This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Land

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Favorite Land

Postby jewel » Jan 27, 2014 1:08 pm

Of the Narnian world include the following countries and islands: Narnia, Wild Lands of the North, Ettinsmoor, Western Wild, Calormen, Archenland, Telmar, The Lone Islands, and some others. What land would you like to live in best.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Favorite Land

Postby King_Erlian » Jan 28, 2014 8:45 am

Good question! I bet a lot of people would immediately say "Narnia". But (assuming I remain human) I think I'd feel a bit uncomfortable in Narnia, unless some human towns remained after peace was established between the Telmarines and the Old Narnians. It looks as if the only humans living in Narnia during the Golden Age were the Pevensies themselves in Cair Paravel. Archenland appears to be the "human annexe" to Narnia, but if it's all as mountainous as it seems from The Horse And His Boy, it sounds too cold for my taste. I'd want at least some of the comforts of home, so uninhabited or "uncivilised" parts such as the Western Wild or Ettinsmoor don't appeal. It's a pity we know nothing of what Telmar was like, especially by Caspian's time - how had it developed since Caspian the First left it? I might go for a small town in Calormen - warm, sunny and away from the Tisroc (may he NOT live for ever) and the injustices of Tashbaan. Somewhere on the Calormene coast - like being in the Caribbean in this world.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Impending Doom » Jan 28, 2014 9:08 am

Oohh! That's a tough one. Well I'm a nature boy so I'd would want to live somewhere heavily forested with a waterfall! So I guess that leaves me in the western corner of Lantern Waste near Cauldron's Pool. Preferably during the Golden Age. :D
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Ohh, goodness—it's so difficult to choose! I'm pretty sure that if I lived in Narnia, I'd have to be a nomad because I know I'd want to travel everywhere and see everything. That would be a bit of a challenge, too, considering that transporting a dryad's tree is tricky business. ;))

If I could only pick one... hmm. Misty mountains really tug at my heart, so a place like Archenland is very appealing. I also love the seashore, so Cair Paravel is equally attractive. I think I might be stuck splitting time between the two. ;)) As for the region of the secret garden mentioned in my location—I am afraid it is so secret that even I do not know where it is. :P

King Erlian, I got a good chuckle out of "may he NOT live for ever"! :))
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Thunder-Fist » Feb 04, 2014 8:19 pm

That is a difficult one. Hmm. The land that intrigues me the most is Archenland. It seems to have a very medieval feel to it, and I love the soaring mountains and rich valleys. I'd love to learn more about the history of the country. But I think that I'd like to live where the dwarves Duffle, Rogin, and Bricklethumb live. A little house on a hillside with a smoking chimney. Bacon, eggs, mushrooms, and toast for breakfast. Surrounded by a cheerful countryside full of content (if a bit spoiled) talking beasts. And its just a hop over from Archenland so I could go hiking up over the mountains to explore and visit.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -C.S. Lewis
Thunder-Fist
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Aslanisthebest » Feb 07, 2014 8:28 pm

I'd have to say Archenland, too. Narnia is lovely, of course, but like many have mentioned, the topography of Archenland and the laid-back, indepedent-type nature of the country is appealing. Narnia seems to be where all the action, political or otherwise, takes place, whereas Archenland is more pastoral. HHB being my favourite book might have something to do with my inclination towards Archenland. ;))
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby wild rose » Feb 08, 2014 8:05 am

oof, what a touch question. I'm trying to decide between Narnia and Archenland. *thinks*
I could take the mountains that seperata Archenland from Narnia, that way it's sort of right in the middle of both ;))

But if I really had to choose between the two, I think I'd take Narnia after all. It would be fascinating to live next to talking animals, and I'd love to have dwarves for neighbours, and know there are dryads in the woods and nyads in the waters. I really love all the mythical creatures of Narnia and would love nothing better than to live among them :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Adeona » May 15, 2014 1:05 am

I wasn't sure where to include this, and didn't want to make a new topic, so here's a bit of trivia I stumbled on in the dictionary today: the word "bisme" means a pit or deep chasm (it's related to "abyss") - hence, the country of Bism!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby PhelanVelvel » May 15, 2014 1:37 pm

King_Erlian wrote:I might go for a small town in Calormen - warm, sunny and away from the Tisroc (may he NOT live for ever)

I lol'd heartily. As for me, even if I remained a human, I think I'd still like to live alongside the talking animals. I've always felt comfortable around animals, so I can imagine it'd be even easier to be their friends if they talked. I'd like to hang out with talking wolves, so I'd live wherever they did. Maybe in the forests to the north, near Lantern Waste and the location of Jadis' old castle? Seems like there were plenty of wolves living there.

Despite what the books might say on the subject, I'm pretty sure I'd be good enough friends with at least one talking horse to ride on their back. :P I can imagine if you were a talking horse and you spent a lot of time with a human, you wouldn't always want to go at a walking pace or wait for them to catch up to you. Seems pretty impractical to me. If rolling isn't dishonourable, I'm sure a talking horse who liked to carry friends from time to time wouldn't be considered dishonourable either.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 15, 2014 2:57 pm

I'd probably like a setup similar to that of the Hermit of the Southern March. Out in the middle of nowhere, secluded, and up in the mountains just sounds like me.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 17, 2014 2:45 pm

I'd want to live somewhere in Narnia and then take frequent roadtrips. Or sailing trips, because it would be interesting to visit the Lone Islands!
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel