This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Most terrifying creature summoned by the White Witch in LWW

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which beast summoned by the White Witch was most frightening?

Giants
5%
Werewolves
5%
Ghouls
14%
Boggles
14%
Ogres
5%
Minotaurs
5%
Cruels
18%
Hags
14%
Spectres
9%
Other
14%

Total votes : 22

Most terrifying creature summoned by the White Witch in LWW

Postby Stylteralmaldo » Sep 09, 2017 8:08 am

In LWW the white witch summons a number of terrifying creatures in preparation to sacrifice Edmund.

Which of those foul beasts in your view was most fearsome and why?

My nickname emoji: :@)

...Let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity,...with instruction about ablutions, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. (Hebrews 6:1-2)
Stylteralmaldo
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Bloodlines Guru

Re: Most terrifying creature summoned by the White Witch in LWW

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 09, 2017 7:25 pm

I think the "spectre" was the creepiest to read. Something about it seemed not quite corporeal. Of the creatures that made it into the movie, I found the harpies/were-bats the scariest onscreen.

Interestingly, you'll note if you read both of the lists from the book, several species of baddy never made it to the silver screen. I believe the "spectre" is one of them.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnia fan 7 » Sep 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Probably the Hags, they've always seemed off putting to me, someone really creep and sickening about them. Though thats more from the film then the book. But since the saw the film first that's how I imagine them.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Sep 11, 2017 7:33 am

I ticked them all, as they all sound very scary!

I can't decide between them, but maybe the boggles, spectres, ghouls, werewolves and minotaurs are scariest - somehow they have the ability to scare badly, either by supernatural aspect or by physical force. The ogres and giants somehow don't feel quite so bad, but they probably are.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 11, 2017 6:29 pm

I just read this question to my brother and he answered "other creatures whom I won't describe because if I did the grown-ups would probably not let you read this book."
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 11, 2017 7:44 pm

Fair point, Movie Aristotle, so I ticked that box. Of the other three I had ticked, they were the cruels, because of the obvious cruel intent, the ghouls because of the association with man's selfish inhumanity to man, and the boggles which boggles my mind.

With my username how could I possibly tick a werewolf? :-o Frankly, that is a most hackneyed concept which would probably howl to the full moon shining on the White Witch's monster union if it was left out of the usual lineup. Especially after Sabine Baring-Gould wrote a whole book about werewolves and other sorts of ghostly dogs. J.K. Rowling decided that lycanthropy, that is to say, the condition of being one, was a disease inflicted on werewolves which caused them considerable pain. And I'd rather eat lettuce and get entangled in a tea strainer, in a Wagga Wagga telephone box, than read any of the Twilight series. I rather think that C.S.Lewis only included werewolves because wolves are real wild creatures, related though they are distantly to the ordinary domestic dog, some breeds of which are just as fearsome as wolves when owners use them for attack and intimidation.

As for hags, unfortunately, long before we reach old womanhood, it is all too often that one gets insulted by the term by rude, inconsiderate misogynists, which is probably intended to drive the victim into enough of a rage to want to earn the pejorative epithet by screeching like a banshee, which probably isn't even in the list. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm

I ticked "other." The "People of the Toadstools" just seemed eerily toxic to me. . .
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod