This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Extra Characters in 3D version?

A place for unconfirmed news and whisperings.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, coracle

Extra Characters in 3D version?

Postby Movie Aristotle » Oct 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Today's headline in the Word on the Street section is "Rumor: New Characters in 3D Version." You can read about it here:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/narniaweb/combined/~3/NPe-bkF6-o8/

Basically, Harry from Ain't it Cool News says: "I’ve heard rumors of characters you’ll only SEE in the 3D version of the film."

I can see two possible meanings in this sentence:

1. They are going to add in extra characters (like Dufflepuds) to the 3D version, possibly for the purpose of jumping at the audience.

2. They will have CG characters that will only be visible in 3D.

Personally, I thought of answer #2 first. The water nymph in the international trailer was hard to see. I wonder if she'll be much easier to see in 3D. I can just imagine watching an underwater shot in 2D and seeing nothing but clear ocean, but then going to the 3D version and suddenly seeing a translucent figure swimming around. The added perspective would suddenly render the invisible creature visible. I think this would be amazing and am definitely for it! It is a nice was of using 3D without being gimmicky. It's a subtle way of enhancing the story. It's thinking outside of the box as far as 3D is concerned. I love it! :ymhug:

It reminds me of how Robert Zemeckis used 3D to drastically enhance the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come in last year's A Christmas Carol. If this is the sort of thing they are doing, I approve. B-)

But, if they actually mean #1, then I'm less enthused. It shows that this film is going commercial with the 3D and they are simply adding a few tricks to thrill the 3D audience. It is much less artistic, but at the very least this pretty much puts an end to our fears that the 2D film will be seriously negatively effected by the 3D version. I could see Apted being upset about VDT in 3D, so as a concession (and as a slick marketing ploy) he decides to make two different versions of the film so that his original vision for the film remains intact AND the studio gets their 3D thrills. That might be what happened. :-\

Either way, if this rumor is true, it looks like good news for Narnia fans.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Extra Characters in 3D version?

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Oct 10, 2010 11:58 am

um, well, it might be cool, but it might be cheesy. I mean, would these characters just randomly pop out of the screen at you?
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Movie Aristotle » Oct 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Libby! I'm in shock! That's the first remotely negative comment I've ever seen you make! :-o :p

I don't think these characters would necessarily have to pop out of the screen. Only if theory #1 is correct.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslans Country » Oct 14, 2010 5:19 am

:-o Libby! What has the world come to? :p

I took this as meaning that there would be an increased number of characters (eg. Dufflepuds, like you said) that would be there for the purpose of showing off 3D effects.
I don't really understand what the point of having characters that would only be visible in 3D would be - you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference unless you watched both versions. As for enhancing characters, I can see that a bit more.

Either way.. I'm not really interested in seeing it in 3D, and will be perfectly content with my 2D version, minus added characters, thank you very much. ;)
Avie by flambeau.

"I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm.. I don’t care where you've fallen, where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends, it never ends."
-Times, Tenth Avenue North
Aslans Country
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Oct 14, 2010 11:47 am

Movie Aristotle: does it count also that i said that i think 3D movies are cheesy and I won't be planning on seeing VotDT in 3D? :P
um, in 3D don't things pop out? so why would these characters be exempt?
either way, it makes no real difference to me as I won't be watching the 3D version anyway :) :)

Aslans Country: lol the world will still spin. I can live without 3D movies..... :D

lol
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Ithilwen » Oct 14, 2010 6:14 pm

I think that if the rumor is true, it'll be the first theory. The water nymph may have been hard to see, but she was visible. I've never seen the trailer in 3D, and yet I have seen her. Characters that are only visible in 3D might be a difficult thing. I think the first theory makes much more sense, and seems more like something Hollywood would do.
I'm not too sad about it, since I plan on seeing the movie in 3D anyway. It is a shame that it wont be on the DVD, though. (We wont be able to make graphics of those extra characters! :-o :(( )

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Movie Aristotle » Oct 14, 2010 10:17 pm

In the 2D version of A Christmas Carol, The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come was simply a shadow that fell on various surfaces. In the 3D version he was a character, a presence, a person in the room.

In the trailers for VDT we've seen glimpses of the water nymphs, but I get the idea that in 3D these ladies will be much easier to see. I think scenario #2 is more likely simply because Apted does not sound like the kind of director who would agree to scenario #1.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ithilwen » Oct 15, 2010 12:28 am

Movie Aristotle wrote:I think scenario #2 is more likely simply because Apted does not sound like the kind of director who would agree to scenario #1.

They might not have needed him to agree to it, though. After all, he didn't agree to it being in 3D in the first place, yet it is. The 3D is being added in Post-production, and he might not have much control of what happens there. The person in charge of post might agree with scenario #1, and have it put it in...

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Dinode » Nov 04, 2010 8:11 pm

I think there is a scenario #3, at a 2D angle we can't see a character but in 3D the extra camera allows us to get a glimpse of what's behind some obstruction. Then there's option #4, that this guy has no idea what he's talking about :p .
Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Jan 13, 2011 6:31 pm

When I saw the movie in 3D, I didn't notice any additional characters or background elements from the 2D version. Did anyone else?
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby outlier » Jan 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Nope. Didn't see anything different...
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jan 13, 2011 11:45 pm

I first noticed a long shot of the water nymphs by the Dawn Treader (after Eustace & Reep's sword fight) while watching the film in 3D. They are noticeable in 2D, but not as obvious as in 3D.

Also, the constellation of Aslan's Face is clearly visible in 3D, but barely visible in 2D.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie