This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Edmund's Character Arc

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Edmund's Character Arc

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 17, 2014 2:57 pm

I was thinking about this the other day, and it strikes me that Edmund is an unusual character in several ways. How many downright nasty characters turn around--no, better make that acknowledge their faults--and change? How are they treated by their peers afterward?

One of my favorite things is that Edmund is given the love and trust of his siblings, and that they don't go rubbing his nose in what he once did. It's not that what he did is conveniently forgotten for the sake of future sibling shenanigans, either. But if I remember correctly it is always Edmund who brings it up and tries to make a point with it.

What's your favorite part of Edmund's story?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Re: Edmund's Character Arc

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jul 17, 2014 3:55 pm

My favourite part of Edmund's journey is the king he becomes during the Golden Age. In LWW, Lewis describes King Edmund the Just as "a graver and quieter man than Peter, and great in council and judgment." I just love that description, because, to me, it shows that even though Edmund has been redeemed, what he went through with the White Witch has shaped him. As a child Edmund was not grave and quiet - he was spiteful and spoke with little thought of consequences or the effects of his words. When Edmund discovered his nature for what it is through his experiences with the White Witch and then Aslan, it sobered him and he takes a more serious and reflective view of life (I thought the PC movie did a great job at portraying this version of Edmund btw). It also makes sense that Edmund would be a good judge, because he has had intimate experiences with evil and he would better understand evil actions and those who commit them than the other children.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby aileth » Jul 17, 2014 5:01 pm

There are several spots that stand out; the most prominent one for me is Edmund's meeting with Eustace immediately after the undragoning. He was the right one to help Eustace understand the significance of what he had gone through. Can you imagine the pre-LWW Edmund being any use to anyone in that situation?

His humility and readiness to admit his past in order to encourage his cousin, his strong statement of who Aslan was to him, his general understanding attitude, all show what a grace-filled character he had become.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Ryadian » Jul 17, 2014 6:47 pm

^ I also love that moment. :) Despite the fact that Edmund had been just as irritated (and embarrassed, since it was his cousin) by Eustace's behavior, he was the first to forgive him for it. I also appreciate how Edmund is sure to have this conversation privately, and asks Eustace before they go talk to the others, once again showing how understanding he is of what Eustace must be feeling. :)

Reepicheep775 wrote:It also makes sense that Edmund would be a good judge, because he has had intimate experiences with evil and he would better understand evil actions and those who commit them than the other children.

This occurred to me recently, as well. :) Not only does Edmund make a good judge because he understand evil more intimately, but also because he understands mercy.

I also really like the moment in Prince Caspian, when they're voting on whether or not to go up or down the gorge, following Lucy seeing Aslan. Edmund is the only one in the group--the only one of Lucy's siblings--who's willing to vote with her, reflecting both on his own past mistakes, as well as establishing faith in Lucy and in Aslan. The reflection from the first book, and the fact that he takes the exact opposite action that he did the first time, speaks highly of how much he has changed as a character. :)

This isn't exactly a moment, but--another thing I like about Edmund's character development is that, even though he becomes a much nicer and more understanding person, that doesn't mean he's entirely above snarky comments and behavior from time to time. ;)) His redemption changes him considerably, but overall he's still the same character, he just tones it down a bit. ;)
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 18, 2014 4:50 am

Yes, I agree that Edmund changed a great deal throughout the series. I really liked his depiction in the film PC, where he was given a bit more to do than in the book. The same applies in VDT, though the snarky Edmund there was a bit disappointing in comparison to the book.

I never understood, even reading the book, why after his big adventures in LWW and PC, King Edmund had to be in VDT at all. Maybe it was because he had to learn to be kinder to his cousin Eustace, or was it because of some other reason? How did he contribute to the voyage, I wonder, apart from his relationship with Eustace?

And Edward was in two more books: HHB & LB. In both we see the grown up Edward. What does everyone think of Edward in Tashbaan in HHB when he first meets Shasta? Or escaping from Tashbaan and relieving the siege of Anvard? In LB, what I notice most about both him and Lucy, is that neither say anything much at all, especially about Susan.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jul 18, 2014 8:26 am

@Ryadian and aileth: Those are great moments! Come to think of it, I think Edmund is my favourite of the Pevensies.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ryadian » Jul 18, 2014 10:11 am

waggawerewolf27 wrote:I really liked his depiction in the film PC, where he was given a bit more to do than in the book. The same applies in VDT, though the snarky Edmund there was a bit disappointing in comparison to the book.

Given that this is the movie version of VDT, though... was there anything not disappointing in that movie? ;))

waggawerewolf27 wrote:I never understood, even reading the book, why after his big adventures in LWW and PC, King Edmund had to be in VDT at all. Maybe it was because he had to learn to be kinder to his cousin Eustace, or was it because of some other reason? How did he contribute to the voyage, I wonder, apart from his relationship with Eustace?

I've never really thought about it before, but now that I do... I wonder if, in addition to what you said, it was as much for everyone else's benefit as his own. After all, as has been discussed already, Edmund was the one to talk to Eustace after his undragoning, and having been in a similar situation in the past, he was able to best help Eustace figure things out, as well as explain Aslan's role in it. Also, his presence would've been sorely missed if Lucy was the only one around to deal with Eustace before his undragoning.

Besides that, of the four Pevensies, I think Edmund and Lucy have the closest connection to Narnia--Lucy both because she discovered it first and because of her closeness to Aslan, and Edmund because that's where his redemption happened, and he changed so much. I think, more than Peter and Susan, they both needed more closure, one last adventure for them to realize that they'd grown as much as they could in Narnia.

Reepicheep775 wrote:Come to think of it, I think Edmund is my favourite of the Pevensies.

I don't want to have to choose between him and Lucy, but... I think I agree with you. :P There's just so much to his character!
Ryadian

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 22, 2014 10:54 am

wagga wrote:In LB, what I notice most about both him and Lucy, is that neither say anything much at all, especially about Susan.

I saw some interesting speculation floating around on the internet on that bit; the poster's theory was that while the others are expressing their disappointment at Susan's current attitude, the siblings aren't speaking up because they're still hoping that Susan will come round in the end.

It's a read that balances between diplomacy and the betrayal they're probably feeling.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 22, 2014 9:00 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:In LB, what I notice most about both him and Lucy, is that neither say anything much at all, especially about Susan.

In addition to Mel's comments, it wouldn't surprise me if the business with Susan was especially painful for Edmund and Lucy to talk about because they had both been affected by someone denying Narnia before. Edmund, who had denied the existence of Narnia before his sister purely out of spite, and Lucy, who had been on the receiving end of this cruel display. It's not surprising that the whole thing would be very unpleasant for them in light of their own history with this sort of thing, and you would have hoped that Susan would have known better... it just goes to show you how far she had fallen at that point.

Of course, as Mel said, their familiarity with people denying Narnia and yet still knowing that "even a traitor may mend" may have made them all the more likely to remain silent and continue to hope that Susan will come around.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 23, 2014 3:50 am

Ryadian wrote:Besides that, of the four Pevensies, I think Edmund and Lucy have the closest connection to Narnia--Lucy both because she discovered it first and because of her closeness to Aslan, and Edmund because that's where his redemption happened, and he changed so much. I think, more than Peter and Susan, they both needed more closure, one last adventure for them to realize that they'd grown as much as they could in Narnia.

I think you could be right. I liked what you said also that Edmund was in VDT as much for everyone else's sake as for his own. He'd been the one to back up Lucy, the one in VDT to help Eustace and also he had to be there for Caspian as well. The difference between Edmund in book VDT and film VDT is that in book VDT he was the one to correct Caspian whereas in the film it is turned around and it is Edmund who is the one who is most tempted.

I don't agree with the film that Edmund would be tempted by Goldwater, though I could see the human urges behind it. It is easier to see Caspian's point of view and his concern for his own country. Perhaps why Edmund was there and Eustace, too, was that they were all in the same boat, which happened to be the Dawn Treader.

Meltintalle wrote:I saw some interesting speculation floating around on the internet on that bit; the poster's theory was that while the others are expressing their disappointment at Susan's current attitude, the siblings aren't speaking up because they're still hoping that Susan will come round in the end.

It's a read that balances between diplomacy and the betrayal they're probably feeling.

That is a really insightful look at that LB scene. Perhaps it also is a clue that C.S.Lewis did not suggest for one second that Susan might not ever join them eventually in their new lives together.

Rose-tree Dryad wrote:Edmund, who had denied the existence of Narnia before his sister purely out of spite, and Lucy, who had been on the receiving end of this ... display. It's not surprising that the whole thing would be very unpleasant for them in light of their own history with this sort of thing, and you would have hoped that Susan would have known better... it just goes to show you how far she had fallen at that point.

Possibly it would be unpleasant for both Edmund and Lucy. And Susan's not knowing any better is at the core of why there was so much fuss over that particular scene. But then they both knew Susan better than any of the others in that little meeting, even their brother Peter. Edmund and Lucy had been the ones who had watched Susan's back when Edmund and Susan had gone to Tashbaan. Lucy had stayed at home to sound the alarm when Chervy the stag arrived with Shasta's message. And it was Lucy who rode with Edmund back to Anvard, collecting Shasta on the way.

I've always had a feeling that Lucy and Edmund knew Susan only too well, and there were events we aren't told about in LB which might explain why Susan took the attitude she did. Arguably she was still an immature 13 year old girl at heart in HHB. But that business about Rabadash, when Susan was allegedly a grown woman, suggests to me she had a lot to forget if she could. It might even explain her fearfulness in PC, and why she, unlike Edmund, did not want to back up Lucy.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 23, 2014 4:53 am

Wagga wrote:I don't agree with the film that Edmund would be tempted by Goldwater, though I could see the human urges behind it

But Ed is tempted at Deathwater in the books as well. In so much that Aslan has to appear and break up the argument between he and Caspian. I actually think that that's a really important moment in the "Edmund character arc."

It's really the first time we see him tempted over anything since his Turkish Delight days, and I think it is a reminder that no matter how much we grow, we will always face trials and temptations. The type of temptation may change over time, but the root of the tree is still there.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Ryadian » Jul 27, 2014 12:30 pm

An aspect of the argument between Caspian and Edmund at Deathwater that I find interesting is that they aren't arguing over the gold itself, per se. The argument is just as much about which one of them truly has authority in this matter, given that they're both kings. (So, ironically, the movies sort of got this one right--though it was supposed to only be for this one scene, instead of a good part of PC as well. :P ) I find it interesting that, although this is hardly either Caspian or Edmund's finest moment, they're really both trying to establish that they are still Kings of Narnia, and that they still have authority. It speaks to what their priorities are--and, as DiGs pointed out, it calls back to the last time Edmund was tempted, since what interested him at that time was also becoming a king so he could have authority over others.

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:It's really the first time we see him tempted over anything since his Turkish Delight days, and I think it is a reminder that no matter how much we grow, we will always face trials and temptations. The type of temptation may change over time, but the root of the tree is still there.

I agree, and I think it's an important reminder. Along the same lines, even Lucy gets involved in the argument, and resorts to stereotyping this as "dealing with boys" and name-calling. It's a moment of weakness for all of them.
Ryadian

Postby HelenP » Sep 10, 2014 2:41 am

I think there are some little clues to Edmund's overall character before his rescue from the White Witch.

First, he obviously has a chip on his shoulder possibly from his position in the family - too young to be with Peter and Susan and not wanting to spend time with his "baby" sister. He obviously envies Peter's position as the eldest and I suspect secretly wants to be like his big brother but knows he never can be.
Second, Peter makes reference to Edmund at school, picking on smaller boys.
Third, Edmund knows deep down that the White Witch is bad but squashes this knowledge because of his resentment of the others.
Fourth, his sympathy with the merry party round the table and his attempt to stop the Witch turning them into stone.

I think there is a strong similarity with Eustace's cure - the "old skin" being removed. Edmund has grown a sort of hard carapace round his true self - one of spitefulness and jealousy. This leads him to commit the worst crime of all, betraying his own siblings to the murderous intentions of the the White Witch. He obviously doesn't see the full consequences of betrayal, he just thinks they'll be brought down a peg or two and when he does realise, it's too late. Edmund's "skin" is gradually eroded and his true honest and valiant self emerges. I bet the talk with Aslan is all about his feelings about Peter and the rest and how he can live the rest of his life.

Thoughts?
Helen
HelenP
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Future Narnian » Oct 31, 2014 12:21 pm

I always hated that we never got to read his and Aslan's talk. Yes in real life, those things are nobody else's business and we shouldn't know anyone's business but our own. But when we're reading, everything it's all our business! LOL

And it probably wasn't our business either when Lucy talked to Aslan in PC during the night, but Lewis didn't have a problem sharing that <g>
Future Narnian
NarniaWeb Regular