This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Did Anradin know?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Did Anradin know?

Postby King_Erlian » Jan 08, 2013 5:57 am

I've put this in a spoiler in case people haven't read The Horse And His Boy and don't want the plot revealed in advance.

At the beginning of The Horse And His Boy, Anradin Tarkaan came to Arsheesh's hut to buy Shasta as a slave. It seems a bit odd that he should just turn up out of the blue. Is it possible that he knew (or strongly suspected) who Shasta was? The story of the abduction of the Prince of Archenland may have been common knowledge among the senior Tarkaans, especially as the Tisroc was in part behind it. Could Anradin have heard about the existence of a fair-skinned boy of more or less the right age living in that part of Calormen, put two and two together and decided to buy him, not to use as a common slave but to offer to King Lune at a vastly inflated price and pocket a tidy profit?

Thoughts, anyone?
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Did Anradin know?

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm

I think it's safe to say that if you haven't read all of the books, and still wish to stay spoiler free, than this section might not be the best place to frequent. This book's been out for more than 50 years, so I think it's safe to get rid of the spoiler. Otherwise, this entire thread will be in spoilers.

It's a very interesting argument; one that I'd never considered before.

My own personal ideas about Anradin are that he's portrayed as a bit of a coward. He rides about on a war-horse rather than a light mare, which either demonstrates a proud or ostentatious attitude, or fear. His beard is dyed crimson, which I think could be used to unnerve the opponent (or at least make them think twice about it). He also uses a lance - a weapon for killing at a distance rather than getting "up close and personal." All of these things scream "cowardice" and "fear" to me.

If those attributes are true, then it would make very good sense for your argument to be upheld King_Erlian. I do not think that Anradin knew anything about Shasta when he arrived at Arsheesh's hut. . . but somebody who was well brought up in Calormene society would have doubtless heard about Lord Bar to some extent (even if the details about his treachery would have probably been kept classified). Then again. . . as Anradin is not only a Tarkhaan, but also a warrior in the Tisroc's army (as is illustrated by his participation in the battle at Anvard) could very well be an indication that he knew more about Bar's betrayal, and therefore would have known what to look for in Shasta.

Either way, excellent thread! I cannot wait to see what others think.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 08, 2013 3:49 pm

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:My own personal ideas about Anradin are that he's portrayed as a bit of a coward. He rides about on a war-horse rather than a light mare, which either demonstrates a proud or ostentatious attitude, or fear. His beard is dyed crimson, which I think could be used to unnerve the opponent (or at least make them think twice about it). He also uses a lance - a weapon for killing at a distance rather than getting "up close and personal." All of these things scream "cowardice" and "fear" to me.

No, I don't think Anradin is cowardly or fearful at all. Bree certainly doesn't give that impression since he has had quite a career as a cavalry horse, and has taken part in a lot of battles, such as the Battle of Zalindreh. Bree is Anradin's favourite warhorse, and he knows it. It is quite likely that Anradin might have known about the machinations of Lord Bar in the service of the Tisroc. But to allow Arsheesh to raise Shasta, it must be assumed that the Tisroc's agents probably wrote off the missing baby, considering him drowned at sea or something.

I do think that Anradin is ostentatious, (Austen Tatious? :D) and very vain. The crimson beard tells me that. None of the other Tarkaans at Anvard had a crimson beard, even when dressed the same as Anradin. Some of this vanity probably rubbed off on Bree as well. And I am wondering exactly why Anradin would be going to Tashbaan at that moment in time, anyway. Had he been summoned for an anticipated invasion of Anvard? That the wedding Rabadash was planning for himself and Susan was a trap, whichever way she decided? Or was the get-up the correct garb for Tarkaans visiting Tashbaan, Tehishbaan, Azim Balda or anywhere else? (Tehishbaan sounds so onomatopoeic, like a clash of cymbals) Calormene society, was, after all, a very militaristic society.

What I also consider is what Bree said. He and Anradin had already passed a village, and I expect it was the same village that C.S.Lewis said Shasta had visited with Arsheesh on fishy business. No doubt the villagers regarded Arsheesh's claims that Shasta was his son as a bit fishy as well. And it seems that Arsheesh entertained people at his hut, so it was more than likely that someone had told Anradin of the existence of a noticeably fair complexioned boy at Arsheesh's place.

It wouldn't take much for Anradin to find out in the village, even if he didn't know for certain beforehand. I think that even if there was no ulterior motive in dressing like that to visit Tashbaan, he loved being able to intimidate others into doing what he wanted. Like demanding board and lodging at Arsheesh's place. Perhaps King_Erlian is onto something. Was Anradin actually on the hunt for Shasta?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Wagga wrote:Bree certainly doesn't give that impression since he has had quite a career as a cavalry horse

Do you think that Bree, the horse that Aslan calls "poor and proud" would ever admit to being owned by a coward? What's more, do you think a Tarkhaan would illustrate his cowardice around his war horse? Not likely as the horse and he would probably only be seen together in public, where Anradin's reputation could be at stake.

I'm only basing my argument of cowardice on a "close reading" of the book. Nit-picking out little details that are easy to overlook. They are by no means "facts," but there is textual support for my argument, as was listed above.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 08, 2013 5:35 pm

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:Do you think that Bree, the horse that Aslan calls "poor and proud" would ever admit to being owned by a coward? What's more, do you think a Tarkhaan would illustrate his cowardice around his war horse? Not likely as the horse and he would probably only be seen together in public, where Anradin's reputation could be at stake.

Yes, it is necessary to nitpick to tease out details. What you are suggesting, really, is that there are more than one sorts of courage. Anradin would probably not behave like Aravis or Emeth. Maybe you are saying that what Anradin lacks is moral courage, not the sort of courage needed in battle? What we can gather from Bree's tale and from Shasta's life in the first chapter is the following:

1. Anradin needs to keep up his reputation

2. Anradin doesn't mind intimidating those Calormenes who are less well-off than himself.

3. Anradin treats his slaves poorly. Not Bree because Bree is an expensive warhorse and is part of Anradin's public image.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby lionsmane13 » Jan 26, 2013 3:01 pm

I had not considered the possibility that Anradin may have known the truth about, or at least suspected the true identity of Shasta. If a movie gets made of this story I can see them making this kind of connection and featuring Anradin hunting for Shasta. Such an interpretation could add an interesting element to the character.

As for him being a coward, I see it as a possible interpretation of the character depending on your definition of coward. He seems to have enough courage to fight in battles, though perhaps it could be argued that he is lacking courage of a different sort. His reputation certainly is of great importance to him, so if he was cowardly he would probably try to be subtle about it and not show his cowardice fully except in private or under special circumstances.
lionsmane13
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, lionsmane13. :) And yes, I can see that sort of interpretation put in any reading of HHB.

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:What's more, do you think a Tarkhaan would illustrate his cowardice around his war horse?

I've just thought of something. Anradin never knew that Bree could talk, observe and reason. He thought that Bree was just another horse, even if Bree was more responsive and alert than many of the other horses in Anradin's stable. So even though both Anradin and Bree were on display when together, Bree could still get the measure of Anradin such as in planning Shasta's and Bree's escape.

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:Do you think that Bree, the horse that Aslan calls "poor and proud" would ever admit to being owned by a coward?

It depends on which stage of Bree's character development he was at. Even when Bree heard that Anradin was at Anvard he would not have called his former master a coward. But Bree, himself, on the trip to Anvard had been proud and vain. He had to admit he was terrified of lions, and that the risk of being reclaimed by a Tarkaan was preferable to him than the chance of falling victim to one. Bree was ashamed that he ran away and left Aravis and Hwin to face Aslan on their own. He was also fearful that he would not be the outstanding horse he could not help being in Calormen, and would only be the same as all the other horses.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby King_Erlian » Mar 01, 2013 6:45 am

Another HHB plot point: why didn't Corin know who Shasta was when he first saw him? He could see that the boy in his room was a near-exact duplicate of himself. If he had known about the existence of his elder brother, why didn't he think that Shasta might be him and persuade him to stay, so that he could take him to his (their) father? The only reasons I can think of are:

1) His parents kept the knowledge of the existence of his twin brother from him.
2) He was just a bit dim.
3) He was so preoccupied with his own thoughts and adventures that he couldn't see what was in front of his nose.

Thoughts, anyone?
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DOECOG » Apr 06, 2013 10:02 am

King_Erlian you raise a good question. I can only conclude that Corrin either did not know he had a twin or he had been told that his twin died as an infant and he was never given all of the details about Cor's kidnapping. But even these two explanations have some problems. Even if Corrin’s parents didn’t tell him everything, Cor’s kidnapping would have been a major story that people gossiped about for years. I can’t imagine that Corrin would never learn from someone what really happened to his brother.

Another question is, how come none of the Narnians figured out who Shasta was? Corrin told Shasta that when he left he was going to tell Susan, Edmund, and the others that the other boy was Corrin’s double. I know they were preoccupied trying to escape, but I think one of them would have figured it out.
DOECOG
Daughter Of Eve
Child Of God
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are... 1 John 3:1
DOECOG
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Apr 06, 2013 2:04 pm

There is a certain amount of story telling convention in this tale, with people not noticing details that the reader does. That's okay.
There is no comment about whether fair-coloured people were common in Calormen; apart from slaves who else would be living there? If there weren't any, no wonder Edmund assumed Shasta was Corin. I would assume Shasta was fairly grubby and scruffy, and even his hair might be darker due to dirt.

The idea that Anradin was secretly watching out for any possible claimant to the Archenland throne is interesting. It reminds me of the less well known part of the Oliver Twist story (worth reading!) in which we find out that Oliver wasn't just any workhouse runaway.
However I am a bit doubtful that Lewis intended it to be backstory, and he just wanted a slave.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Varnafinde » Apr 06, 2013 3:59 pm

I think it's plausible both that Corin hasn't been told about his brother, and that the Narnians took Shasta for Corin.

I've seen a theory that Edmund, on the other hand, might have realised the truth when the true Corin turned up. He just didn't speak to anyone about it.

Imagine Edmund's plight. He will have to go back to King Lune and tell him, "I had your lost son right with me for a few hours, but then I lost him again, and now he's gone." In the middle of all the other problems they had right then, with tricking the Calormenes to trust them so that they could run away, I also think it's plausible that he would keep this problem to himself until the other problems were sorted out.

And then there was a battle to take care of - and then the problem sorted itself out by Shasta turning up again before Edmund needed to talk to his father. I'm sure he was almost as happy as King Lune ...
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Varnafinde wrote:I've seen a theory that Edmund, on the other hand, might have realised the truth when the true Corin turned up. He just didn't speak to anyone about it.

Edmund wouldn't like admitting he made a possibly deadly mistake in picking up the wrong boy. And judging by his reaction when Shasta and Corin met up again in Southern Narnia, I expect he was really worried what sort of person he did pick up. Yes, the boy did look uncannily like Shasta - more so, probably when Rogin, Duffle and Bricklethumb hosted him whilst Edmund was being warned. By then, Shasta would have been somewhat less grimy, once he had gone swimming when he, Aravis, Hwin and Bree had crossed into Archenland.

Corin, of course, would have told the truth, no matter what, about his escapade and about the strange boy Edmund mistook him for, who had heard all their plans of escape and who, Edmund feared, could betray their plans to those in authority in Tashbaan. I expect there was plenty of discussion on board the Splendour Hyaline, with Tumnus, the Raven and Queen Susan, who would have seen both boys in Tashbaan. I suspect strongly that Edmund merely gave Shasta the benefit of the doubt, hoping for the best up until they all met up again on the way to Anvard, where for the first time both boys could be seen side by side.

If Edmund realised the truth at all, it would have been then, and it would not only be him, but also Lucy, whom King Lune described as a "dear friend of our court". This is one bit that I would have loved to see in a film.

Coracle wrote:However I am a bit doubtful that Lewis intended it to be backstory, and he just wanted a slave.

At the end of the story Shasta or Cor does give a bit of the backstory, or as much as could be told to a boy of 14 from whose point of view HHB was told. And who, like Oliver Twist, had a better background than his circumstances in Arsheesh's hovel would suggest.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby narnia fan 7 » Oct 20, 2013 4:14 pm

To be honest I have never considered that Anradin may have known or suspected the truth about Shasta I always thought that as Bree says that he was just on his way to Tashbaan although now that I think about it it is a bit strange that a Tarkaan someone who most likely has more servants then he has use for would what to buy some random fisherman's servant so perhaps he did know or suspect something.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru