This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ideas for The Magician's Nephew

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Ideas for The Magician's Nephew

Postby outlier » Feb 28, 2011 7:09 pm

Reepicheep775 wrote:I actually think it would be neat if the audience didn't know who Digory was until the end. Everything would all fall into place at once.

On that note, I think it'd be cool if after the whole tale is over, you start to hear Digory/Professor Kirke narrate to Lucy in her pj’s from the end of LWW (almost as if they just came from the room when he says “best to keep our eyes open” or something like that)… but it’s really doubtful that this would happen cuz they would have had to shot that part back when LWW was still in production
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby puddleglum32 » Feb 28, 2011 7:27 pm

I wish you actually knew who Digory was at the beginning of the movie.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wolfloversk » Feb 28, 2011 8:05 pm

outlier wrote:On that note, I think it'd be cool if after the whole tale is over, you start to hear Digory/Professor Kirke narrate to Lucy in her pj’s from the end of LWW (almost as if they just came from the room when he says “best to keep our eyes open” or something like that)… but it’s really doubtful that this would happen cuz they would have had to shot that part back when LWW was still in production

Hmmm.... CGI Lucy anyone? :P

Ok seriously, I do hope they tie it all together at the end somehow... I think the flashback idea is a pretty cool one actually.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Reepicheep775 » Mar 01, 2011 9:44 am

Umbarto, I think you misunderstood my post. I said The Magician's Nephew is in dire need of a new script-writing/directing team. ;)
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Umbarto » Mar 01, 2011 10:52 am

In my defense, Reepicheep, you did say amen to a new director, but I am right in saying you agree about the need for new writers, right?
‘Then rightly you game the name to the youngest of your children,’ said Ambarussa, ‘and Umbarto “the Fated” was its true form.’ –The Shibboleth of Fëanor.
Umbarto
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby ChristProclamer » Mar 01, 2011 10:56 am

outlier, what you said was pretty much what I had in mind at first, until I recalled that Georgie is 16 now, not 8, so...bummer. :( I was thinking MN would start at the end of LWW, when Lucy takes the Professor's hand and they walk away from the wardrobe together; and then maybe he'd take her to the kitchen for hot chocolate and he'd explain what it all meant and why he, too had already tried to get into Narnia.

Maybe Polly could tell the story whilst on the way to the Professor's, and then at the end she arrives and we find him in the Spare Room with the wardrobe?

And I agree with a lot of you; new scriptwriters, for sure. VDT had some sweet moments which I suspect are due to new writer Michael Petroni; if that's the case, he can stay. But the clumsy dialogue and sloppy plotting of Marcus and McFeely really need to go by now. They had their good moments, and they had their bad ones.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Anfinwen » Mar 01, 2011 11:28 am

How hard could it be to have at least a short flash back (or flash forward which ever you want to call it)? If you have a little girl in the same pjs, with her back to the camera, with short dark hair, and if the camera focuses more on the Professor telling the story, it should work. Although the story is technically supposed to start out from Polly's point of view.

I am really excited about MN. There are so many things hinted at in the other movies (mostly LWW) that a great deal of the stuff from the book has to be in the movie. For example, there is a lamp post in LWW, so there must be a crossbar from the lamp post thrown in Narnia, which means there should be a really strong witch in England, which means she has to come from somewhere else (besides Narnia). Also in LWW there is a wardrobe with a tree on the front in a really big house, so, there there must be a tree planted (in England) which is destroyed, an apple core, a sick mother, a tree in the middle of a garden in Narnia, and a rich old uncle who leaves Digeory's father an inheritance.

All things considered the outlook is very positive.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby GlimGlum » Mar 01, 2011 1:48 pm

What comes to mind at the moment that I would like to see and done really well:

I would like to see the vastness of Charn portrayed

Uncle Andrew planted and cared for as a tree :D

Maybe even a flashback showing Jadis use "The Deplorable Word"

The fight at the lamppost

Digory giving the Silver Apple to his Mother

The Creation of Narnia

Fledge sprouting his wings

Aunt Letty confronting Jadis :-o
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Trufflehunter » Mar 01, 2011 1:56 pm

As far as relating MN to LWW. Remember, the wardrobe itself is actually carved with pictures from MN. The tree, and apple, Jadis, etc.
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Reepicheep775 » Mar 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Umbarto wrote:In my defense, Reepicheep, you did say amen to a new director, but I am right in saying you agree about the need for new writers, right?

Yes, you're right. I think it was me who got mixed up actually. Sorry for the confusion.;))
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Fire Fairy » Mar 01, 2011 9:24 pm

I have to say that if anything, they have to get the creation right. That scene has the potential to be beautiful and moving and breathtaking. And the music has so much potential, too. Especially since Lewis described the music! If they leave out the music, I will be very disappointed. The movie-makers will definitely be hard-pressed to get this scene right.

Other scenes I want to see are the Flight over Narnia on Fledge, the garden scene (another delicate scene that must be done right), the planting of the tree of protection, the separation of the talking animals from the dumb beasts, Uncle Andrew being planted as a tree, and the coronation of King Frank and Queen Helen.

I really hope they treat MN much more carefully than they did VDT. I agree that they need new writers, as well as a new director.

Nobody shoot me for this, but I've wondered what would happen if Hayao Miyazaki did the Narnia series. He definitely knows how to handle fantasy, and most of his movies are absolutely breathtaking. He also knows how to adapt a book well, as shown in his adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle. He also loves flying scenes and showing the importance of being one with nature. The only thing that would potentially be a problem is that he's a pacifist and would probably make the movies anti-war. And I don't know if I'd be able to get over a Japanese-style Narnia.... Still, he has a magic of his own that would be compatible with Lewis's Narnia. Just a thought....
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Bookwyrm » Mar 01, 2011 10:00 pm

While I don't think you could call Lewis a pacifist, the CoN certainly does display something of the ugly side of warfare. The Deplorable Word in MN comes to mind especially. I don't think there's anything in MN that could be outright ruined just because the director is a pacifist.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 02, 2011 3:16 am

Fire Fairy wrote:I have to say that if anything, they have to get the creation right. That scene has the potential to be beautiful and moving and breathtaking. And the music has so much potential, too. Especially since Lewis described the music! If they leave out the music, I will be very disappointed. The movie-makers will definitely be hard-pressed to get this scene right.

Walt Disney just released on BluRay DVD an anniversary edition of Fantasia. Now in this musical compilation something similar was attempted. They put the formation of the Earth to music, but broke it up with a conductor with an orchestra.

I agree this part of MN should be handled with considerable sensitivity, and yes, it really has to be musical, with soprano or very tingly choral singing for the stars etc. I want to see a lyrical and poetic version that emphasizes the wonder of birth and creation. Probably the FX and CGI for this movie sequence will be the most expensive part of MN.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Anfinwen » Mar 02, 2011 10:21 am

I agree with GlimGlum on things I really want to see in the movie with a few add-ons. One is the Hall of Images with all of the beautiful clothes and Jadis waking up.
The other thing I desperately want to see is at the end when Aslan sends them back to their own world. Aslan says:
It is not certain that some wicked one of your race will not find out a secret as evil as the Deplorable Word and use it to destroy all living things. And soon, very soon, before you are an old man and an old woman, great nations in your world will be ruled by tyrants who care no more for joy and justice and mercy than the Empress Jadis.

This part of the book gives me chills, and I always imagined footage from the world wars playing before my eyes. This reference to history is so powerful. Maybe I'm the only one, but especially at the part about the secret I imagine a bright flash and a big mushroom cloud. Atomic weapons were secrets that countries tried to keep each other from finding out for a long time. The wrong people might have misused it.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Reepicheep775 » Mar 02, 2011 1:18 pm

I had forgotten about that line! I agree it is a powerful one and I hope they put it in the movie.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby PeterCharn » Mar 02, 2011 6:49 pm

I think it is important for all the die hard fans to know that the 1. creation of Narnia and 2. Charn are likely going to be down played significantly for budgetary reasons. I understand this and wont be mad. I am only asking for a much better script and more relatable characters (better development of each character's journey).
PeterCharn
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext