This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

If Douglas Gresham is in favour of chronological order...

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

If Douglas Gresham is in favour of chronological order...

Postby PhelanVelvel » May 24, 2014 11:11 am

I'm wondering, why would he consent to having publication order in both the radio drama and the films, if he really thinks that order is inferior? From what I've read online, it seems that he is of the opinion that Lewis wanted people to experience Narnia in the chronological order, but every medium besides the books is done in publication order... Does anyone know why that is? Does he just not want to go back on what he said and change the book order now that he's said Lewis wanted them one way?
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: If Douglas Gresham is in favour of chronological order...

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » May 24, 2014 2:56 pm

That would be a great question to ask Gresham in an interview! I wonder if he had wanted the movies to kick off with The Magician's Nephew, but settled for LWW instead because the filmmakers felt that it was a better move in terms of cinematic appeal and name recognition? (I think they made the right choice, personally.)

I honestly don't know very much about the early days of development for the Narnia film series. :-?
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby PhelanVelvel » May 26, 2014 10:28 pm

I have no clue either. :U But he does this intro thing for each book of the Focus on the Family radio drama, and he just sounds like a proponent of publication order through the way he introduces LWW. I think it's just bizarre, it's like he acknowledges that LWW is first by having it first in all these other media, but doesn't think it should be read first? Come on.

Actually, as far as the radio drama, I think I'm a derp. They're ordered chronologically in my download file, I've just been subconsciously listening to them in publication order lol.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby King_Erlian » May 29, 2014 4:23 am

I don't think it's such a big deal whether films of the Chronicles of Narnia appear in publication or chronological order. After all, publication order follows chronological order for the first four books, then there are two "flashback" stories - one to just before the last page of LWW, the other to the very beginning of Narnia - and then chronological order is resumed in Book 7 from shortly after where Book 4 left off. The way the books are written, it suggests reading them in the order they were published as the narrator goes to some lengths in LWW to introduce Narnia and Aslan, while in HHB and MN he assumes the reader knows about them already; but when adapting the stories into films, they could be treated slightly differently so that a film of MN, say, could make more of introducing the idea of Narnia to the audience. On the other hand, many successful film and TV series have "flashback" episodes that provide backstory, and then normal chronology is resumed in subsequent episodes. I think the main reason that LWW is done first is because for many people, LWW is the only Narnia story they've ever heard of.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru