This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Really Neat Biblical Tie-In To LWW

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Really Neat Biblical Tie-In To LWW

Postby Future Narnian » Oct 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Remember how after Aslan rises again, He talks about the Deeper Magic from the dawn of time? I don't remember the exact wording but it's something about how the White Witch's knowledge only goes back TO the dawn of time and if she went back further she would know that if a willing victim who had committed no treachery gave their life in a traitor's stead, the Stone Table would crack and death itself would start working backwards. Well, last night while reading my Bible, I came across this passage in 1 Corinthians Ch. 2 v. 6-8:

"We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not he wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory."

I've always noticed the direct Biblical symbolism in the Chronicles, especially LWW, but to see a direct reference to a verse like this is so awesome. I know there's a list in one of the Narnian Companions of other verses that have been incorporated into the Chronicles, but I didn't see this one on it, so I wanted to share.
Future Narnian
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Really Neat Biblical Tie-In To LWW

Postby coracle » Oct 30, 2014 1:25 am

Oh that's lovely! Thank you for sharing that.

I now want to try to find some more! B-)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby johobbit » Oct 30, 2014 8:32 am

That is beautiful, Future Narnian. Thank you! I, too, find that the more I read the Chronicles, the correlations to the Christian Gospel are so prevalent ... and very precious and meaningful, which is not surprising, as the author's worldview will naturally flow into their writing (or whatever creative expression they present). B-)
johobbit

Postby Lilygloves » Jan 05, 2015 11:33 pm

That's a great verse! I'm definitely going to underline it in my Bible. I love seeing the connections between the Bible and the books through the themes, but it's even better when you come across a verse that sounds a lot like inspiration for Lewis.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Anfinwen » Feb 13, 2015 9:03 am

Here are a few scriptures I found that might have inspired C.S. Lewis. Perhaps he was not actually thinking of these verses as he penned the books, but he may have added these familiar themes without really thinking about it.

Job 38:6-7 Speaking of the creation of the world: "When the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy"
When I read this I immediately thought of MN, just before Aslan speaks. "Far overhead from beyond the veil of blue sky which hid them, the stars sang again; a pure, cold, difficult, music."

Nahum 3:1-3 reminds me of Jadis' story of the end of Charn. "Woe to the bloody city! it is all full of lies and robbery; the prey departeth not; The noise of a whip, and the noise of the rattling of the wheels, and of the prancing horses, and of the jumping chariots. The horseman lifteth up both the bright sword and the glittering spear: and there is a multitude of slain, and a great number of carcasses…"

In Exodus 24:12, Exodus 31:18, Deut. 4:13, Deut. 5:22, and other verses the 10 Commandments are called tables of stone. The comparison struck me as more than coincidental. The 10 Commandments are the basic laws and principals that the world is founded on and that man must live by. The stone table (see LWW chapter 13) also has the things that make up the basis of that world written on it.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut