This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

So did Bree quit his "rolling habit"?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

So did Bree quit his "rolling habit"?

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Oct 22, 2013 2:29 pm

I know Hwin said she wouldn't, whether Narnian horses do or not, but I originally assumed Bree stopped, because he took his last one towards the end. But wikipedia said he followed Hwin's lead, and that one was "just in case".
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: So did Bree stop rolling, then?

Postby Impending Doom » Nov 06, 2013 6:03 pm

AslanTheLion wrote:I know Hwin said she would, whether Narnian horses do or not (atta-girl! ;) ), but I originally assumed Bree stopped, because he took his last one towards the end.

Bree said it may be his last. BIG difference! :)

Obviously its impossible to know for certain if Bree did stop rolling. But the Focus On The Family Radio Theater concluded he did stop. They extended the scene when Shasta introduces Aravis, Bree and Hwin at Anvard. After Aravis leaves with Queen Lucy to get properly washed, King Lune invites the horses to use the castle's stables, have a good wash, get something to eat, and to roll around with the royal horses. Bree says in shock "Roll in the grass? The talking horses do that?"
Lune says "Of course they do! They wouldn't be talking Horses if they didn't."
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 06, 2013 11:25 pm

Impending Doom wrote:Obviously its impossible to know for certain if Bree did stop rolling. But the Focus On The Family Radio Theater concluded he did stop.

Did he stop doing what? I'll have to listen to that CD again, but am almost certain that what Bree did stop was being so snooty about what horses did or didn't do.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Nov 07, 2013 5:06 am

I am fairly positive that Bree didn't stop rolling. He ended up marrying a Narnian mare, and I can't see Narnian mares being so uppity as to marry somebody who wouldn't roll around in the grass ;))
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Impending Doom » Nov 07, 2013 9:38 am

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:I am fairly positive that Bree didn't stop rolling. He ended up marrying a Narnian mare, and I can't see Narnian mares being so uppity as to marry somebody who wouldn't roll around in the grass ;))

That was my bad! 8-} I meant Bree didn't stop rolling.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Nov 12, 2013 12:04 pm

Well, that clears things up.
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lion's Emblem » Nov 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Yeah, I have to agree with everything that's been said. There's no way to know the definite answer to whether or not Bree stopped rolling (but, that's the greatness of C.S. Lewis' writings - we use our imaginations and make it our own).

I would say that Bree continued to roll based on one thing. There comes a time in our lives when we feel embarassed or ashamed of the things we like to do because those around us do not or they look at us differently because we do (i.e. horses rolling). But with time and wisdom we realize none of that matters, it's silly thinking. Which I think stands true with C.S. Lewis himself if you look at what he said about reading children's stories and the "desire to be very grown-up."
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Nov 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Those radio dramas sure were interesting, considering all they added/took out.
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aileth » Jul 22, 2014 10:41 am

I don't doubt that he continued to roll. After all, even bad habits are hard to get rid of -- look at how many people continue to smoke, or chew their nails -- and rolling could not be considered a particularly harmful habit.

Once he got over his pride and narcissism, he would surely see that it was really an insignificant matter. As if anyone would notice what he did or didn't do :)

The funny thing about it is that he must have been worrying over it the whole journey. Shasta laughed at him near the beginning, and though he doesn't mention it again till near the end. So while they were in peril in Tashbaan, while they were crossing the desert, and possibly even while they were racing to outdo Rabadash, that little thought was still bothering him.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub