This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Help Needed: Essay on CS Lewis and Narnia

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Help Needed: Essay on CS Lewis and Narnia

Postby adamie » May 26, 2015 8:36 am

I'm a student of English literature at the University of Antwerp, and so is my girlfriend. As an assignment, She to write a paper on the use of christian themes and symbolism in C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. While we are fans of the series ourselves, and she would be able to write this paper easily, She has to find sources that back up her claims, as the assignment is to investigate what has already been said in the academic field.

She only found one article online, since most writing on the subject happened before the digital age, and is only available in books and journal collections. I requested several of these articles in my uni's library for her several weeks ago, but their system has been facing difficulties and they cannot meet their high demands, which means my girlfriend probably won't be able to meet her deadline, failing the course.

I figured that, maybe among you Tolkien fans, there might be some C.S. Lewis fans as well, who have access to some articles relevant to this topic, and could send those articles to me. 2 or 3 articles would be enough to help her finish her paper. If you have any relevant files on your pc, or know of any other way to help, please contact me by e-mail: adamdens@hotmail.com

Thank you so much in advance!

A worried boyfriend,
Adam
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Help Needed: Essay on CS Lewis and Narnia

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 26, 2015 10:39 pm

It doesn't hurt to take a look at some of the other C.S.Lewis books such as Mere Christianity, Surprised by Joy and the Great Divorce. Other literature such as the Screwtape Letters, 'Till we have faces or some of his WW2 radio broadcasts. Whilst your university library may have copies of some of these items, you could also look at what else the library has, such as some of the C.S.Lewis' biographies, critical works on his literature, and some of those written by his detractors as well. Such as the Atheistic Philip Pullman's opinions about C.S.Lewis. You may also need to be familiar with the Christian themes C.S.Lewis used in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

I suspect that there may be other Internet sources you haven't thought about. After all, NarniaWeb is not the only fan site for C.S.Lewis on Internet, as good as it is. One particular short story, written by Neil Gaiman (who wrote Coraline), is the trouble with Susan which I think can be read on Internet. This essay explores how Susan might have failed to grasp the meaning of the Christian themes in Lion, Witch and Wardrobe.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Re: Help Needed: Essay on CS Lewis and Narnia

Postby coracle » May 27, 2015 2:02 am

Adam, if you are a university student I suspect you have not looked online very thoroughly.
If you did, you would find "Into The Wardrobe", considered to be the best website on C.S. Lewis.
http://cslewis.drzeus.net/faq/ - here is the FAQ page which the owner said is the best place to start.
(For the question of symbolism and Christian themes, his first suggestion was always to read the book well first.)

By the way, did you mean to refer to us as Tolkien fans on a Narnia site?
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie