This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Got Questions? Find Answers! (The Costume Version)

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Got Questions? Find Answers! (The Costume Version)

Postby Lady Éowyn » Sep 05, 2010 5:16 pm

You've been to the M&J Trim website, checkers? They have an identical trim, but they don't have the right color in stock. I haven't seen the right color in stock in a long time, actually. If you want to settle for a different color, the blue is not bad, or the green for sale here.

Costumer's Guide has a note on this trim on the Firefly page... someone actually found the trim at a Jo-Ann Fabrics once. It's been a while since then, but you might check and see if there's a store near you.
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Adeona » Sep 14, 2010 12:22 am

If I'm making my own pattern from scratch (Lucy's VDT vest), do you suggest I make an extra copy and sew it together as if it were fabric, to make sure it works? I've never made my own clothing patterns before. Any tips about this sort of thing would be appreciated!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 14, 2010 8:22 am

Yes, you should Adeona. :)

You should make sure the fabric is the same weight as what you intend to use, because that can make a difference in the fit as well. (Which I believe is your intention?)

If you don't want to make it twice, you can make your vest with extra large seam allowances and try it on inside out and pin it to size. Then baste your seams and try it on to make sure it looks okay on the outside. Then sew the seam with a smaller size stitch and trim the seams.

If you can have a sister or someone help you, that's always a plus.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby MagnificentKing » Nov 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Ok i am looking for a crown hopefully similar to Lucy's it does not have to be identical but something with lots of elegance and grace that is not to overstated. I do not know if anyone can help me out but any advice would be most helpful. ~ Mara Wolbane
~High King
MagnificentKing
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby violetfirekrazed » Nov 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi Mara!!! I might be able to help you.... there's this helpful thing here: http://www.thelionscall.com/crafts/lucys_crown.cfm
I don't know if you have any silver smithing knowledge, but if you DO, then you're all set :)
If you don't.... I'm sorry, but I don't know of anything. I've looked and haven't really been able to find anythinnn....oh WAIT! Wallmart had some circlets in their wedding section! You might wanna check there!! :D

~VFK~
violetfirekrazed
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Adeona » Nov 26, 2010 11:34 pm

Question regarding Lucy's red VDT tunic:

From what we've seen, what is ya'll's opinion: is Lucy's tunic lined or not? This might be considered a silly question, but in the Wardrobe Door post on this costume, I did not see anything about a lining. I've never seen one on the photos...
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Nov 27, 2010 7:54 am

My best guess is that it is not lined.

I'm trying to remember if there is a seam between the main part of the vest and the little caps over the sleeves or not--if there is, I would line that little piece with the same fabric so that you have a clean edge there instead of folding the edge over and stitching it down. (You can see the line of gold thread about a quarter inch away from the neckline and hem etc.) If there isn't a seam, I'm tempted make one and do it that way anyway. :p

I hope that explanation makes sense...
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Adeona » Nov 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks, it does make sense! :)

I've been looking at a lot of pictures recently, and there isn't a seam there. I think the shoulder seam starts mid-neck and cuts diagonally backwards towards the back of the shoulder - in this picture. Do you agree? :-\ I haven't really found any other photos where I can see that seam, which makes things tough!
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Nov 27, 2010 3:55 pm

Ah. Now that I've looked at a couple more pictures I can see that it looks like all one piece over the shoulder. So maybe I'd just serge or zigzag all the edges and then turn it under and stitch it down and add the piping to the edge. Somehow.

I do agree that there is a sloping shoulder seam behind the shoulder. Here is, I think, more evidence of it. :)

Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Adeona » Nov 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Oh, I can see it! Thanks for the tips and the greatly helpful photo!
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Susan's_look_a_like » Apr 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Does any one know of a pattern I could use for Susan's cuirass she wears in PC? I was thinking of drafting my own if I can't find one, which might be the best bet, but I would prefer to use a pattern.
Like Narnia? Read Reading with the Heart: the Way into Narnia
d(^_^)b
Sig & avie: Checkers
Susan's_look_a_like
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DaughterofEve1792 » Apr 22, 2011 5:42 pm

I don't know if this would work or not Lookalike, but here's my find as far as patterns go. =) Its a pattern for corsets.

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m4861-p ... age_id=493

And, my question is, now that the VDT movie is out and that HomeoftheNutty website has the whole movie screencapped, can we expect an update in the Wardrobe Door anytime soon? =) I love referring to the site for my projects!
DaughterofEve1792
NarniaWeb Nut

Lucy's Red Jerkin and Pirate Shirt

Postby jillpole1 » Oct 22, 2011 8:58 pm

So, for an event at my church we are all dressing up, and I'm going to be Lucy in her Dawn Treader outfit! I already have the pants, the boots, and some things that look... lets say.. I'm wearing a white long sleeved shirt, with a little vest underneath just for the fancy collar, and a red t-shirt as the jerkin... soo.. it looks really... odd. I was wondering if any of you know of a Jerkin that looks simaler to Lucy's, and possibly a white pirate shirt that looks like hers. If so, PLEASE put a link bellow, I would really appreciate it!
Thank you!!
~Jill
NW siblings: TheDwarfMan, TheGentleWarrior
NW Cousin: Weirdo

Avvie by: RubyGamgee - Signature by: Tarkheena
jillpole1
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Meltintalle » Oct 23, 2011 10:29 am

That sounds like a lot of fun, jillpole1!

You might want to look at the links in this post

and you can see Adeona's version here

I know coracle modified a shirt for her version of the tunic but I can't seem to find her post. :(
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby coracle » Oct 23, 2011 1:36 pm

I used a pirate/18th century shirt from a bought pattern - it's huge, and I would make a smaller version of the pieces before I used it again. But I intended it to be useable for others (part of my costume collection).

The shirt Mel is referring to is an imitation velvet/cord one I bought from a secondhand shop a few years ago to use the sleeves for my Lucy/PC outfit. I still had the rest of the shirt, so I cut off the collar and cut a neckline to match the jerkin. It was big enough and there were enough buttons to make double-breasted, so I did button holes for both ways of fastening (L and R overlap). Lastly I did a simple zig zag around all the edges using gold thread.
Over it I wore a belt with my plastic dagger pushed through, and wore dark blue trousers tucked into my brown flat boots.

If you can go to a charity shop and find a shirt of a suitable colour, you could cut it to shape and size, sew on some brass buttons, and wear a belt over it. Your tee shirt, if you can sacrifice it and it's big enough, could be cut down too - a v neck and some buttons sewn on.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Fire Fairy » Aug 19, 2012 1:01 am

Does anybody know of a good jeweler who would be willing to make a replica of Lucy's crown? (And won't make me go bankrupt... #:-s ) I would really love to wear a replica of her crown for my wedding, so I don't want something homemade. I've seen the page on The Lion's Call, and I've taken a look at the pictures on Jasmine Watson's website. I have no smithing experience, so if anybody could direct me to somebody who could do that for me I would be most grateful. :ymhug:
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext