This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Another topic I made I really hate.

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Another topic I made I really hate.

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Sep 06, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm sorry about all this. It's just...I was going through a weird time.
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Anyone but me really like Bree?

Postby wild rose » Sep 13, 2013 1:24 pm

I loved Bree too, I especially loved his character development in the book. The Horse and His Boy is my favorite of the Narnia series. I always imagined Bree as a very large horse. Not far away from where I live there is a guy who owns a lot of horses and one of them is really, really large. She's a mare, and is a mix of two very big breeds of horses. When I saw her I thought of what Bree might look like (only of course, Bree is a stallion :p ) Maybe I'll post a picture of the horse to give a better picture, I'll just have to see if I have one. I always thought of Bree as being tough and strong and perhaps just a bit weather beaten, seeing as he had gone through many battles and hardships at the hands of his master. I still haven't lost hope that perhaps one day they'll make The Horse and His Boy into a movie and we'll be able to see Bree on screen. Oh and I also really like how Lewis called it The Horse and His Boy, it gives a lot more attention to Bree and signifies him as one of the main characters :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Oct 21, 2013 9:05 pm

wild rose wrote: I still haven't lost hope that perhaps one day they'll make The Horse and His Boy into a movie and we'll be able to see Bree on screen.

Let's hope! :)

wild rose wrote: Oh and I also really like how Lewis called it The Horse and His Boy, it gives a lot more attention to Bree and signifies him as one of the main characters :)

That's what I said, though since I did I found this out...

"Bree, however, finds this phrasing prejudiced and believes it's just as fair to say that the children are the horses' humans. Hence the title."

Well, he really can't put it better than that! ;)
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Impending Doom » Oct 23, 2013 3:39 pm

No you are the only person who likes Bree ;)

Besides Shasta, Bree is my favourite character in HHB. I love his transition from a proud Calormen war-horse to a humble free Narnian. I've always wished Lewis would of had him at the Battle Of Anvard, because we've heared about other battles in which he particapted in (Teebeth, Zulindreh etc) but never got to see him actually fight... :ymsmug:
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Yes, HHB is my favourite Narnian book, too. Here's hoping that it does get filmed as it is a really exciting book, from Shasta's escape to his final reunion with his own family.

I'd always imagined Bree to be like one of the glossily groomed police horses we see at big events, like the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, a street parade or to ensure orderliness at street protests. You know, very well-trained and reasonably well-maintained. Perhaps a bit showier, like the Austrian Lippizaner horses or those Spanish horses. Though I'd see Bree as experienced, I wouldn't see him as particularly worn down, as Anradin valued him as a top warhorse and Bree, himself, knew it.

Our horses, the ones I see, that is, are usually Walers, that is to say from New South Wales. Sometimes teams of such horses take people around in carriages on tourist trips, and some I've seen seemed to recognise each other, calling out greetings to fellow stablemates they pass along the street. It doesn't seem all that far-fetched to see horses talking to each other. Of course, Walers, like the horse in our local high school agricultural plot, aren't bred for racing, though I think Hwin might have been, being of a lighter and more agile build than Bree.

Most horses I've seen that looked well-cared for, seem very proud, especially the racehorses in the sports pages. I'd imagine that most of them could be the sort that might get annoyed at having his/her tail trimmed untidily. That is one of my favourite bits in HHB. I keep wondering how his tail was done beforehand, or if it was tied back like I've also seen done?

I'll be thinking about Bree and Hwin on Tuesday fortnight, when the Melbourne Cup is run. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot