This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Edmund - Skandar Keynes

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Edmund - Skandar Keynes

Postby eustacegirl » Jan 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Edmund still seemed better than he was in LWW. I love how he humbly bowed down to Aslan and cried. You cna tell he remembered what Aslan did for him and how easily he forgave EUstace. He and Caspian forgave each other after the Goldwater scene. He was actually nicer to EUstace than BBC Edmund or even book Edmund.
eustacegirl
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Glumpuddle » Jan 21, 2011 6:12 pm

In Lucy's bedroom at the beginning, Edmund says something like "we're the youngest, no one needs us." Then, at the end, he deciders he wants to go home because "they need us."

Any guesses why Edmund changes his mind? I was really confused.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby georgiefan1 » Jan 21, 2011 6:21 pm

glumPuddle, He's grown up through the experience in Narnia, he understands more. leaving Narnia then when he went into it
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian Heart » Jan 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Both times I watched the film, I did like Edmund well enough while watching. It's only after I came home and mulled over the characterization that I grew frustrated, disappointed, and sad.

While reading Mere Christianity's chapter "Counting the Cost", I gathered that Lewis' ideal theology was that as we grow in our walk with God, Jesus is continually transforming us into a mirror image of God as we allow Him to. That as we yield ourselves to the Lord and allow Him to transform us, sins we struggled with one or two or five or ten years ago have less and less of a hold on us. That doesn't mean we won't have individual temptations with those things, it just means that we don't struggle so much with those sins and they won't rule our lives. We'll be freer to be the people God is calling us to be.

In Wardrobe, Edmund's sin is usually typed as gluttony over the Turkish Delight, but that is only the surface sin. He was struggling with a lust for power since he resented Peter for bossing him around. He wanted desperately to be a king and have power. One of the most amazing things about Ed's redemptive arc isn't that he loses his desire to rule after speaking with Aslan, but I think that Aslan's love transforms Edmund's desire to rule from a selfish one into a selfless one. Edmund goes from wanting to boss people around for his own gain to being the "just" king--the one who was wise and known for sound counsel. I imagine the subjects of Narnia asking his advice on important matters. Not only did Aslan take a sin and get rid of it, he transformed that part of Edmund into a strong point.

I was writing my thoughts on this a week or so ago, and I came upon a thought. Goodness isn't the suppression of evil, but rather the eradication of it. In order to be sons of God, we must first lose our identity as sons of the world. Being good does not mean suppressing sin within ourselves--the sin must be completely removed before we can truly be good. I absolutely loved Edmund's arc in Prince Caspian because it seemed that his experience in LWW had really changed him. The evil and lust for power in his heart had been eradicated and he had been made new.

Basically, the opening scene, Deathwater, and the appearence of the witch make me think that Edmund is not only being tempted, he's struggling with a problem with power. Again. In the book, I always saw Deathwater as Edmund's loathing for injustice. He always speaks his mind and when someone says or does something he thinks unfair, he speaks up. He felt that Caspian was being unfair and so he spoke out. I do think he fell into sin because he did it in too strong of a tone, but I don't think it was because he was experiencing some huge problem with power. At the end of the book, we see him once again confront Caspian, this time in a more level-headed way. Edmund is in no way perfect and I do think he may sometimes be tempted to use his authority as king in the wrong sense, but he does not have a problem with power-lust. This is something he dealt with in LWW.

The Dawn Treader film ruins Ed's development in PC by saying he was simply suppressing his desire for power. He never even really deals with it fully in VDT. What happened to his redemption? I would be OK with the change if it wasn't for the fact that I think Lewis was trying to write something of role models with the characters. They aren't perfect, but they work through their problems in a determined way and always improve with each story. I don't see Edmund being in anyway better from PC to VDT. I just see him being far less mature or wise. :(
-Lillian
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."-Galileo
Narnian Heart
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 22, 2011 8:00 am

glumPuddle: like georgiefan1 said, Edmund's grown up. he's learned from his experiences in Narnia.
his comment at the beginning about them not being wanted made me think of my relationship with my oldest brother. he lives far away from me and we visited him recently. he pretty much ignored me and I wrote it off as "He doesn't need me anymore."
Edmund and Lucy feel like they've been dumped at the Scrubb's because they don't matter. but then they go to Narnia and see that they do matter and that Aslan is always with them and that they really do love their family and their family really loves them and their family needs them.
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby aragorn2 » Jan 22, 2011 9:11 am

Glumpuddle said,
In Lucy's bedroom at the beginning, Edmund says something like "we're the youngest, no one needs us."

What he said was "we don't matter as much" or something like that, not no one needs us.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Glumpuddle » Jan 22, 2011 12:23 pm

georgiefan1 wrote:glumPuddle, He's grown up through the experience in Narnia, he understands more. leaving Narnia then when he went into it

...What is it he understands now? Why does he think he is needed? Why didn't he think he was needed before? What are some scenes during the movie that contributed to him learning that his family does need him?
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby fireheart209 » Jan 22, 2011 1:17 pm

I agree with you glumPuddle, its very vague as to why Edmund is now OK with going back to England. I strongly disliked Peter's arc in PC, but it made sense in and of itself. The night raid was a catalyst in changing his "we don't need Aslan" attitude and he changed his actions accordingly. It seems as if Edmund's arc comes to a head at Deathwater, but I'm not sure how that related to his feelings of worthlessness in Engalnd. The only thing I can see him learning from Deathwater is that fighting with a friend over material wealth is not the way to get what you want.

I think it just comes down to the rushed feeling of the movie. There just wasn't time to develop anybody's story the way it should have been in so short a movie so we are left just accepting that Edmund changed his attitude about his place in England.
fireheart209
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Narnian Heart » Jan 22, 2011 2:45 pm

I felt that Edmund's line pertaining to not being needed was mostly sarcastic. That's how "they" view the younger children. It doesn't necessarily mean that is how Edmund views himself and Lucy. As for the line at the end of the film, it's harder to explain. Perhaps through the course of the film his frustration with the current family arrangement is diminished. He doesn't feel sarcastic or bitter about being at the Scrubb's house anymore. And so he says that "they need them"--his true feelings from the start. But rather than being bitter about being younger and left behind, he accepts his place in the family with a sense of humility he didn't have in the beginning.

The whole characterization point is kinda cheesy but I guess it seems at least a bit logical to me.
-Lillian
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."-Galileo
Narnian Heart
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby 220chrisTian » Jan 22, 2011 4:01 pm

@eustace: I love your thoughts on movie Edmund, especially this: "I love how he humbly bowed down to Aslan and cried. You can tell he remembered what Aslan did for him and how easily he forgave Eustace." I have yet to see the movie, so this scene sounds beautiful and encouraging. We know how little Edmund (and Skandar) cried in LWW. I think Skandar himself has grown up emotionally and that's reflected in both PC and VDT. :)
220chrisTian

Postby PeterCharn » Jan 25, 2011 11:28 am

glumPuddle wrote:In Lucy's bedroom at the beginning, Edmund says something like "we're the youngest, no one needs us." Then, at the end, he deciders he wants to go home because "they need us."

Any guesses why Edmund changes his mind? I was really confused.

I think that at the beginning of the movie Edmund and Lucy were feeling sorry for themselves and maybe not looking at the whole picture of things. They were probably feeling jealous of Susan and Peter too.

They were thinking about how they weren't getting along with their cousin, instead of realizing that there was a war going on and that their father was doing that and Peter was away at school.

I think that edmund's time in Narnia made him put his situation into perspective and be more understanding of why he had to stay at his cousin's.

I really hope that edmund gets a part in The Silver Chair. I like that susan got some screen time and I would love if Edmund could get that much in the next movie.
PeterCharn
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Elanor » Jan 25, 2011 11:47 am

totally agreed, PeterCharn! I loved that Susan and Peter got at a little screen time, and I really hope they'll show Edmund and Lucy in Silver Chair. I think they will! :)
*echo's Christian* Love Eusy's thoughts on that! :)
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 25, 2011 8:35 pm

I think Edmund and Lucy will have cameos in SC.
here's why:

in the end of VotDT, just as they get back from Narnia, you hear Mrs. Scrubb say, "Eustace! Jill Pole has dropped in for a visit."
then they go downstairs. so Edmund and Lucy would have already met Jill Pole. and Eustace says at the end of VotDT that Edmund and Lucy stayed until after the war. so they were there for quite some time. :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby PeterCharn » Jan 26, 2011 6:54 am

Liberty Hoffman wrote:I think Edmund and Lucy will have cameos in SC.
here's why:

in the end of VotDT, just as they get back from Narnia, you hear Mrs. Scrubb say, "Eustace! Jill Pole has dropped in for a visit."
then they go downstairs. so Edmund and Lucy would have already met Jill Pole. and Eustace says at the end of VotDT that Edmund and Lucy stayed until after the war. so they were there for quite some time. :D

Do you think that to keep continuity between VDT and SC they will have Jil and Eustace go to Narnia while Lucy and Edmund are still staying there at Eustace's house?

Of the four Pevensies, I am the saddest that Edmund will no longer be a lead in the series (unless HBB gets made and he will have a prominent supporting role).

Do you think that Edmund and Lucy will be going to the same school as Eustace in the Silver Chair?
PeterCharn
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby georgiefan1 » Jan 26, 2011 8:18 am

I dont think they will go to the same school.... and I would think they wouldn't make Edmund and Luct still at Eustace's house when SC happens, the last monolouge of VDT just dpesnt help that idea for me

I would love to see Skandar and Georgie come back in a cameo! They deserve it, they've done such a good job, and if Anna and Will get a cameo in VDT why shouldn't they in SC!!
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Shastafan » Jan 26, 2011 4:17 pm

I wouldn't actually be suprised (or care much) if Edmund and Lucy went to the Experiment House. It would maybe even be nice! After all, Edmund and Lucy are still stuck with the Scrubbs for a few more years, so I think Harold and Alberta could easily choose putting all three in the same place (whether the Pevensie parents like that or not). :D

As for the two appearing at all in SC, that I would love! Maybe it's not necessary, but I think it would be cool and fun! The only places I could see them having cameos though is at the beginning and end of SC (which pretty much means the Experiment House to me). And also, I adore the idea of Jill being friends with them, so I hope this'll happen! ;)
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext