This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

HUGE plothole in books!

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: HUGE plothole in books!

Postby Clive Staples Sibelius » Nov 25, 2009 3:38 pm

I've just been reading Prince Caspian again....and it occured to me that we never find out what happens to Miraz's newborn son. At least, I can't remember any passage that mentions it...
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed."- CS Lewis
Clive Staples Sibelius
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 26, 2009 3:49 am

Lewis probalay forgot about them being alseep while he was writting and never picked it up every time he reread it and editied it. Things like this always happen in books.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Nov 27, 2009 6:11 pm

Clive Staples Sibelius wrote:I've just been reading Prince Caspian again....and it occured to me that we never find out what happens to Miraz's newborn son. At least, I can't remember any passage that mentions it...
It is never mentioned. I always imagined that a group Telmarines went off and lived in a secluded part of Narnia and tried to forget about all the talking animals around and that the queen and the baby were part of that group. There is absolutely no bases for that in the book though. 8-}
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Nov 27, 2009 8:03 pm

I'm going to have to grab my copy of PC and check it, but I know in the movie Caspian's aunt and the baby go through Aslan's door. I always thought it was the same in the books...but I could be wrong. :ymblushing: *will go to double check that*
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Nov 28, 2009 8:57 am

Clive Staples Sibelius wrote:I've just been reading Prince Caspian again....and it occured to me that we never find out what happens to Miraz's newborn son. At least, I can't remember any passage that mentions it...

We don't, but that's not a plothole. It's just something that we're curious about. I'd like to know what happens to them too, but Lewis didn't think that it was necessary to the plot to tell that story. He may not have liked Aunt Prunaprismia just as Caspian didn't like her, and didn't care to write about her further. :p
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby Aslan's general » Dec 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Perhaps it was the last of the dryads before they all went to sleep. Or as has been suggested it could have been a dryad awoken by Aslan or it could have been something Reepicheep saw in a dream.
Aslan's general

Postby -centaur- » Dec 25, 2009 3:05 pm

That's a very good point. :| I think it makes the most sense if Reepicheep saw her in a dream.

Another character that must be very old is Tumnus. I'm not sure how old fauns live to be, but after the winter has lasted one hundred years, he still remembers the summers.
-centaur-
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 31, 2009 8:07 pm

-centaur-: but Lewis didn't say that Reepicheep saw her in a dream.....
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Queen Lucy of Narnia » Jan 02, 2010 12:43 pm

I've never tought about that! Wow...

When it's about the dryad and Reep, I think he is telling the truth. He might have seen her in a dream, but I don't think so to be honest. There was Narnians who was in the woods and was hiding from Miraz and his men. You example have the bears and dwarfs. Even tought the trees went silent, maybe not evrybody did? It was maybe a couple of dryads who was hididng in the woods and then one of them talked with Reep? It may not be like that, it's just a guess from me.
Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death
And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.
Queen Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Puddleglum » Jan 05, 2010 4:17 pm

One other possible problem in the story is in LWW. The hundred year winter. Now I know that the witches dwarf mentions something about there having been an ordinary "thaw". But think about it, if there had been no summer at all there would be no possible food source for the woodland creatures. Nuts, berries, any greens, etc.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Jan 06, 2010 3:09 pm

that's also true. I'm sure there are alot of things we could pick at in the books, but after all it is a fantasy series so I think maybe we should give Lewis a bit of slack...
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Puddleglum: you are right! so if there was no food source, how did all the anilmals survive? :-\ hmmmmm.....
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Puddleglum » Jan 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Possibly trade with other lands? Such might be insinuated by chapters in A Horse and His Boy. Also, If Jadis was the "Queen of the Lone Islands" than she might have had some trade going.
But, I believe someone made the point already that Lewis was only human, therefor we must permit some lattitude.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby daughter of the King » Jan 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Puddleglum wrote:One other possible problem in the story is in LWW. The hundred year winter. Now I know that the witches dwarf mentions something about there having been an ordinary "thaw". But think about it, if there had been no summer at all there would be no possible food source for the woodland creatures. Nuts, berries, any greens, etc.

You can either take this theory, or you can leave it--it is a little far-fetched.
The White Witch places a spell on Narnia that instantly freezes it, so none of that year's harvest survives. A band of forest creatures form a Narnian black market and they smuggle food in from Archenland. The beavers were the main leaders in this group. The White Witch, upon discovery of this rebellion, proceeds to stamp out all of the beavers (I got this idea from PC. Nikabrik says in I-yet-again-forget-which-chapter-but-I-think-it's-Sorcery-and-Sudden-Vengeance that the witch stamped out the beavers). By the time the Pevensies arrive in Narnia, Mr. and Mrs. Beaver are the only beavers left alive in all of Narnia. They're dam is strategically placed where the two main rivers of Narnia intersect. Other creatures involved in the black market are the birds (such as the robin and the bird who told Mr. Beaver which way the wolves took Mr. Tumnus), and Mr. Tumnus (there could be more). However, Mr. Tumnus was caught by the witch. After finding out where Mr. Tumnus lives (near Lantern Waste, which is an obvious spot for humans to enter since that's where they landed the first time), she lets him go, after he is told to bring any humans he may find to her. Anyway, that's how Mr. and Mrs. Beaver are able to provide the Pevensies with an excellent dinner and how the woodland animals survived the hundred year winter.
Yes, I know it's kind of crazy.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 07, 2010 7:10 pm

I don't think that your idea is horribly far-fetched, dotK. It certainly is as credible as any of the other ideas, which, let's face it, cannot be tested no matter what.

It is worth noting to say that there are some plants that bloom in winter (precious few I know), and some vegetables can be grown indoors (tomatoes for example).

This reminds me of a very funny exchange between C.S. Lewis and Joy Davidman in the movie "Shadowlands" The movie that's a biographical film about Lewis' life (Anthony Hopkins plays Lewis for those who haven't seen the film).

She asked this exact same question, and followed up with, "I suppose that there would have been a thriving black market for potatoes in Narnia though." To which Jack only laughed, which. . . I suppose, is what we too must do.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Puddleglum » Jan 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Given the european love of gardening I suppose the indore garden is not that far fetched. As for a black market, a possibility there. After all, there were enough creatures about who hated the witch to make up an army. Must have been someone with wits enough to run a black market.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext