This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnian World - round or flat?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: Narnian World - round or flat?

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Yeah, I don't know what to make of that. . . it's interesting, but Lewis was also VERY clear that Lucy had blonde hair, although Baynes' always gave her black hair.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Glumpuddle » Oct 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Okay, in all seriousness... I don't think there's any reason to let that illustration affect your opinion on the matter in the slightest. I'm sure Baynes was just adding little details of things that might appear on a ship and didn't bother to re-read the first 3 books cover to cover one more time to make absolutely sure there was nothing in the text to contradict the idea of a small globe being present on the Dawn Treader.

I also suspect Lewis included the idea of Narnia being flat without much concern for scientific plausibility and 100% watertight internal consistency. And I have no problem with that. Somehow, the fact that it's hard to completely make sense out of it, and that the book never definitively states that Narnia IS flat... only makes me love the idea more.

... That said, it's probably a lot more fun to accept the illustration as canon and try to come up with SOME kind of explanation. Nevermind! Disregard this post!
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby jewel » Dec 12, 2016 4:27 pm

It's round. There's a helpful picture in Companion to Narrnia.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous