug 02, 2011 7:12 am

I am really getting anxious and confused to everything about this. :-? :-ss . When is NW hoping to get the statement?

I'm not really sure what to say at this point. I'm not trusting anyone or anything until we have proof. I'm not trusting a comment without info. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to Jewel, but I would just like to see proof before we keep jumping to conclusions.

How do we know it's not just a misunderstanding? It could be anything for all I know.

Well, all I think we can do is pray that things will be okay, I guess. :|
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Anhun » Aug 02, 2011 3:03 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:If Disney pulling out of VDT wasn't a red light announcement, and a fairly decisive one at that, I don't know what is.

How can it be a decisive red light if:
a.) They didn't even hold the rights.
b.) Walden and Fox were collaborating on VDT a mere month later?

Basically, when Disney pulled out the fate of VDT was where the fate of Narnia 4 is now . . . uncertain. If it was any sort of a light, it was a yellow light.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 03, 2011 4:50 am

I really hate to push the wedding analogy too far, /:) but I think it explains heaps about the current Narnia situation. In reference to the questions you ask:

1: @ Anhun: a.) They didn't even hold the rights.

Does it really matter who held the rights? In the case of PC, Walden and the CS Lewis estate were prepared to go ahead with VDT, then Disney pulled out, leaving them to scrabble around for another firm to officiate at the wedding party.

2. @ Anhun: b.) Walden and Fox were collaborating on VDT a mere month later?
This is where the wedding analogy comes into its own. OK, Disney ran off and Fox, like a sympathetic best man, stepped in to rescue the jilted bride. And so we got a VDT movie, like it or not.

A lot depends on which firm does what in a movie production. For the purposes of MN, I see Walden, in particular, as the blushing bride, :ymblushing: with the C.S.Lewis as a kind of nagging prospective father-in-law. :D The real trouble I have is this question: How does the likes of Fox, Warner Brothers, Walt Disney and Paramount get such prominence, not by holding the rights to a movie, but by handling the distribution? You were talking about Walden and Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Yes, when it was pointed out to me, Walden did have something to do with the production of this movie, but it is Warner/New Line which gets all the credit, not Walden.

I know that Fox did the marketing for VDT and it was Fox who supplied the $100,000,000 for that purpose. When the 3D DVD edition is released in America on August 30th, the logo of Fox will be on the marketed product, not Disney. Walden will be mentioned, but as an aside, not in first place.

I keep wondeing about the production costs. How much input did Fox have in those arrangements?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Anhun » Aug 03, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm not sure what your point is, but if you are trying to argue that Disney pulling out of VDT constituted a red light, then your argument is self-refuting.

waggawerewolf27 wrote: leaving them to scrabble around for another firm to officiate at the wedding party.

waggawerewolf27 wrote:And so we got a VDT movie, like it or not.

A red light means "Done. Finished. Stop writing us letters about who should play your favorite character and what scenes absolutely have to be in the film. The End."

If Disney had the power to red light VDT then their would be no "wedding" to officiate, and we would not have had a movie, like it or not.

The only official red light that I have ever heard of in the industry was for Star Wars Episode 7.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 04, 2011 1:36 am

I've never heard of Episode 7 of Star Wars, and that is odd considering that my middle daughter was a Star Wars fanatic. Was this film greenlit then stopped?

Meanwhile, at what stage was VDT at when Disney pulled out? Was it already greenlit? Or wasn't it? I am not convinced that Disney pulling out wasn't meant to say exactly what you did say in your quote:

A red light means "Done. Finished. Stop writing us letters about who should play your favorite character and what scenes absolutely have to be in the film. The End."

That is the sense we are using the term 'red light' in, of course, for want of a better one. :D A 'red light' district is an area of a city which deals with the "underworld" of that city, and is a no-go area for those who only subscribe to PG values. :)

If Disney's input and money isn't as important as Fox International's input and funding, why did Walden and the C.S.Lewis need to have either firm along whilst producing either PC or VDT? Was Disney a part of the Narnia production enterprise or wasn't it? And hasn't Disney's pulling out damaged VDT's likely success, whatever you thought of the film?

And getting back to the wedding ceremony, you can't have a wedding without a groom, which was originally meant to be Disney who said stop, we aren't giving you any more funds to waste, we don't want to be hitched to your enterprises.

That sounds like a red light to me - a no-go area in whatever context you use it. That Fox International stepped in to complete the project is just lucky. There is no stopping Fox International from doing a Disney repeat if it suits them to do so. And that is where Walden's difficulties lie with C.S.Lewis estate, I fear. Yes there is funding for Magician's Nephew available, according to Perry Moore who died earlier this year. Isn't it likely that such funding may fall short of expectations?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 11, 2011 3:33 am

A week later, I need to post to make some corrections to my post above.

Anhun wrote:The only official red light that I have ever heard of in the industry was for Star Wars Episode 7.

It was true that I wasn't aware of an episode 7 of Star Wars. But I did find this 2008 Star Wars movie on BOM and IMDb.

This was the results:

Domestic: $35,161,554 51.5%
+ Foreign: $33,121,290 48.5%

= Worldwide: $68,282,844

Makes PC and VDT look good, doesn't it? Especially as the Star Wars series was the success story we had before blockbuster series like LOTR and HP outshone them. In fact, this Star Wars episode, which started in the August after PC's release, finished in theatres the weekend the sixth HP film (Half-blood Prince) made its debut. Is this the film you meant, Anhun?

My investigations here and elsewhere suggest that VDT was indeed greenlit and that filming was scheduled to go ahead when Disney pulled out at Christmas 2008, due to a budgeting dispute with Walden.

Anyway, I'll just wait and see........ =;
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Anhun » Aug 12, 2011 2:53 pm

No, Clone Wars isn't episode seven, it's more like Episode 2.5. It's basically a same-universe series (the movie is based on a fairly popular cartoon) that takes place in between the events of Episode 2 and Episode 3.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby 220chrisTian » Aug 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Has anyone here seen Walden's (well Warner/New Line) "Journey to the center of the earth"? It was on TNT last night. The movie started out sanely. But by the time they reached "the center of the earth" after the first hour, it just became ridiculous. This was a terrible sci-fi film to me. It made the genre look idiotic. I felt idiotic for watching it, sometimes flipping the channel because of the plot's stupidity. The Narnia movies are the high-end of fantasy, much classier than "Journey"! VDT is a beautiful film by comparison! I can't believe this thing made $240million! /:)
220chrisTian

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Aug 19, 2011 2:07 pm

220chrisTian wrote:Has anyone here seen Walden's (well Warner/New Line) "Journey to the center of the earth"? It was on TNT last night. The movie started out sanely... it just became ridiculous. This was a terrible sci-fi film to me. It made the genre look idiotic. I felt idiotic for watching it, sometimes flipping the channel because of the plot's stupidity. The Narnia movies are the high-end of fantasy, much classier than "Journey"! VDT is a beautiful film by comparison! I can't believe this thing made $240million! /:)

This is why I think Walden should do at least one more Narnia film. In fifth grade, we watched this movie, and even though I was only 10 years old at the time, even I felt it was very stupid and disgraceful to the the author of the book! I can't believe that was even adapted by the same company that adapted Narnia to the big screen. At least VDT felt, to me anyway, reminiscent to the book. Besides, it was at least a better film than it. And another thing that upsets me is that on Rotten Tomatoes, JttCotE has a score of 61%, and VDT has a score of only 49% the last time I checked.

I thought VDT was a much better family film than quite a few of them nowadays. I can't believe that Yogi Bear made as much as VDT domestically just because of marketing, and now it is sadly getting a sequel. Do some research before you see a film. At least VDT got mixed reviews, which is better than the panning reviews that Yogi got. Why is it always the bad films that do better?

Now I'll admit I am no where near the most knowledge filled about Narnia, movie making, or anything, here is what I now think.If Walden cared for family films and the families watching them, I think they will do another Narnia film. Even if it were a bad adaption, I would definitely watch a Narnia film over another Yogi Bear or The Smurfs. At least Narnia has a good moral in each film, even some that we might not notice the first viewing. I certainly did. Yogi Bear and Journey to the Center of the Earth definitely had nothing memorable or original. I repeat. Walden Media, if you care about families and the films they watch, do another Narnia film.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Movie Aristotle » Aug 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Journey made big returns at the box office, thus it gets a sequel. (Part of the reason it made big money was because it was a 3D film before 3D was cliche.)

One hint about Journey: It isn't meant to be taken seriously. The reason people like it is because it is a lighthearted comedy, not because it is a realistic sci-fi. :p

Journey is a lot like Walden's earlier foray into Verne territory: Around the World in 80 Days, -a comic take on an old classic. (Journey is the better of the two.)

Anyway, back to the matter at hand: I predict that if Walden does give an official green light, it will be soon after the 3D blu-ray release. -Which will be available in just a few minutes actually. Everybody keep your eyes pealed for some news tomorrow.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext