This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What are some things you simply assume happened?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

What are some things you simply assume happened?

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Nov 14, 2013 9:32 am

Anything that could have happened, but was not elaborated on, I mean. What are some things you simply assume?
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: What are some things you simply assume happened?

Postby coracle » Nov 14, 2013 7:21 pm

I assume that Aslan killed the White Witch in some way. Whether it was due to her being so scared that she fell fatally down a cliff, I don't care. I do prefer to assume that he was NOT eating her as some have have suggested they saw in the 2005 movie.
Edit: Just noticed that I had omitted "not' above - completely changed my meaning!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Impending Doom » Nov 30, 2013 8:18 am

SarahHighland wrote:I've always wondered what happened to Experiment House after the events of TSC. Do Eustace and Jill still attend it etc.?

Welcome to NarniaWeb SarahHighland!

Well at the end of SC, the Head rang up the police with stories of lions, escaped convicts who destroyed an entire wall and carried drawn swords. The police arrived at the Experiment House quickly and found nothing. The Head began behaving like a lunatic which lead to inquiries, and then all the horrid things about the school came into light and 10 kids were suspended! And as for the Head she was found to be not fit to be Head any longer and later got into Parliament. Lewis notes that from that day forward the Experiment House changed for the better and became quite a good school! Who would of thought!
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 27, 2014 8:24 pm

coracle wrote:I assume that Aslan killed the White Witch in some way. Whether it was due to her being so scared that she fell fatally down a cliff, I don't care. I do prefer to assume that he was NOT eating her as some have have suggested they saw in the 2005 movie.

I think it's very safe to assume that. I don't have the book handy at the moment, but I think it's at the beginning of the last chapter where Lewis writes that the White Witch's followers fled "when they saw that she was dead." So yes, she was visibly dead, even though Lewis doesn't tell us exactly how she was slain.

SarahHighland wrote:Also I wonder what happened to Uncle Andrew from TMN after the events of that book?

I believe it says in MN that after Digory's father returned and his family moved out to the country, living in the house that the Pevensies would visit in LWW, Uncle Andrew came with them (or joined them later—I'd check, but I don't have the book handy) and became a nicer person. It said that he still enjoyed telling people the story of when he showed "a dem fine woman" around London for a day, if I remember correctly.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Ryadian » Jul 27, 2014 9:46 pm

A very interesting question, AnimalOfNarnia! :) I know there've been a few times where I had to go back and double-check something in the book because I'd assumed something and started remembering it that way. ;))

One thing that sticks out to me is from the end of LWW, when we find out that Edmund was badly wounded after taking out the White Witch's wand. I know this is probably because both the BBC and Walden versions do it this way, but--it's really easy to assume that he was wounded in the act of destroying the wand. Especially so since that emphasizes the courage of what he did, and shows just how different he is from the boy who betrayed his family in the first place. However, officially, the book does not say that--it merely mentions that he was badly wounded immediately after describing that he destroyed it. (And it may be that that was intentional, that C. S. Lewis wanted the readers to interpret it that way, but as it stands, it's still an assumption.)

Admittedly, this one has more to do with my family, but when I was a child, I assumed that the age differences between the children was the same as it was in my family (which would be 4 years-2 years-4 years). ;)) See, I'm in a family of four children, two boys and two girls, and the gender switched back and forth between births. ;) The only difference is that my family goes girl-boy-girl-boy instead of boy-girl-boy-girl. I also tended to assume that the main character of every book was about my age (whatever that age was at the time), until I hit about 13-14, and this was especially true of Lucy (since I was the younger girl, clearly I was Lucy).
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby fledge1 » Jul 12, 2017 6:30 am

I have always wondered how the white witch became so evil. I know in MN they briefly talk about her time in Charn, but I assume as a child resentment started, then greed, then need of power. I would love to learn more about her character while in Charn. I always assumed that she had a pretty good life being royalty but just got sick of never being the top. Kind of like Edmond's relationship to Peter in the beginning.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut