This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Most Terrafying creature

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Most Terrafying creature

Postby jewel » May 07, 2014 12:12 pm

For me in Narnia I would say old Tash. Although the white whitch and the sorceress of Prince Caspian may follow next. How about you all?
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Most Terrafying creature

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 05, 2014 10:53 am

It's been so long that I can't remember my initial impressions, but I'm pretty sure it's a toss-up between the Lady of the Green Kirtle and Tash.

Tash--so you have the Calormens essentially repeating the Telmarine invasion. When that happened, Narnia as we know it hunkered down to weather the storm and then Aslan came to reawaken and revitalize Narnia and all was well. But this time Tash shows up and takes that hope of hiding away and... things don't go like last time when Aslan came roaring in to defeat the White Witch.

The Lady of the Green Kirtle is more subtlety terrifying--though I would not want to face a snake that's bigger than I am under any circumstances--but the loss of hope she brings with just a few words of her enchantment is scary.

Walking down the hall in the Magician's House when everything is invisible is nerve wracking, but that's not a creature, so it doesn't count. :p
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby coracle » Jul 05, 2014 1:27 pm

In the books, I am not sure. If we include the movies, definitely the Sea Serpent!! That thing was nasty and kept changing.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 05, 2014 2:59 pm

I think I'm definitely going to go with the werewolf in Prince Caspian. He gives me the creeps.

Prince Caspian, Chapter 12 wrote:A dull, gray voice at which Peter's flesh crept replied, "I'm hunger. I'm thirst. Where I bite, I hold till I die, and even after death they must cut out my mouthful from my enemy's body and bury it with me. I can fast a hundred years and not die. I can lie a hundred nights on the ice and not freeze. I can drink a river of blood and not burst. Show me your enemies."

Would not want to meet that chap in a dark alleyway. *shudders*
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby aileth » Jul 22, 2014 9:47 am

I think I would go with Tash. He sounded like the demon that the Calormenes accused Aslan of being. And I particularly think of Rishda Tarkaan's response, he who had not believed in his own religion's deity, and found that he was mistaken.

It would appear that Dark Island and Tash shared some characteristics--both were brought about by one's own command. Rishda called for Tash, Tash appeared. The dreams of Dark Island were each person's individual fears taking form.

Also, Tash did not seem to be destroyed. At least, not that we saw. Peter did not slay him, he only told him to go to his own place. To all intents and purposes, he was gone, I suppose. He was certainly not in the new Narnia.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 22, 2014 10:25 am

coracle wrote: If we include the movies, definitely the Sea Serpent!! That thing was nasty and kept changing.
That was a truly nightmarish design--much different than the single-minded threat posed by the creature in the book. (I always laugh when the book serpent noses the broken bits and pieces and can't figure out where the ship had gone.)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby jewel » Jul 26, 2014 12:46 pm

Meltintalle wrote:It's been so long that I can't remember my initial impressions, but I'm pretty sure it's a toss-up between the Lady of the Green Kirtle and Tash.

Tash--so you have the Calormens essentially repeating the Telmarine invasion. When that happened, Narnia as we know it hunkered down to weather the storm and then Aslan came to reawaken and revitalize Narnia and all was well. But this time Tash shows up and takes that hope of hiding away and... things don't go like last time when Aslan came roaring in to defeat the White Witch.

The Lady of the Green Kirtle is more subtlety terrifying--though I would not want to face a snake that's bigger than I am under any circumstances--but the loss of hope she brings with just a few words of her enchantment is scary.

Walking down the hall in the Magician's House when everything is invisible is nerve wracking, but that's not a creature, so it doesn't count. :p

Certainly. That is a good point. Because as you put it, Tash was fearful in one way, but the lady of the green kirtle tried to make them loose hope.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut