This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Warning: This is a very strange house

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Warning: This is a very strange house

Postby Stylteralmaldo » Aug 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Lewis describes the house the Pevensies were staying in LWW as being very strange and that even he knew little about it.

Makes me wonder if there were plans (perhaps just thoughts, nothing formal) to take that storyline further than he ultimately did.

Anyone ever wonder what other strange occurances that took place at the house for it to garner such a reputation?

My nickname emoji: :@)

...Let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity,...with instruction about ablutions, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. (Hebrews 6:1-2)
Stylteralmaldo
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Bloodlines Guru

Re: Warning: This is a very strange house

Postby coracle » Aug 31, 2017 5:18 am

My guess is that Lewis was thinking of some of the odd things in houses he had lived in, especially as a child. Some older houses have misleading turns, uneven floors and out-of-alignment doors and windows, or cupboards that look like doors etc.
His famous comment appears on the introductions to some of the Narnia books, "I am a product of long corridors, empty sunlit rooms, upstairs indoor silences, attics explored in solitude, distant noises of gurgling cisterns and pipes, and the noise of wind under the tiles."

I am also reminded of a comment I heard Doug Gresham make when talking about his first visit to The Kilns - "I had the room with the ghost". This turned out to be weird noises from the pipes!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie