This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Michael Apted to return for the next Narnia movie?

A place for unconfirmed news and whisperings.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, coracle

Michael Apted to return for the next Narnia movie?

Postby fantasia » Nov 22, 2010 10:49 am

I can't help but notice in all of these recent interviews, that while Michael Apted hasn't said he's going to return for whatever Narnia movie they decide to film next, he also hasn't said that he won't return. Which I find very interesting.

Obviously my final opinion on whether or not I want him to return depends on whether or not I like VDT, but what I've seen so far for the most part I like quite a bit, and as of right now, I'd be thrilled for Michael Apted to return.

What do you all think?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: Michael Apted to return for the next Narnia movie?

Postby wolfloversk » Nov 22, 2010 11:05 am

I'd be happy I think, all though I'd have to see VDT first. I'd be equally happy if Adamson came back too, but if they were to do SC and MN simultaneously, I'd prefer Apted with MN and Adamson with SC. But I wouldn't mind if someone else filmed it as long as its close to their heart and they have a good vision for the movie.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby aragorn2 » Nov 22, 2010 1:40 pm

when the 3rd trailer first came out I was really mad and I didn't want Apted back for SC but since then I have cooled and with all the positive reviews the movie has been getting from NarniaWebbers I think I would like for him to come back, though anyone who can get it right would be welcome by me :)
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 23, 2010 2:24 pm

I did ask Michael Apted about directing another Narnia Movie at the Beverly Center Friday, November 12th. I'm pretty sure I was specific about the Silver Chair but I can't here my own question on my little digital recorder. :-o

But I can hear his answer and it is that it took 3.5 years for him to start and finish VDT and that he doesn't know how much time there is left to do things. I took this as due to his age (69) and maybe he is thinking of retiring soon. He appears to be in very good health and shape for his age.

But all that experience really pays off. Look at director Cecil B. DeMille's age when he directed his largest and most successful production released in 1956:
IMDB Trivia for 'The Ten Commandements' wrote:Producer/Director Cecil B. DeMille reached 75 years of age during the production of this film, making him the oldest working Hollywood director. He later suffered a heart-attack on the set, returning to the set only two days later. After this was completed, he planned on another epic production. He died in 1959, before he could direct or produce another, making this his final film.

DeMille did have health issues but nowadays people are living longer and are healthier at that age. So if VDT is successful and I like it, I wouldn't mind if Michael Apted came back for another Narnia movie. :ymapplause:
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Ithilwen » Nov 28, 2010 10:01 pm

Didn't Mark Johnson say that he would get a different director for each Narnia film?

I'll have to see VDT before I can form any kind of opinion on him...

I was very sorry to lose Andrew Adamson as director... hopefully he'll come back to do a few movies.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Nov 29, 2010 3:26 pm

I hope he returns! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby starkat » Mar 03, 2011 10:48 am

Bumping this thread up. :)
starkat

Postby PeterCharn » Mar 03, 2011 3:45 pm

I hope that he doens't return. I would like Adamson or some new blood.
PeterCharn
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Shastafan » Mar 03, 2011 4:53 pm

I don't have anything too wrong with Apted, but I agree that I don't really want him to come back. I don't think he's a bad director, because I've heard a lot of good things about "Amazing Grace." But the Narnia books don't really seem to be something he really understands well (I may be wrong), and unless he made another Narnia film that actually was a great adaption, I don't see him doing well at adapting these books.

I wouldn't mind Adamson coming back (if he was willing and really interested in making an awesome adaption), and if there's a director out there with a strong passion and yet wisdom for creating a Narnia movie out there, I'm more than willing to give him a try ( :) ), but as for Apted, I doubt I'd be very happy if he came back.
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby GlimGlum » Mar 04, 2011 12:10 pm

GlimGlum wrote:So if VDT is successful and I like it, I wouldn't mind if Michael Apted came back for another Narnia movie. :ymapplause:

I've since changed my mind after reading some of his comments in this news story from December 7th. Michael Apted Voices Concern Over Narnia’s Future

I don't think he should come back nor will he; although I did like VDT as an escapist-Saturday-matinee kind of entertainment. Narnia needs a director who believes in the books and doesn't believe major revisions of and additions to the stories are necessary to make the films. (IMHO).
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 04, 2011 1:16 pm

That article you linked to doesn't seem to be available any more, GlimGlum. Reading the associated NarniaWeb article certainly suggests to me, though, that whilst doing VDT Apted did have SC in mind, and would probably agree to do that movie, having set up VDT to do SC. It certainly doesn't suggest he would want to do a MN movie in any case.

However, I believe that Michael Apted won't be available for any Narnia filming anyway in 2012 or late 2011 since he will be due to make the next 7 up series. This will be 56 up. Given that he has followed this bunch of children all the way since 1964, when 7 up was first made, I expect this will be the final one in that series. By the time the original children will reach 63 they will be thinking about retirement, :( and the only thing interesting by the time 70 comes around is to see how many are still alive and well. That is, if Apted is still around himself.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Narnia_Fan12 » Mar 04, 2011 7:53 pm

I talked with Michael on this subject here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgmaRZ1g0aM

He said he'd like to return.

I'm not sure if he will, personally.
Narnia_Fan12
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby puddleglum32 » Mar 05, 2011 6:15 pm

I dont think he should.They should get Andrew Adamson. I say that because he adapted the books to the movies very good. Nothing against michael, but he didnt really do a good job on directing the movie.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Shy Galadriel » Mar 08, 2011 4:38 pm

I want Adamson Back, as bad as he mistook ideas from the books, he did a lot better job than Apted. Sigh... :( I had such high hopes. I would prefer Adamson; but I think we're all hoping in our heart of hearts that Jackson will do it :D . (Hey, I can dream, can't I? ;) )
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby IvaN » Mar 09, 2011 5:55 am

Shy Galadriel wrote:I want Adamson Back

So do I! His movies about Narnia have something great what's difficult to explain, but it's lack is notable when he's out. :(

Apted is an outstanding director, and I like VDT very much, but... I want Adamson back in Narnia!
IvaN
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Rilian The Disenchanted » Mar 09, 2011 7:24 am

I want Apted to return for Silver Chair, because it seems they are tieing those 2 films together with some common plot. Adamson should do Horse And His Boy, he's really good and experienced in battle scenes after Prince Caspian. So Magician's Nephew, probably the next one, Adamson would be okay as long as he doesn't make a battlefield of London (just a chase sequence with the White Witch is more than enough).
Rilian The Disenchanted
NarniaWeb Nut

Next